FIFA World Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by DallasGooner, Oct 5, 2004.

1. DallasGooner

DallasGooner Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3717770.stm

Henry of course made the short list. Pires did also. Rooney did for some reason too. I like Henry's chances this year.

Adriano (Brazil)
    Roberto Ayala (Argentina)
    Michael Ballack (Germany)
    Milan Baros (Czech Rep)
    David Beckham (England)
    Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
    Cafu (Brazil)
    Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal)
    Deco (Portugal)
    Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast)
    Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon)
    Luis Figo (Portugal)
    Steven Gerrard (England)
    Ryan Giggs (Wales)
    Thierry Henry (France)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden)
    Oliver Kahn (Germany)
    Kaka (Brazil)
    Frank Lampard (England)
    Henrik Larsson (Sweden)
    Roy Makaay (Holland)
    Paolo Maldini (Italy)
    Pavel Nedved (Czech Rep)
    Alessandro Nesta (Italy)
    Michael Owen (England)
    Robert Pires (France)
    Raul (Spain)
    Roberto Carlos (Brazil)
    Ronaldinho (Brazil)
    Ronaldo (Brazil)
    Wayne Rooney (England)
    Andrej Shevchenko (Ukraine)
    Ruud van Nistelrooy (Holland)
    Theodoros Zagorakis (Greece)
    Zinedine Zidane (France)

2. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I really think its going to be between Ronaldinho, Henry, And Shevchenko.

3. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    I would include Pavel Nedved in that also.

4. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    I would vote for deco but it's gonna be a big name player that wins it.

5. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ditto.

6. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Nedved's decision to bow down from NT play will DQ him ultimately. And I don't think that Juventus will continue to do so well in Serie A after they have to play teams better than Brescia. Also, Ibrahimovic is scoring in bushels, and he will draw some attention away from Nedved, even if Juve wins the Italian Cup.

7. W26 D12 L0

W26 D12 L0 New Member

Oct 1, 2004
    Miami
    The idea of having a FIFA world player of the year is great but the shortlist usually gets filled by the reputations of players rather than performance.
    Henry should have run away with the award last year but didn't.

Can someone please tell me how Beckham, Owen, Rooney (he had a great euro2004 but what about the rest of the year?), Raul and roberto carlos are on the list?

I do think Henry will win because he missed out on both major awards last year and has been on form for the last two years (along w/ ronaldinho).

8. rgrayson

rgrayson New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Rooney, Baros and Adriano all had superb tournaments with their countries this year thats why theyre on definatly there. The only reason Henry wont get it is because of EURO in my opinion.

But why no Ashley Cole? :(

9. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Defenders are always shortchanged in this kind of voting. Just the nature of the beast. Just like no offensive linemen or cornerbacks will ever win the MVP in football.

If I was voting, my vote would have to go to Ballack.

10. Fuller10

Fuller10 New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Jamaica
    Henry should have run away with the title i think your getting confused its nedved who should have ran away with the title after helping Juventus to the final of the Champions league and winning the serie A title and then scoring some amazing Goals along the way thats why they gave him european player of the year because they knew that he should have been the player of the year because most of the fans voted for him.

11. footballer10

footballer10 New Member

May 14, 2001
    Flower Mound, TX
    Well, voting happens next month so I don't think that will affect him.

12. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That would be my top 3 as well.

13. Fuller10

Fuller10 New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Jamaica
    My FiFa world player of the is between two great players who have been overlooked by most coaches Andriy Shevchenko and Pavel Nedved and i know either of them will not get it because of the big name players like Zidane or Ronaldo. also henry has a good chance of winning it this year

14. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I dont think any Real Madrid player will get it this year.

15. MLG_FC

MLG_FC New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    If performances in Euro mean anything, where the heck is Silvestre?

(kidding)

16. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    Why in the world is Raul on the list? I agree that Ronaldinho, Henry, and Schevchenko are the top three. Its obvious that Henry should win it, but I could easily see Schevchenko win it. Ronnie has a better shot next year and is a lock after the next world cup.

17. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    I think Ronaldinho will edge out Henry for the award. Sheva will be third, but the race is really between Ronnie and Thierry.

18. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

I really think Henry will take it because He was Robbed last year. But Sheva has a major chance. Henry and Sheva are the same age so it will be tight. Ronaldinho is a great player, but because he is young he will have to wait. And like King HenryXIV Said, after the next world cup Ronnie will have that World Player of Year award on Lock.

-N1

19. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    As much as I love him as a player, Henry wasn't robbed anywhere close to the way Nedved was, and I dislike both Juve and the Czechs.

I really hate to say this but I think C. Ronaldo is going to take this award. He was a bright spot on a (relatively) poor Manu team and he played well for Portugal in both tournaments this summer.

I'd really like to see the entire Greek team share the award, but that'll never happen.

20. PokerNSoccer

PokerNSoccer New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    Area 51 Chicago
    Henry has to be #1 this year, last year was close when he came second to Zizou.

21. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    1st of all Nedved got the European award so he was not totally robbed.

How could you say Ronaldo is going to get the award? Yeah, he is good but there is no way they will give it to a 19 year old over Henry and Shevchenko.

22. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Ronaldinho will get it. Henry's poor showing in the European Championships for France (and France's form in general) will count against him. Against that, Ronaldinho inspired a poor Barca side into a Champions League spot that looked like it was never on last season (even though Edgar Davids had a lot to do with it also) and has them at the top of La Liga at the moment. He's also looked great in the few clips I've seen of him playing for Brazil too.

23. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I really think this is Henry's last chance to get the Award. Thats why they will give it to him. Ronnie is still young so he will most likely get it next year. This year is going to most likely be between Henry and Shevchenko, with Ronnie coming in a close third.

24. babyduck85

babyduck85 New Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Malaysia
    well, i gotta say i hope henry wins it... yeah, i know he didn't do very well at euro but his sheer class in the league should be enough to impress anyone... but ronaldinho is a worthy winner too...

25. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Yup - thats where my vote would go, and for pretty much the same reasons.

Good post..