FIFA World Cup: Argentina v. Switzerland (Round of 16) - July 1, 2014

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Diego Maradona

Diego Maradona Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    London, England
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    we need Aguero back and I think the coach needs to have the shit kicked out of him for leaving Tevez who had a GREAT season

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    F*ck Tevez! The guy is not even watching the games. Just shows the attitude.

He was hardly a world beater in 2010 also.

aerez and RacingGirl repped this.
  3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We need him now, especially with Higuain and Aguero clearly not match fit.

4. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013

We need a #9 not Tevez

5. bsas

bsas Member

May 27, 2004
    Switzerland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have seen Tevez banging against a wall of defenders too many times. He is obstinate and wants to break defenses on his own, then gets annoyed and gets a red. It's a 50/50 situation with him.

Great player, obviously (he's my fav player on my profile), but brings too much baggage.

We do have good players to build a strong team against Belgium.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That's what I'm afraid of, remember the last time we faced Belgium at the WC?

[​IMG]

In that game Diego took matter into his own hands and beat the bunker singlehandedly. We might need Lionel to do the same.

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Right. It's a shame he got the yellow, but Rojo had to commit the tactical foul in that play. The way the game was going, you couldn't afford to give the Swiss the chance at a breakaway and a possible goal. In that situation you just have to foul, and you worry about the next game only after this one is over.

Albiceleste2010, Pipiolo and canis repped this.
  8. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We could have brought 6 strikers , instead of loading with 8 midfielders which we are not using

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually that photo was from 1982 WC , Belgium successfully kicking him out of the game in that match but 1986, it didnt matter how many players in front of him.

Jaweirdo and Pipiolo repped this.
  10. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Firstly Tevez has done sod all for the NT so can we stop banging that dead drum. Secondly it's entirely Tevez's fault he is not a part of the NT anymore, have people forgotten his constant moaning and whinging about having to sit in first class and fly to South America so he could get himself sent off in qualifying games, remember him wanting to retire from international football. Thirdly, the guy is a trouble maker, why do you think France did not take Nasri, he is one of there best players, because he is a shit stirrer, same as Tevez. So please just stop with the Tevez nonsense.

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  11. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Buenos Aires the moment of Di Maria's winner. (two webcams)

12. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    #412 johnbarley2, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
    Sabella's most important idea in this match was to move Di Maria to the right wing in order to try to break the bunker with long range shooting rather than crosses (like we tried vs Iran) and knew that Messi's opportunities would be limited as the defense collapsed on him. I'm not sure if it really worked but Di Maria did have the great shot in the top right corner that the keeper saved and the winner from this. He ended up with 12 shots total which is maybe a record for him.

Mostly disappointed with Gago here. He didn't provide the link to our 4 forwards. That's the reason he is on the team. Think it's time to go with either Enzo or Biglia. Both scan score from midfield and Biglia at least is much better defensively. I think Gago has only made one Veron type pass in this WC (brilliant pass to Higuain against Iran) and hasn't been great defensively either.

Higuain continues to add very little, especially against these deep defenses.

FF is having an awful tournament. I figured him for a real gamer who wouldn't choke.

Thought Sabella should have used the 3rd sub much earlier as we were looking deflated in midfield.

Pipiolo repped this.
  13. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'd like to hear Andrea Bocelli sing this.

Ave Di Maria
    Golazo pleno
    Di Maria, golazo pleno
    Di Maria, golazo pleno

Ave, ave Messi
    Dominus asisti
    Benedicta tu asisti in mundiale
    Et benedictus
    Et benedictus Lio Messi
    Assisti tuae, Lio Messi
    Ave Di Maria

Gol Di Maria
    Gol Di Maria
    Di Mariiiiiiiia
    Minutis Finalis

Ave Di Maria
    Golazo Dei
    Ora minutis finalis
    Ora Finalis
    Ora, ora minutis finalis

Nunc et extra time abandonis
    Et in extra time triunfaris
    Ave Di Maria,
    Aaaaveeeee

bsas, aerez and canis repped this.
  14. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yep, the flipside is that lavezzi just dissapeared from the match. But anyway, who would start him as a RM? Just sabella...

15. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    It wasn't a bad idea but yeah if we were going to play Di Maria as right winger rather than left mf/winger I would have used Enzo rather than Lavezzi on the left. Lavezzi can play either wing but our midfield was lacking without Di Maria on the left and I think Messi's 6 tackles and 2 shots are evidence of that.

Albiceleste2010 and canis repped this.
  16. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Pretty much agree with all of these .What about Pipa?

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oops, I skipped him. I give him a 5. A couple of headers from difficult positions and little more.

18. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    He did win his first header of the tournament. :eek:

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And at least he did get out of the way of Di Maria at the end

20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...f-16-july-1-2014.2007226/page-6#post-30596700

I wonder what they have been doing in training. They looked shaky yet again on setpieces. You cannot afford to let your guard drop for a second yet at one corner only Gago was aware and was doubled on allowing diver into the box with ease.

And when di Maria scored celebrating is all very well but they just did not play keep ball and offered up another chance to the Swiss for free and again the marking was poor.

Garay's card should be appealed and rescinded. It was a joke. The referee too was dreadful. Xhaka should have been sent off. 29 fouls from Switzerland several of which were yellow card worthy.

Nonetheless even though we expected the Swiss to bunker, the movement of the ball was too slow and there was little movement off it. When Sabella went to four up front they all remained in a line. That is so simple for defenders. No one coming short. No one going deep or wide. Messi did not move enough either to try and pull their defence out of shape.

No use was made of Messi being double marked by exploiting the space because of a lack of movement off the ball and the slow passing. Sabellas substitutions were puzzling too. Perez not used and Maxi with his experience. What worries me also is that only a few players had been practicing penalties. What ? All of them need to practice for every eventuality.

Romero is a good instinctive keeper but when asked to think as on the Drmic chance he hesitates and is lost. His handling ie juggling the ball after a free kick also betrays nervousness.

Rojo was superb as he has been in all the games and will make a worthy centreback partner for Garay in his natural role. Credit to Palacio for creating the chance for the goal as well and the perseverance of Angelito.

I think I aged a few years during that game as well as having to listen to more rubbish from the BBC commentators including the winker Lawrenson and his comment about diving. And like SM has mentioned it was great to see those Brazilians shut up.

RacingGirl repped this.
  21. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    His default run ASF to create space except di Maria had popped up on the right not left......;) Higgy needs a massive kick up the backside. If he is not fit as it seems to be drop him. I still wonder what made him play a meaningless Coppa Italia game and exacerbate some sort of injury. If the others had taken the lead of Leo they wouldn't be struggling as much. Manchester City also deserve blame for their treatment of Kun as do Barcelona with Messi and his hamstring issues.

22. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Everyone get out of the way and let Di Maria run. His energy is amazing. Usually cause of his style he's exhausted at 75'. In this match he just kept running. There's currently no player in the world who's as active as Angel.

23. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I noticed the sour Selecao supporter behind first....:p

Pipiolo repped this.
  24. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Heart of a lion. If he had been allowed he'd have ripped off Shaqiri's head. Almost as bad a diver as Klinsmann the master (cheat).

25. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All hail the real Messiah.....;)