FIFA World Cup 2018: Argentina vs. Croatia - June 21 [R]

Discussion in 'Argentina: Selecciones Nacionales' started by locoxriver, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Which is why we need a psychologist on board. Someone to have a chat with the players and take the burden off them. It does help to have players in a relaxed frame of mind. I'd just tell Leo.

Do your thing. You're the best in the world and we are all behind you. It's just another match.

2. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    Messi needs to get a lucky goal like a deflection or a simple tap in.

Rattlehead repped this.
  3. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Really, at this point I dont think its gonna work , at least not that simple. He had lost many finals with Argentina.

What should they do ? well, the other players simply has to step up and win the game even without Messi goal or assist! Other teams dont rely on one player to win the game , so why cant Argentina? (Portugal won Euro without CR playing the final) . This is obviously the manager's task . In term of indiviual skills, Argentina is still one of the best if you take out Messi.

4. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If they want that to happen, then Messi must play much closer to the goal. I even think that maybe Dybala can play in Messi position and Messi play as a #9, or at least as a fake #9 like against Ecuador where Benedetto kept moving to the right while Messi run straight to the center to score. I know its crazy idea, but we all must be frustrated to see Messi picking up the ball 45 yards all the time.

I still have faith on Sampa if he really bench Biglia . With a much more active midfielder , the midfield will be more compact and move the ball faster to the front. When you play Biglia, you're basically play with one less player in midfield because he hardly making any run/covering any space , thus Masche needs to cover Biglia's job while also trying to pass the ball forward by himself.

5. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    I really feel like Sampa is over experimenting with this lineup. He has an obsession with accommodating those wingers like salvio and Acuna but truth they just don't fit our style. I am thinking we are better off building from the middle. We should just show our hand and play the most talented players we have. If it doesn't work then at least no regrets and what ifs.

Why not play Ansaldi and tagli in their traditional role in a back line of 4. Mascherano as holding mid, lo celso and meza/Perez slotting in. And just play dybala and Aguero with messi behind them. Defenders will have nightmares dealing with those 3 especially if they interchange positions like Messi tend to do. Bring Pavon second half for Dybala.

cigar_city, locoxriver and charlie15 repped this.
  6. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just hope our players play with a leveled head and not pick up a red card when things get rough.

tatoRMN, Rattlehead and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  7. Burr

Burr Member+

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Jul 8, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the biggest mufa of all. Kinda wish he didn't go to games.

8. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't checked it, but someone mentioned that today, according to OLE, Sampa may start be the following team
    Mercado-Ota-Taglia
    Salvio-Mashe-Meza-Acuna
    Messi-Kun-Pavon.

Prit Javier, tatoRMN and cigar_city repped this.
  9. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It is between Enzo and Meza.

charlie15 repped this.
  10. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I would prefer Perez ahead of Meza in there. And Lo Celso before him. Balance wise I think that is a far more secure midfield while still offering something going forward. But we have no idea what Perez is like at the moment in terms of match fitness and sharpness.

Sampaoli seems to be rolling out individual gameplans for each opponent based on the analysis done by his team. Not only is he aiming to cut down supply from Pjaca/Rebix and Perisic but squeeze that midfield and sit on Modric and Rakitic.

Lo Celso has to be the unluckiest player at this point in time unless he is carrying a knock which we don't know about. He could well be our best box to box player since the magnificent incomparable Redondo.

Rattlehead and charlie15 repped this.
  11. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I believe Croatia will use Kovacic to man-mark Leo, as he has done it before when Madrid played Barcelona. So, the game cannot simply go through Messi, i.e. give him the ball and GTHOOTW.

cigar_city and Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  12. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    just wondering why are there constant leaks of the lineup and formation that we are working on for the past few days? The few days before the Iceland game, Sampa started the same starting XI in training and in game. Surely, it makes it likely that is going to be our line up for Croatia and the opponents know what we are working on and try to counter that? I know the team is in a different country so it is not possible to hide everything the team does, but I really do think that they should do better

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  13. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I also do not understand the need for such extreme experimentation at this moment, especially vs. such an organized team like Croatia.. He should have just maintained the same formation as vs. Iceland, with 3-4 obligatory modifications in terms of names.

That 3 man defense (which is made up of two players who are accustomed to playing as fullbacks, especially Tagliafico) has the potential to go completely wrong if Croatia begins planning ahead of time. However, having so many players in midfield will hopefully help us be possessive enough to minimize Croatian control and advances.

It will be a breath of fresh air, though, to have many more offensive options after tolerating the Biglia/Banega/Mascherano midfield for all these years. Those quick outlets up front (Messi, Pavon, Salvio) have quite the potential to cause some very disruptive counters.

Hopefully Lo Celso and Dybala get at least some minutes this time around.

barcaq8, Rattlehead, soul24rage and 3 others repped this.
  14. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    #115 wangballer, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    The problem with loading up on the wings is that its useless if your wingbacks are afraid to run at defenders. Icardi would have been perfect for getting on the end of crosses from both sides, but since Aguero is the starting striker and hes short, it puts more pressure on the wings to get more accurate passes in. Maybe Samp is trying to play the ball through Messi in the middle and have the wingers get behind the defence?

And also, how is that lineup even going to defend corners? Literally the tallest is Otamendi and everybody else is pretty short compared to some of Croatia's giants

Pekerman and locoxriver repped this.
  15. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I hope we get to see something like this if we are going 3 at the back

Mercado--Otamendi--Tagliafico
    Salvio--Mascherano--Enzo--Acuna
    ------------------Messi
    ---------Dybala--------Aguero

charlie15 repped this.
  16. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    That is virtually what we’re going to see, except with Messi on the right and Pavon for Dybala (on the left)

17. soul24rage

soul24rage Member+

Barcelona
    Jun 13, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    true true but i feel the reported formation need like an enganche more than having a flat front three. Or maybe Messi is going to go deep from his right wing from the reported formation anyways so it'll probably be the same regardless lol

18. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I’m assuming the top three are going to be very mobile and swapping positions throughout the match, very Barca MSN-like

Hell, I think Sampa is trying to imitate that whole Barcelona scheme, with offensive fullbacks (Acuña/Salvio), organized centermids, and ball-playing centerbacks who move up and have good technique

Christina99 and soul24rage repped this.
  19. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes accurate cross is needed, Di Maria's crossess these days can be all over the place. Since Aguero is short, using Di Maria to put an aerial cross will only makes everything worst. Pavon love to take on defenders and put a low crosses and this certainly will work better for Aguero and Messi.

This is what happen when you dont take player like Icardi who's really good at anticipating a loose ball, and most of all he's tall enough and a great header . Japan just scored a header through their 182cm forward.

Now wtf Higuain's doing in the 23 ? he'll be just another waste of space alongside Biglia

soul24rage repped this.
  20. Pekerman

Pekerman Member+

May 20, 2006
    How tall is Otamendi actually? Doesn't look more than 180cm. I miss garay. Is fazio really that slow ?

21. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #122 Rattlehead, Jun 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Otamendi is 183cm according to Wiki although he does look much shorter to me lol. One of the problem for Argentina since Ayala retired is that they dont have defender who's really good at man on man making. Droga even said after their WC game that Ayala is the best man marker he ever played against.

Players like Ayala, Maldini and Puyol aint fast but they know how mark and read opponents movement. Fazio isnt fast, but he has a great aerial ability and actually scored quite lots of goal with header. He has 20+ goals in his career despite being CB.

Rumor always claimed that Garay for whatever reason doesnt want to be called up but in his recent words, its totally the opposite.

http://mundoalbiceleste.com/2018/03/29/ezequiel-garay-never-gave-argentina/

Again , I'm trying not to believe that Messi only wants all his friends to be there, but the first game line up seems to indicate otherwise. 9 players in total from 05-07 generation played in that game.

soul24rage repped this.
  22. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Without monday's newspapers (?), i have to say i really like the formation against Croatia.

Maybe with Armani instead of Caballero and Enzo Pérez for Meza.

23. wangballer

wangballer Member

Oct 11, 2016
    Prob not a popular opinion but I hope Samp plays Tagliafico as the left wingback and plays Rojo in that LCB spot. If he thinks that Fazio is too slow for a back 3 at least Rojo can defend aerials better than a 171cm Tagliafico. It really doesn't matter how good Tagliafico is positionally as a CB you just can't replace 15-20 cm of height difference. Every corner would be way too dangerous.

24. Rattlehead

Rattlehead Member+

Barcelona, Inter Milan
    Argentina
    Jun 21, 2010
    Jakarta
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    If Rojo is playing, I actually prefer him on left like in 2014. He'll never be good playing at center.