Fifa World Player of the Year - 2002

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by usain2010, Jul 25, 2002.

1. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    what if veron starts to play to his potential at man utd. ... he could of been in contention if he had performed at the world cup

2. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ballack. He almost singlehandedly carried Germany to the World Cup final, not to mention his stellar season for Leverkusen last year.

3. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Roberto Carlos can be immensely frustrating, particularly for Real Madrid fans. More often than not nowadays he'd rather try and go for el gran golazo than actually pass the ball, and his freekicks have the same irritating directness to them.

4. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. In the two most important tournaments last year I thought he was the best player in both. It's a shame he didn't win anything because he deserved to.

5. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    so far my conclusions tell me that fifas short list will probably include

Ronaldo
    Ballack

and one other person

what about Requilme??? its a shame he didnt make argentinas world cup squad! and if he does well for barcelona in his first ffew months you never know

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris Carrieri

7. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Fifa World Player Of The Year 2002

Without a damn doubt Ballack.

8. idi amin

idi amin New Member

when was the last time Roberto carlos made a tackle, i can't recall

9. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    on brazils wing backs

perhaps cafu should be mentioned ahead of roberto carlos... especially since cafu captained brazil to a world title and is probably a little better than roberto carlos

10. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    Re: Re: update

Two votes for Mathis!

11. Poirot

Poirot New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    USA
    Mathis? Are you joking? If you are going to pick a US player, pick Reyna or Donovan or Beasley, or even Friedel... but Mathis? hahahaha

For real, my favorite players are

1. Ronaldo
    2. Kahn
    3. Roberto Carlos
    4. Raul
    5. Zidane
    6. Scholes
    7. Rivaldo
    8. Ballack
    9. Ronaldinho

12. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    remember this is a thred for the purpose of figuring out fifas possible candidates for player of the year honors, not favorite players

13. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, your right, Paul Scholes is better than Rivaldo, Ballack, and Ronaldinho.

14. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    the interesting thing about this years awards is that it seems wide open to some degree because the coaches of the national teams vote for who they think should win it

15. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    update

for some reason i think ronaldo will win it... afterall if he has a good start to the first half of the season with inter, that will be the story of the year in soccer... and therefore hed be odds on favorite for fifa world player of the year as well as the golden ball for european player of the year

16. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And some of them don't have half a brain. You should see some of the choices by the coaches. It's a joke. I think Russell Latapy got a vote once.

17. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

It's funny, because beckham will always do better then any United player when 90% of the United fans rate Giggs and Keane higher, it's all done on reputation.

18. Absurdo

Absurdo New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    Las Vegas
    Fifa world player of the year

I Think at this point it has to be Ronaldo. You have to take into account the fact that he had a great World Cup (after 2 years of hell) and a great World Cup always takes precedence over a good season, based on past FIFA winners.
    We will have to wait and see what kind of season he has with Inter, if he can keep up his form he will probably take the prize.

19. Se Me Dao

Se Me Dao New Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Just to make a point -

You can't have two people who "single-handedly carried" a team.

If Ballack and Kahn both have followings who believe they "carried" Germany, maybe that is evidence that neither of them did it alone?

Maybe?

;)

20. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Looking at the crystal ball...

It will be:

Ronaldo
    Ballack
    and Diouf in the running????? oooo im evil that guy is awesome i love him!

21. idi amin

idi amin New Member

best 4

diouf - african player of year, french title w/lens, wc peformances, decent dancer

Ballack- leverkeusen fine cl run, single handedly taking Germany to wc final(i give him some props for making my boy gerrard play the fool on that nice goal againt the pool 2nd leg qt cl)

Ronaldo - overrated world cup winner, any decent striker would have broken just fontaines world cup goal tally record with the chances and services ronnie had, but nike owns him and many footbal;l executives w/clout, so expect him on the ballot

Any korean player for showing the italians how primitive they are, will they ever learn

22. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    who cares about how many chances you have its about how many chances you score and ronaldo has an exemplary record for goal scoring throughout his career... his overall goals per game average is something like .833 over the span of a decade... thats nearly a goal a game!!! therefore he is an entertainer as well as a performer who takes his job seriously and knows how to cope with the pressures of the modern game

but your definately right about who you would pick for the ballots...

ronaldo- agreed
    ballack- agreed
    diouf- agreed
    ne one on the korean team- agreed, id go with JH Ahn for his golden goal against Italy... but id put their entire team on the ballot i loved those guys!!! KOREA is my team in asia from now on they can play some great football!!! YEH COREA!!!!!!

23. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    for the record idi amin Ronaldo did not break Just Fontaines goal record!!!

24. idi amin

idi amin New Member

i didm't say that, your poor english interpreted that way, i reccomend hooked on phonics

25. oakydoaks

oakydoaks New Member

Apr 29, 2002
    Denver, CO
    His freekick against Costa Rica.