FIFA World Cup 2018 in Russia

Discussion in 'Korea' started by killaorca, Jun 10, 2018.

?

Who's going to win the WC?

1. Spain

2. France

3. Argentina

4. Brazil

5. Germany

6. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    You know what fck it let's win this.
    [​IMG]

soul24rage and Hodori repped this.
  2. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Okay ... that photo, taken out of context, does really look suspicious.

3. sac517

sac517 Member+

May 23, 2005
    how is it out of context?? lol

4. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    I mean, if you were only looking at that photo and knew nothing else about the game, it kinda sorta almost looks like those two defenders just fell down on purpose and let the guy run by them.

But if you were watching the game, then you'd realize that this is only probably true - and that there exists a non-zero possibility that the game was clean.

sac517 repped this.
  5. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    I love to see the double standards. Any time someone makes remarks about Korea benefitting from bribery, match-fixing and the like in 2002, most of us say they're sore losers. But in a match where I hardly saw any questionable decisions by the referees except for one missed offside call, everyone has already made up their minds. Saudi Arabia clearly lost their nerve, and the Russians showed up ready to prove the doubters wrong and to prove that thorough preparation and hard work can bring success.

12th Player repped this.
  6. BENJMNS

BENJMNS Member+

Jun 8, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Already got those and your mom’s

sac517 and killaorca repped this.
  7. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Double-standard also applies to when we win, people say it is because refs are too generous to us, the opponent failed to play up to their capability, the opponent missed their key players etc. OTOH when we lose it is because we suck or that's what we can do the best blah blah. I find this very funny everyt time we win or lose lol.

8. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The SAFF was trying to shove unrealistic demands/agendas down Van Marwijk's throat let alone take full control of the whole situation leading up to the WC(Sounds just like the KFA :rolleyes:). And, now they thought their asses be saved by throwing big money at Pizzi, a sellout that crashed Chile out of the WCQs only to jump ship and hitch a ride to Russia. Try imagine Stielike crashing us out of the WC(Which he almost did), then hitching a ride with Japan to go to Russia, the Chileans are still pissed.

Van Marwijk had already laid out his plans/roadmap to Russia, built a good foundation whilst his management took almost immediate effect with team buildup and adjustments within less than a year, and it was clearly visible on how much they were improving since the beginning of his tenure and throughout the WCQs. Van Marwijk had every right to decline the ridiculous terms made by the SAFF, and now another FA's trash becomes another FA's treasure for the Aussies.

killaorca repped this.
  9. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Dude got fcked by both SAFF and KFA.

Seol Korea repped this.
  10. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Yeah ... that's possible.

I don't think the refs made any bad calls. I doubt they were paid off. But I do think Saudi needs to get their defenders some new cleats to stop them from slipping and falling over so easily. They just couldn't stay on their feet for some reason. At times, they resembled forwards diving to draw a penalty.

I'm willing to be open-minded. I think it's reasonable to believe they were overmatched in terms of fitness and mentality, and the big stage in front of a hostile crowd really got to them. And I certainly think the Russians are a better team than Saudi, no matter what the FIFA rankings say.

But, as idle speculation, I wonder if there was any conflict of interest in that Russian and Saudi leaders were literally meeting during the match to negotiate a special partnership ahead of a crucial OPEC meeting, and both have FAs with strong oversight from government interests. I can imagine Saudi leaders suggesting to their team to not to spoil Russia's big day. You don't need to tell them to fix the match or to try to lose. Just - ease off the gas and the pressure in this one, save it for next game.

I think Saudi would've lost this game regardless - but they didn't seem to put much effort towards keeping it competitive. It's the opening game of the friggin World Cup and the one game in which they might have a chance of winning - but they looked entirely passionless and unmotivated. I would've expected players getting angry, committing dumb fouls, arguing with the ref or each other, in the face of the humiliation.

And I will further wildly speculate that if an FA wanted to pull this kind of stunt, one thing they could do is to fire their head coach and bring in a short-term replacement who would have to operate under increased oversight and influence from the FA leadership.

All speculation, of course - and I'm still willing believe this Saudi team just sucks that hard. An alternate explanation could be that with a new coach and some inner team turmoil, maybe they're just not very motivated for this tournament.

However, I'll tell you what I'm sure I didn't see - Russia "showing up to prove the doubters wrong through thorough preparation and hard work". I didn't see that at all. I didn't see a well-drilled, well-organized team out there that was working hard to overachieve. They didn't really look that good at all - they were disjointed and uncoordinated, kind of haphazard in their approach, but let off by Saudi's tremendously incompetent defense. They were fumbling and stumbling, but never punished for it. Motivated, yes - prepared or hard-working, not especially.

They really didn't look good - but Saudi just kept giving them back the ball.

sac517 and Bluewings21 repped this.
  11. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  12. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    How did Suarez miss that? :confused::(

13. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    No clue but things are going as planned for Egypt.

14. chook90

chook90 Member+

South Korea
    Jan 2, 2015
    Al Khor, Qatar
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Egypt seems to be quite adept at applying high pressure.

15. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Btw, Lee Young-pyo cracked up after hearing the word "trick". :laugh:

chook90 repped this.
  16. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Egypt definitely outplayed Uruguay for the entire 1st half. If not for Godin's brilliance on the back, Uruguay would have conceded a goal or more.

17. Bluewings21

Bluewings21 Member

Suwon Samsung Bluewings
    Apr 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The question is whether the Egyptians can maintain the pressure in the 2nd half.

18. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    브라우니, 아니 수아레즈, 물엇!!! (개콘 모르면 이해 못함)

19. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Uruguay's #2 with a great header to steal the game. Wow...

batumchange2 repped this.
  20. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    I had nothing against Egyptians until they moved in upstairs. Very difficult to decide between two notoriously racist nations but I am happy they lost for now.

21. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    The trend is clearly that Korea are far more likely to be victims than beneficiaries of a late drama if there is to be one.

22. batumchange2

batumchange2 Member+

South Korea
    May 6, 2015
    great header is putting it lightly. that was 100% will. he beat three defenders to get the header. he had no business getting that ball to connect

uruguay physically imposing. egypt had a good game plan and executed it brilliantly but uruguay was at another level strength wise. any time egypt looked to get something going uruguay put their bodies in the way

23. Rob_Brighton

Rob_Brighton Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Hiddink agrees with me. Morocco will qualify for knockout rounds and Portugal won't.

24. Fector

Fector Red Card

Jeonbuk FC
    Timor-Leste
    Jun 6, 2017
    Let's be honest. At some level we are all disappointed that Suarez did not bite. As I look deep down into myself I realize that I have been waiting for the World Cup just for it. Suarez Dogo Uruguayo, BITE!!!

25. yhr88

yhr88 Member

South Korea
    Jun 13, 2017
    Guys...I hate to be biased against a team...but I hope Iran gets thrashed by Morocco who are looking very good right now.