FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    .... and then they decided to stage it in the only one where footy is not even top.3

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    1) Soccer is the most popular sport in South Africa by a mile.
    2) Even if it wasn't, which it is, that World Cup more than any other (before 2026, at least) felt like a whole continent/region was hosting.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  3. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    forget what you might reed in internet. I've been there at least ten times, not even close to rugby and cricket

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    This is often the perception because white culture still comes across stronger to an outsider. But in the black communities, soccer is #1. Which means its #1 in South Africa.

Also, rugby and cricket aren't global sports so even if only a small segment of a country's population plays it, chances are that country will still be among the best in the world at it. Look at Argentina rugby. And that can create a false assumption that the sport must be huge there.

5. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    not completely wrong for sure, but they took me to a couple of rugby games and one cricket game as well (dear was that boooooring!!!!), my perception was quite different.
    morocco, egypt or any other of usual suspects would have been much better choice. of course, most of them could not host at all due to bad infrastructure, but IMHO south africa was awful choice. not as bad as qatar of course, but still awful. same applies to USA as well btw.

6. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I had no problem with Africa hosting the WC. Though not there, I suspect the atmosphere was pretty good, with one MAJOR exception.

This

upload_2024-3-14_11-30-2.jpeg
    probably ruined the atmosphere for, and the hearing of, many thousands/millions of fans.

NorthBank repped this.
  7. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm REALLY not a fan of vuvuzelas. Praying they don't have any significant part of WC'26.

PJ234 repped this.
  8. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Yes. I know the reasons, but if you look at the map, it just looks wrong. Chicago and Denver are just such logical venues.

BocaFan repped this.
  9. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    I kind of miss that sound of bees swarming as you were approaching the stadiums. I still have my vuvuzela that I bought at the final. I remember South African guys trying to teach Brazilians how to “play” them outside the stadium before the quarterfinal in Port Elizabeth. Very funny. We had a great time in South Africa. Fantastic travel destination. Great World Cup experience. Great memories.

BocaFan repped this.
  10. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    #2735 Marius Tresor, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    Has there ever been a World Cup where the 3rd largest city (metro area) in the country was not a venue? Or the capital for that matter (USA and Canada)?

What about the second largest city in the country, in the case of Canada (Montreal)?

And wasn’t the Denver issue that Colorado would not give FIFA the tax-free status they demanded?

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Qatar had a lot of firsts and sweeping under the rugs of many trends and rules for Hosts/cities.

Having a World Cup in three nations makes it more bearable that there are weird things happening and firsts.

As for Denver that tax issue may be the issue but having one venue at altitude and the others at or near sea level does not make sense either. Unless you put both Denver and Azteca matches in the same Group but that is quite a flight.

12. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Well, they did get it mostly right, from a logistical/logical perspective, except for Chicago, Montreal, D.C., and maybe Denver. But Kansas City? It’s almost like a “which one of these things is not like the others” exercise. And to give Kansas City a quarterfinal? Really? This isn’t some regional tournament where you can be expected to return favors for loyalty. I guess we know at which venue it should be the easiest to get tickets.

HomietheClown repped this.
  13. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a city doesn't want to bid (Chicago) or won't do what's necessary to provide a stadium that meets requirements (Montreal and DC), what is FIFA supposed to do?

r0adrunner repped this.
  14. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago didn't bid. They wanted nothing to do with the circus.

r0adrunner repped this.
  15. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    foreign fans will be pleasantly surprised by KC imo. As someone who has been to 5 World Cups, I do a few token tourist things but all I really want to do is watch soccer and eat good food. Kansas City BBQ is top tier and if the USA actually had a unique food, BBQ is a good choice. I will be trying to see a game in KC this round and will absolutely spend it watching and eating.

I am still bitter my city wasn't chosen even though it never realistically had a shot. It would have been the biggest shitshow/party and it would have been amazing. One of the few places in the country where you can drink in the streets and one of the most miserable places to be in the summer... what could go wrong? lol

ValenAle. and HomietheClown repped this.
  16. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    2010 WC wasn't that good

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Next time we host and it is a 64 team tournament all NFL stadiums will probably host. :p

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its not exactly La Paz though. Denver are at the low end of when altitude just starts to become a bit noticeable. I think it has more to do with $$$$$. Kansas City is so boring though. Ugh!

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Athletes still get affected by the altitude in Colorado and the ball does weird things in all sports.

20. Felix Herve Caroll

Jun 1, 2015
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ivory Coast
    Dallas: An Early Look at 2026 FIFA World Cup Logistics

[​IMG]

DMagazine

soccer_23 repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's an activation spot?

22. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    #2747 soccer_23, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Wow, I was actually coming to this thread to post about this article ... :)

Having just spent a long weekend in Dallas for the Nations League Finals, it's an interesting read. Some key points:

The main Fan Fest will be at the Fair Park / Cotton Bowl area. Good choice. It's close enough to downtown Dallas, some train lines, and the restaurants/bars of Deep Ellum.

Sounds like they're planning to have shuttle buses to the stadium from the Centrepoint/DFW DART station. But that's really far away, slow, and logistically complicated. No one is actually going to use that. Hopefully they wise up and have continuous shuttle buses running from the Fan Fest, downtown Dallas, DFW airport, and somewhere in Fort Worth on gameday. Just like the 2018 and 2022 World Cups.
    Currently, the only ways to get to the stadium are Uber and self-driving. On the plus side, there's definitely more than enough parking in the stadium vicinity, even if FIFA closes off all the closer lots for security/VIP. The Texas Live entertainment complex will be great before and after matches, in addition to regular tailgating.

As that phrase was used in Qatar, it's basically FIFA lingo for an area that will have sponsor booths, games, giveways, music, Instragram-able displays, and maybe some screens showing games. Like a miniature Fan Fest.

23. ValenAle.

ValenAle. Member

Port Vale
    Scotland
    May 31, 2021
    Well, currently planning to attend games in Atlanta, Houston (meh!), Dallas/FW (meh!) and KC as part of a 3 week road trip (also to pick up all the ‘boring Midwestish’ US States and compete my 50 collection).

Transport is one of the ‘How are they going to do that?’ questions and not looking forward to getting sun baked at Arrowhead! :mad:

Although, probably won’t get any tickets, so it will just be a partly hot and humid 3 week road trip! :rolleyes:

BocaFan repped this.
  24. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    AI came 12 years too late.

25. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis