FIFA World Cup '26: News & Analysis

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Jun 27, 2018.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    3pm NY time is alot more convenient for viewers in China and India than a vast majority of the rest of the matches. Beside, by the time the final rolls around, they should be used to watching football in the middle of the night.

2. Cheetah101

Cheetah101 Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably true, but wow, what an awful time for the players and, well, anyone in the stadium.

Hopefully there will be cloud cover and low humidity (not sure if that is meteorologically possible for an east coast summer)...so I am guessing at least 1 water break per half.

At least in Dallas it would have been air conditioned...

3. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    That was always one of the best arguments for Dallas (or LA). 3pm on July 19th in New Jersey could be absolutely brutal.

marianelah and HomietheClown repped this.
  4. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strong journalism quoting knowledgeable and influential sources such as "one user on X", "another user on X", and "a soccer fan on X".

majspike repped this.
  5. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    25 = 77
    30 = 86
    Screenshot_20240205_192111_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Ric_Braz repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    :confused: I am confused about Qatar. Is that a projection of what could have been if it was played in July, or what the temperature actually was (in December, at night)?

soccer_23 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  7. DCU_USMNT

DCU_USMNT Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hoping the heat will keep the casual fan at home. Any little help with reducing demand is a plus especially for the final.

8. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    No i was in the final, it was like 22 celsius, perfect spring weather

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Don't think we'll know the weather forecast 6-10 months in advance, when the WC final will already be sold out.

And even if we could, no, it would not impact demand for tickets. Let's remember that fans watch 4-hour baseball games in mid-summer afternoons throughout this country. The issue is the impact on the players.

soccer_23 and mazinio repped this.
  10. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Loads of people will visit from abroad and try to rent a car for the duration, I'm sure some will get stuck in traffic but yeah, cr**loads of buses from, like, mall parking lots will be the way to go.

And come on, Rose Bowl? Doesn't that still have bleachers in large sections? This was always going to be a modern stadium with lots of corporate facilities. @Paul Calixte not bad for Vancouver to go from a 0.01% chance to 7 games :D pretty delighted between this and the chance to get tickets for games in Seattle too

BocaFan, soccer_23 and Paul Calixte repped this.
  11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    This seems like BS or based in the original time (JUL). DEC tournament temps were fine, and for NOV even for earlier 3PM games , temps were certainly not > 40C + . The only "bad" games were the early games in the 1st 2 weeks were in-stadium temps hit something like ~33

If the chart is truthful, it must be showing avg daily temp, for starters, and its likely using a time period that was not the WC's exactly.

In any case, the temps in Qatar for the most part were certainly comparable to northeast weather in peak summer (July). And the stadiums in Qatar were far more modern, with AC, and with some roof.

Make of that that what you will !

soccer_23 repped this.
  12. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foreign FA's tend to distribute tickets via travel agencies. I imagine most foreign fans will be on organized tours.

soccer_23 repped this.
  13. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014

Yeah I think it’s pretty clear that graphic was a projection of how hot an outdoor Qatar final would’ve been in July. It was not 104 F on Dec 19th, 2022 in Doha.

Temperatures were chilly by the end of the tournament, even during the day as the sun went away after the group stage. I was consistently wearing pants and packing a jacket for night games by the end.

14. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I don’t think *most* will be, but it’s very common for African and Asian countries, especially when the tournament is in a country where they wouldn’t be able to speak the native language. Less of a problem in the US, as knowledge of English is very widespread worldwide.

But based on what I’ve seen at past World Cups, I think most European and Latin American fans will be traveling independently.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, definitely a mistake with the Qatar bar but the rest of the chart seems realistic. And there is a very good chance that the temperature at kick off for the 2026 final surpasses all the finals presented in that chart. But don't worry, fans, you can cool yourself off with a $19 Bud lite. :thumbsup:

16. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than those Bud Z's in Qatar.

soccer_23 repped this.
  17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's NYC in July. It might be in the 70s (F). It might be in the 90s. It might be comfortable. It might be oppressive humidity. It might be sunny. There might be tornadoes.

Cheetah101 repped this.
  18. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Point of order, to avoid misleading fellow forum participants.

India is now the most populous nation in our planet, and it has already proven a competitive market for Men's WC broadcasting rights:

SBS (KOR) paid close to 30M USD for 2022 WC TV rights.

Viacom18 (IND) paid close to 54M USD for the same TV rights.

Viacom18's payment remains 1.8% of 2022 WC TV rights revenue, but it almost doubled its South Korean counterpart's expenditure.

FIFA would be foolish to dismiss both Asian markets as *unimportant*.

r0adrunner repped this.
  19. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Viacom18 covers India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka which incorporates a quarter of the World's population. A quarter of the World's TV rights for under 2% of the revenue.

Marius Tresor repped this.
  20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it was a mistake. I think it was a slide done when Qatar was contesting or just won the bid, but BEFORE the decision to shift it to Winter. You can see the left side of the slide it says average June night.

p.s. Great example of how convincing looking data can be pretty misleading if you don't give a good inspection.

p.p.s. 3pm in mid-July in the Meadowlands could very likely be HHH.

BocaFan repped this.
  21. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    maybe regading the temperatures a kick off at 12 pm is even better than 3 pm

22. Gibraldo

Gibraldo Member+

radnicki nis
    Serbia
    Nov 17, 2005
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    there is an upate on fifa

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/to...atch-schedule-fixtures-results-teams-stadiums

so they number the 4 matches on a day kind of counter-clockwise going from east to west to the south.

If a day has a match at mexican venue, it is always the last match of a day, if you look closely.

i guess they want to have evening matches in Guadalajara, Mexico City and Monterrey to avoid high temperature plus altitude together.

marianelah repped this.
  23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great find! :thumbsup:

But if your interpretation is correct: why the hell are they playing so many early games in Miami... in June?! :eek: There's a reason the Copa América matches here will be at nighttime...

If you want an example of what playing early afternoon in the Florida summer looks like (and/or to cure insomnia), have a watch and spare a thought for the players and fans who were actually there... including my parents :oops:

24. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that is what is meant. FIFA has stated that they reserve the right to move games within a day to change the teams and times.

r0adrunner and Paul Calixte repped this.
  25. soccer_23

soccer_23 Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Miami shares its group stage gamedays with Atlanta and

1. Two west coast games
    2. Two Mexican games
    3. Dallas/KC

I guess that makes Atlanta a likely bet for many 12pm ET kickoffs. Miami can play at 3pm ET or maybe switch with a west coast game to get 6pm ET or later. I’m sure a lot will also depend on the teams in each match.

r0adrunner and Paul Calixte repped this.