FIFA World Cup 2018 - Round of 16: Argentina vs. France - June 30 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If that's true then it would be 10 vs 11 ... well its 9 vs 11 if Biglia and Higuain play.

Albiceleste2010 and Christina99 repped this.
  2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    No no no
    Let's all pray for Enzo

soul24rage repped this.
  3. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Proud of you Bostero!!

(Patón tiene que estar en el arco. Pero... bue.)

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  4. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #129 Buffonfan, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    [​IMG]

I'm nervous, perhaps it might come down to 1-1, let hope Argentina won't give France ANY penalty kick. (Like the silly example of Mascherano in the last game).

Since my team not even make it to 2018WCup, Argentina is the closest team I root for. I hope they win, part of me still say they can do it if they really commit to it.

I can't wait till Saturday over so I can move on with my life (at least I know if Argentina make it or not). I been ignoring my husband eversince this WCup started, lol, my eyes is like glue to the TV. My husband he not really a soccer fan. In our Chinese/Vietnamese language, we call it soccer, as to English call it football.

GO GO Argentina!!

5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006

Very good analysis. Shows how great Banega was but unfortunately it also shows how bad mascherano can be at times. I was shocked because I remember him having a better game than that. I think mascherano is our weak link unfortunately he's too old

6. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #131 Buffonfan, Jun 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    Is there any player that can excel Mascherano place at all? Part of me want to leave Mascherano out in this match against France. I'm worry about France might get a penalty kick.

Like in the last match if Rojo didn't score that second goal (where Mascherano put Argentina to a 1-1 tied), we was leading first, then the penalty kick from him tied us. And a drawn at that time meaning we be going home in the group stage. So thank God to Rojo score.
    IF (if here) if Mascherano give another penalty kick and this time to France, and that might mean we out from the quater-finals.
    We don't have three matches chances like how in the group stage is anymore.

7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Argentina fans, who do you think will be you starting lineup vs France? Any chance that Dybala, Messi, and Aguero will all start together in a front three?

8. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What do you think of this?

-Dybala-Aguero-Messi-
    -Di Maria-Biglia-Benenga-Rojo-
    -Fazio-Mascherano-Otamendi-
    -Armani-​

9. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, it would be most likely Aguero or Higuain up front and then Di Maria on the left with Pavon replacing him in second half or vica versa. If Perez fit he'll play on the right like against Nigeria but Sampa (if he's still the man in charge) will certainly pick Biglia as his replacement. I'd prefer Lo Celso over Masche but at this point its hard to imagine Masche to be suddenly dropped.

That penalty for Nigeria was a gift, a soft tanggling like that would have been ignored by the ref 9 out of 10 times. Still, he had made so many passing errors and gets beaten on counter way too easily.

Something needs to be fixed here or it could be another thrashing like the Croatia game. However, I'm not holding my breath to see Masche out from starting 11. We should have learn from Germany's early exit after Loew decided to fields so many veterans who's clearly past their best.

10. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It wont happen, Dybala wont start... its obvious Dybala will not fit anywhere in the current setup. It will be 4-4-2 that can shifted into 4-3-3 during the game.

11. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Jajajaja ni vos te crees esa

Albiceleste2010 and cigar_city repped this.
  12. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Biglia in the midfield and with a back three? Sounds like a fantastic plan but I would do one quick swap, swap Armani and Messi's roles and then I think you have a World Cup winning side.

13. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I want Lo Celso in midfield alongside Banega and Perez or Mascherano (not that i like him, but do we have a replacement for him?) : the rest like Nigeria.

Aguero and Pavon entering at the begging of the 2nd half

14. HollywoodHayat

HollywoodHayat Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    I think Banega will be the CAM if Perez can’t go. However, i’d prefer Lo Celso in a double pivot role behind Banega with Masche over Biglia. Its a bit offensive but Lo Celso has played DM on multiple occasions this season and he can defend better than Biglia.

Rattlehead repped this.
  15. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    tbh Perez hasn't been terrible but Pizarro should have been the replacement. Lo Celso and even Meza can play Perez's current role. This team desperately needs a sub for Masche cuz he cant play good games in succession anymore and they don't have one. i still have hope but the reality is a miracle will be needed for this team to progress. Simply terrible squad selection

16. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    You never know...Sampanico does like to be innovative.

----Otamendi-Fazio-Mash------
    Salvio-----------------------------Acuna
    -------Lo Celso---Banega------------
    ----Messi----------------------Di Maria
    -----------------RojoLoco----------------

Too bad we can't have some fun matches to try weird stuff.

17. johnbarley2

johnbarley2 Member+

Jan 19, 2013
    Banega turns 30.

Mascherano, Biglia, Enzo, Banega all 30+.
    *Creak*

Maybe Lo Celso just has to wait till 2022 before he's "experienced" enough.

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It depends on how we are going to approach the game. If we are going to sit back and counter, then I would put on Pavon, but the problem is that since both Pavon and Di Maria will do a lot of long running supporting both attack and defence, both of them are probably going to be subbed out and the only player in the squad who can do well on that role is Meza. If we are going a bit open from the start then Enzo is better as you said he provides balance and keeps the shape by interchanging with Messi. Put Pavon on at around the 65th minute. It really depends on how we approach the game.

19. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Perez and Pizarro play two complete different roles. Perez is a box to box player who can also play as a right midfielder. Pizarro can replace Biglia though. Meza doesn't have the defensive skills as Perez does and Lo Celso is a left footed Perez so Lo Celso is more suited to the left side than the right side. The only player I would replace Perez is... Lanzini... :cry:

locoxriver and cigar_city repped this.
  20. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Biglia is the bigger problem, I think. We already have Mascherano in midfield, who is not the player he used to be. He still runs a lot but he is a step slower, and perhaps because he gets tired he is more erratic with his passing that he used to be. On the other hand, he is a warrior, he has clearly emerged as this team's leader and brings a lot of intangibles, so at this point I think he is indispensable. This is Mascherano's team, that was clear against Nigeria.

But you have to compensate for having him there. If you pair him with somebody like Biglia, you are not doing him any favors, it exposes his weaknesses.

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What can I say? I really don't like Armani at River, he clearly turned the team around this past season, and as a Bostero I don't approve. But if he does it for the national team, then I'm thrilled.

BTW, I'll take Paton for Boca. :)

cigar_city and Burr repped this.
  23. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Higuain is shot to pieces, you can see it in his eyes, when he missed those 2 chances, he had the look of a man walking to the electric chair. Sure he'll run and work hard, what else can he do, he knows he won't score. It almost seems cruel picking him.

Rattlehead repped this.
  24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Diario Olé responded to L'Équipe's front cover.

[​IMG]

25. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina