FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Iceland - June 16 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There is talent. But the lack of a unified age structure policy is hurting the seleccion. And the advice given to young players. Too often they follow the money before even being remotely mature as footballers. Far too happy many of them to sit on a bench or rot away in the reserves in Europe or go out on loan from club to club.

AFA has to have a policy of overseeing the development of the better juniors. And reviewing what is going on at the canteras of clubs in terms of skills development and also mental development. Too many kids from Argentina seem mentally fragile and lacking hunger.

2. Leon12

Leon12 Member+

Jan 5, 2006
    Man of the world
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And we have all been saying the same thing, all of us, ' you can't play Rojo, Biglia', it's not rocked science. But there they are, manager after manager keep picking them.

3. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    people are screaming for lo celso, but i think samp was correct for him not to start. young player playing a key position in the first game of the world cup is way too much pressure. Meza is already and he looked so tentative and never ran at defenders

4. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Likely where I should NOT be...
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    That's great, maybe you could have given every kid in Argentina a puppy or a kitten too. Don't you think AFA,wanted Loch, Simeone or someone of that caliber? Those guys aren't going to coach the national team for decades. Even after Tata left, each one of them stated very clearly they were not interested in coaching Argentina AT THIS TIME.

SupaMario and locoxriver repped this.
  5. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    #205 Volrath, Jun 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    I mean Lo Celso is a great talent. But you're already repeating the same mistakes of the past by putting all your hopes into the guy for being the new Argentine midfield leader. He's just not ready to be that player yet.

Same with Pavon. That guy has balls and wants to show them to the world, but they're way too young to continually be making the difference.

Siempre_Albiceleste repped this.
  6. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    That's quite possible. Still doesn't make the choice to go for Sampaoli any better though.

7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So why could Pavon do it? I'd rather see a tentative youngster than an always tentative veteran. What's Biglia's excuse for consistently being ass?

Albiceleste2010 and cigar_city repped this.
  8. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    Godín would probably not make sense final 23, he wouldn't "fit the system."

Not to pour salt all over our wounds, but Icardi would have been pretty useful propped up in the middle for this game. wouldn't he?

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  9. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    That's the thing. I see it, you guys see it, fans from other teams see it. Why can't these managers after managers see it?? We looked better after Banega came on for Biglia. Lo Celso and Pavon has to start for me. If they give bad performance, then so be it. At least they will try to learn from these experience and be better prepared for the next world cup. These veterans, for all their "experience", are not that useful

10. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Poch and Cholo were not coming to coach us. Why would they? They’ve got great jobs at clubs where they are loved by the fans and players. We criticize our players freely and ask for the DT 30 minutes into a game when things don’t go our way.

11. pregra

pregra Member

Barcelona
    Argentina
    Dec 1, 2008
    Norway
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Remarkable that the cohesion between our attacking players is always so poor with Argentina basically having the same squad for years. No connection between any players.

12. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    100% serious — I don’t think Icardi would have made a single difference today

barcaq8, Burr and SupaMario repped this.
  13. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    I think it was a matter of money and someone taking a risk that only Sampa was willing to undertake - leave an at the time current respected job (Sevilla) to take a crack at the Albiceleste for this summer.

Pining for Tigre Gareca..

14. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #214 Rattlehead, Jun 16, 2018
    We retained ball possession for the sack or having possession, there's no sense that we're getting close to scoring even though we're on the ball most of the time. It just some slow passing that any player can do in training session and that's exactly what we have been doing throughout this game.

Messi looked lost and frustrated after Iceland equalized, not a big player mentallity. AFA and Sampa also sacrificing NT success in favor of pleasing the same old guys that has been playing for a decade. Aside from Pavon, he brought on another oldies like Higuain and Banega. Banega barely able to run and shoot, no doubt still not fully fit

Why would Messi takes every penalties despite not having great conversion rate? Aguero could have scored twice if he takes it. If Messi failed 5 times, he's still gonna be the one who takes the PK which is ridiculous. Dybala could have struck and score some freekicks or at least deliver an assist but our manager always having faith on Higuain instead.

Everytime our player get into the box or near the box, they will be looking and pass it to Messi instead of doing their own stuff. These guys are dominant players in their respective clubs and they shouldnt be riding on one player's back.

15. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Lesser teams celebrate draws while others hang their heads. Yes, this draw feels like a loss, but we need to hold up our heads and hope that Sampaoli makes changes.

16. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, Spain even lost their opening game in 2010 . We lost once in 78 group stage and drew one in 86 group stage. Even Germany drew Ghana in 2014. This is not a doomsday result but you cant have confidence with the way Sampa managing this team. While he already proof himself with other NT, he fielded too many 05-07 generation players and 2 of his subs were another 05-07 players.

cigar_city repped this.
  17. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    i agree pavon played with a lot of conviction which was great. but lo celso plays a much more important position so if he makes a mistake in the middle the opposition is right on the counter against two very slow CBs. but Biglia absolutely has to go. did nothing and gave the ball away for the equalizer

18. cigar_city

cigar_city Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Club:
    Newell s Old Boys
    #218 cigar_city, Jun 16, 2018
    I don't know about that, the way Iceland were bunkering, with Pavon getting the ball inside, a clinical minimal touch finisher like Mauro, exceptional in the air, could certainly have made a difference.

I love Messi, the heart and soul of Argentina for decades now. He had a crap game. I still can't get over how that guy can ever miss a penalty. INSOLITO!!

19. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Messi wants to go down as the greatest, he has to step up to the plate at times like that, despite past misses. It would be pathetic to see him coward away from such opportunities and would instantly transform him into “just another player” instead of a confident difference-maker like Maradona or Cristiano

On another note, you say Aguero would make the penalty twice, but seem to forget his PK miss vs Paraguay in WCQ :confused:

20. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would not have picked him in the 23. I would have preferred Asascibar and Battaglia and come the next WC Foyth and Caseres look outstanding talents for that role as well.

We need mobility, players that can commit the opposition. Passing side to side and worse still at a snails pace makes it easy for any defence. Notwithstanding one that has ten behind the ball.

How these issues have not been addressed over the last month leaves me scratching my head. If Messi is being double marked exploit the space the extra defender has left vacant. I would also try and integrate Perez into the midfield with Lo Celso and perhaps bring Messi onto the right with Kun and Pavon. Not once did I see any box to box play. Eminently predictable.

My enthusiasm has been considerably dampened. Don't feel like watching Peru v Denmark. Optimism is the curse of the football fan instead of realism. I foolishly believed that super coach Sampaoli could address these faults, faults which are obvious to see and still there.

You look at Cuper with a very limited talent pool bringing Iran in, Gareca with Peru and Sampaoli in a former life with Chile.

Where is the energetic football ? The non stop pressing and movement that he employed there ? The clever set pieces ? It does seem like that when a coach takes over the head role at Argentina they go mad.

Pick players on form, players that are physically fit and mentally tough. Simple really. He has picked several players not in form, not fit and with all the mental strength of a mouse avoiding a rattlesnake. And contradictions abound. A player ideally suited to his style of play like Asascibar is included whereas a no hoper like Biglia is included again. My head hurts.

cigar_city, Burr and soul24rage repped this.
  21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If he still sticks with the same old players , I believe that's the best these guys can deliver no matter who's in charge.

Di Maria's is average these days, sadly. The backline is worrying because they did look like 2010 again. Everytime Iceland attack, even though they're very limited, the backline looked scrambling all over the place.

Messi should have planted at least one of his shots but no doubt CR hattrick plus Iceland goal got into his mind.

babai_here repped this.
  22. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    except im honestly beginning to think that really is the case. I dont want to be that guy but i think Messi is just mentally weak. The simple fact is he was in three finals where he couldnt perform his best due to nerves. Again today he looked like Biglia taking a penalty and became really rattled afterwards. You could tell he was fighting as much as he could but couldnt overcome the emotional pressure. Hopefully this lights a fire in him for the next game because he has a lot to prove. I feel he is like Curry in a way. Problem is that when Curry chokes, he has Durant and others to bail him out

cigar_city and locoxriver repped this.
  23. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    First of all, apart from his hattrick against Spain recently, what's CR contribution when Portugal reached Euro final in 2004, WC semifinal in 2006 and won Euro in 2016? a little to nothing. So the comparison is ridiculous considering Messi had delivered winning goal and winning assists in 4 straight games and helped Argentina to the final in 2014.

Secondly, I did see Messi coward away in this game (nobody should pretend that he didnt), and both him and CR are light years behind Maradona's level when it comes to difference maker in WC.

CR hattrick against Spain is literallly his first dominant performance in WC match, so how the hell he's being considered difference maker in all sudden ? he wont be until he proof it in alot more matches to come.

barcaq8 and babai_here repped this.
  24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Messi has missed alot more than Aguero. Aguero scored his penalties in WC and Copa last time around. Also, he had scored earlier in this game and he's the one who won the penalty.

babai_here repped this.
  25. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And his hat trick was a weaker penalty shout than the one Pavon just had and a shot even I could've saved. Free kick was good but Messi has more than one of those.

barcaq8 repped this.