Fifa World Player of the Year - 2002

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by usain2010, Jul 25, 2002.

1. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Fifa World Player Of The Year 2002

Who's gonna be World Player of the year this year?

I think it will be Ronaldo. But other candidates could be

2. KennyUva

KennyUva New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Roberto Carlos won the World Cup and Champions League, and he might be the best left back ever...

3. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    Oliver Khan or Ronaldo. It all depends on Ronaldo's upcoming season.

4. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    I'll take Roberto Carlos as well. He is the key to both Real and Brazil NT. It is hard to say that he is underrated because he was selected to the all FIFA team, but I still think he is not given enough credit for his solid play.

5. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    just to give the mathis people a rush---

CLINT MATHIS

6. kickin365

kickin365 Member+

Mar 4, 2002
    Hands Down..

Jeff Agoos

For Real - Ronaldo or Kahn

7. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    update

so the short list so far looks like this (not in any specific order!)

1. Ronaldo
    2. Kahn
    3. Roberto Carlos
    4. Mathis

8. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Just to freshen this love-in up a little, why not another Brazilian, Lucio?

Outstanding in an outstanding Leverkusen team (runners-up in German cup and league and Champions' League - no mean feat). For example, remember that winner he scored against Liverpool, as well as the equaliser in the CL Final?

He was also the defensive rock alongside Roque Junior on which the Brazilians won the World Cup.

Some season.

9. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Ronaldo is the best bet if you want to go to your local bookie, but personally I would prefer Roberto Carlos. I like the idea of a defender being Player of the Year (has it ever happened?), even though when watching Brazil play it's often hard to believe he's not an offensive midfielder. But that's part of what makes him so good.

10. KennyUva

KennyUva New Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Ballack shouldn't be left out either even though he's German...

11. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Re: update

Errrmmm..... no.
    Talk about getting carried away!

12. FootyMundo

FootyMundo New Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Ronaldo should win but I won't be surprised if Kahn does.

13. dogbyte

dogbyte New Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Ronaldo has to perform this season to win. He only played a couple games before the world cup. Kahn won't win, even if deserving, because he is a keeper, and he has had occasional stinkers like the 5-1 loss to England. Roberto Carlos is over rated.
    Can anybody tell me other than the China free kick, how many of those he has hit in the last 2 years? No idea who should or will win though. Lucio could be a good dark horse candidate. Rivaldo, if he shows form in his new kit this season is not unthinkable. I have a feeling it will be a Brazilian unless they don't perform in the first half of the new season.

14. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Re: update

Now really - there were several US players who played better than Mathis during the World Cup. (Beasley, Donovan, JOB, McBride to name just a few.) In fact, he was quite average for the US squad. And nobody on the US team is anywhere close to contending for FIFA player of the year. Perhaps Landon will in time but even that is wishful thinking.

I'd vote for Kahn; best player at the World Cup despite his lapses in the final game. I guess you can only single-handedly carry your team for so long.

15. Maczebus

Maczebus Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I may be wrong on this but, despite the fact he has a go at every other Brazil free kick, his last goal from one of his trademark free kicks was the 'wonder goal' in Le Tournoi in 1997.
    5 years is a long time, particularly when its meant to be a speciality of his.

16. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    update

what about ronaldinho??? what a beast... his face is as scary looking as his ability... my player of the tournament if it wasnt for the red card against england

17. usain2010

usain2010 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    and what about players who didnt participate in the world cup like shevchenko and van nistelrooy, or a guy like denilson might win if perhaps he ever decides to stop slowing down his team's attacks

18. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either Kahn or Ronaldo. Have to wait until at least November to see how they do this season. Ballack should also be there in the running.

19. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ROBERTO CARLOS? Gimme a break! Name one decent play he made in the WC. He sucks and he's WAY over-rated. Kahn is a good goalie, but he's not as legendary as people say he is. His toughest match other than Brazil was against the US. Ronaldo should win I guess, I don't like Brazil though. :(

20. paulo

paulo Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Atlanta
    dark horse

speaking of defenders, the fifa world player of the year nearly always goes to a big name player on a big name team. If ManU stomps through the first half of Premiereship season - don't be surprised to see Rio Ferdinand get votes and perhaps win. People will attribute the turnaround to Rio's defense and England's defenders were highly rated for the world cup. The safe money is on Ronaldo (Nike may have a hand in this) who sponsors Rio? I see some players always seem to have the edge in these awards and if Rio lands a big endorsement deal...

21. khsoccergeek

khsoccergeek New Member

Jan 10, 2002
    West Virginia
    Re: dark horse

I think he was in that Scorpion Tournament commercial, so he must be a Nike as well.

22. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Paul Gascoigne

23. gento

gento New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Valencia(Spain)
  24. jeeeesus

jeeeesus New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    catch a grip with this roberto carlos thing... he's not even the best wing back in brazil, let alone the best footballer in the world. his runs are eye-catching, but he wastes possession far too often to be considered.

i'd give it to zidane just for that goal. if he'd been fit in the world cup he might be in contention.

25. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Ronaldo????

Surely the winner has to at least play club-level football during the year. Before the WC, I would have said Henry or Zidane, but it looks wide open now.