FIFA Woman World Player of the Year 2012 Nominations

Discussion in 'Women's Fans and More' started by ralmcg, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Hothitter

Hothitter Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Glendale, CA
    That's because so many of us are from somewhere else. But I've still got enough loyalty to wish SoCal had a new pro team with Morgan on it.

2. LeftCoastLondoner

Oct 29, 2012
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Yeah. Hell, I'd settle for a new pro team, period. I've even been considering buying season tix to either Seattle or Portland just to support the new league - and to attend as many games as I might manage from down here in So Cal. :(

3. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah and you know what's even funnier? When people with an agenda latch onto the end of a conversation, without any real context to the original conversations point, just so they can create a new platform for debate that otherwise wouldn't have really existed...:whistling:

I'm not here to help push the bullsh*t bandwagon with the rest of your mob, so next time you find a reason to come out into the light, please try and catch up on what was said prior to your love letter to all things confused, obvious, and cringe worthy; and I'm not talking Sex and the City 2.

LOL yeah, you sure don't...:giggle: but go on, please continue.
    Round of applause. You obviously have the long history of reading all my posts, and have come to the rather precise (or is that stupid?) almost Holmes like deduction, that I'm a very bad bad man, with a "twisted alpha-male perspective of sports in general" LOL

That should go really nicely with my new found weekend hobby of beating women in public.... (I'm looking at you guignol;))

Cliveworshipper, even after shoveling all of your weak Nick Naylor styled crap, you still think that it's perfectly right and OK to continue quoting me now? I don't wan't to swear, but seriously...:speechless:

5. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    That's why I wrote "last posts", you may be a great person, supporting and in love with women's game, just having bad time in life in early Jan. ;-)
    Cause ur last posts looks really really ugly man.

I'm sorry man, you just pissed me off so bad, I overreacted.:(
    Lets not destroy this topic - we should start a new one "comparing women players to men players" or sth like that...

6. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    for which you will be duly punished. six of the best BF!

7. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Let me check the list again before answer that question..:unsure: :cautious:

8. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I have read every single post in this thread since it was first posted and have responded in this thread over multiple months. There is no crawling out of the darkness. I post every day. I am sorry that you cannot see that the only reasonable way to take your comments is in a misogynistic light. I think you should post your comments here to a randomly selected set of female pro soccer players and see if they read them in the light you are saying you meant them, or if they will read them in the way that people here are reading them.

Everyone on this board have an opinion and with it an agenda. Some people TRY to call it like they see it, almost everyone says that they ARE calling it like they see it., but the opinion is always there.

I notice that you didn't dispute the facts as I presented them. I wonder which of my comments were confused, or obvious, or cringe-worthy.

9. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Women's Fans and More
    I'm guessing Batfink is leaning towards the "More" part of this thread. Just popping in to congratulate Abby on the award. That's all.
    Peace

10. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    necron99 when you compare a female team to FC Barcelona in jest, only to be met with the indignant response from what you fully know to be a bat sh*t crazy surreal reflection of a regular BS persona, how in gods name can this
    become another excuse for the pro U.S. wnt fan group lobby to come calling....:unsure:

Any decent sense of humor can go a very long way around here, but if that particular quote is to be regarded as anything more than sarcasm, then I guess this is where the endless confusion, cringe worthy soap boxing, and obvious idiotic recounting finds it's cheap fuel.

Plus, using words like "misogynistic" to describe me and what I have posted in here is another truly ridiculous feature of typical BS level pandering; even if it's to an otherwise marginal but still rather insecure audience.....:whistling:

I mean, not caring about some idiot reporter being oblivious to a minor U.S. celeb/athlete, a piece of ugly misogynistic reasoning on my part? I never heard the morality police come out when Prinz, Marta, or Sawa received the previous years of FIFA gala second class status, and I doubt we would of this year either if somebody from UEFA or the AFC won this year too.

So if using weak sensationalism to mask your irrational feelings to differing points of view is the new moronic way to do things, so be it, from the looks of the latest ****/poster, you win.

11. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom

Batfink. I am not one of those people on here who think that the USWNT/USSF can do no wrong. I am not a person that says the women should play with the men because they are better or could beat them. I took care to specify that in my responses to you. I was responding with the similarity in the women's game to a team in the men's game as far as winning goes. Nothing more. When I respond to something I am not trying to jump in for someone or help make their point. I only am responding to your points directly for myself, or at least your points as I read them.

For the misogynistic comment I will continue to stand by it. Clearly you care some amount about women's football. You post in here all the time and have far longer than I have been here. But that doesn't change the completely dismissive attitude in the series of posts as related to the gala. You may mean them in a different way, or maybe you were just doubling down and piling on because you saw it was annoying some people, but they were definitely dismissive of the women. My understanding of the Gala red carpet situation was that it happened to all of the women, Marta included. I was reacting to the Marta situation before I heard further details of what was said to Morgan. I am also unware that something like that happened last year or any other Gala for that matter. Surely the women did not get as big a showcase as the men at ANY of the Gala's, but I have never heard of anything at this level before. To dismiss the reporter not knowing who they were, and then saying they didn't care when it was pointed out as just the place women deserve at this stage in the quality of their play is terrible. You don't have to play as well as Messi to deserve respect.

Who exactly would I be pandering to?

Batfink and blissett repped this.
  12. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    "minor U.S. celeb/athlete"

I give up, you are a troll.
    (troll - because you just can't be that stupid to call Alex Morgan "minor athlete", so you are doing it for some sick reasons)

13. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sorry to add insult to injury, but in an article about women's Player of the Year published today by "La Repubblica" (the most read newspaper in Italy), a quite well known journalist, Enrico Sisti (who although always wrote about men's football and normally didn't give a damn about women's football), for all the lenght of the article wrote "Sally Morgan" instead of "Alex Morgan"... :( The writer also doesn't seem to be aware that the new NWSL in USA has been announced. :(

I am ashamed to be Italian... :oops:

14. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Italy is the conundrum of women's soccer. So much potential and so little recognition.

15. sisterluke

sisterluke Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Los Angeles,CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I hate feeding the trolls but I just wanted to put something out there.

There are some people on here who clearly like to stir the pot a bit and get people fired up for their own personal enjoyment(don't have much of a life perhaps? Some weird twisted personality they like to adopt on the internet that they don't show in real life?)who knows I'm not a psychologist but it's clear when people want reactions.
    Case in point, the whole legitimate concern over female athletes being treated as inferior at the gala. I would like to add that it's not only opinion it's fact that they were not treated very well. It was caught on camera.

One or two people on Big Soccer decide to enter the women's soccer forum with the mindset to say "who gives a rats...." to see if they can get 20 responses. This is called attention seeking. They know that by entering a women's soccer forum with people who care a lot about the women's game, if they start declaring women suck at soccer and are inferior and aren't worth the respect at the gala, there's going to be a response back.

I am another person bringing attention to them but at the same time I'm trying to call them out on it hoping others will realize what they are doing.

Are there anti-women sports people allowed on here to speak their own mind? Sure, it's a free country and they have a right to express themselves and say how much they love the men's game and how much they think the women's game is inferior to the men's game. However, may I ask this question to them without it being too offensive? If you are only a fan of the men's game(and that's perfectly fine btw), why go through all this trouble to come on here and tell people on here to enjoy the women's game that they are idiotic and ridiculous? Just curious... I wish people were just honest and say they love trolling...

SiberianThunderT and BlueCrimson repped this.
  16. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    Troll this!

[​IMG]

law10, Katreus and SiberianThunderT repped this.
  17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    who said that, because he/she is probably right? people on this board are trying to turn her into tom "major us celeb/athlete" brady. she's a good soccer player, who has benefited from a system designed to turn her into the next Hamm while turning her competition at forward into cap-less wonders. usa sports is really good at "idol making". i'm curious, if the new coach opens the flood gates and lets sydney and press build up their caps, will one of them surpass her? also, in the nwsl morgan should be the "go to" forward on her squad vs. being on a roster with the whole national team or sinclair/marta, so we'll see how she stacks up on an island. it would have been nice, if press and marta were present. then, we'd have a full compliment of forwards to battle it out.

anyway, i'm guessing she ends up in seattle with solo, when player spots are announced today. i 'd say her second stop could be wny. i'm sure she was at the top of lines' list.

18. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    21 assists, 28 goals, latest goal in men/women football history of FIFA competition in olympic semifinal, assist in olympic final, one of the three best women players in the world by FIFA, USSoccer athlete of the year, WSF Sportswoman of the Year...

"idol making" :eek:

19. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    If you look at the picture there is something very wrong....:cool: The two Japanese forward are left one on one with two american forwards. It is something that I have noticed many times during the Olympics on attacking ste pieces from the US team. Why leave defenders 1v1 on attacking set pieces ? :p

20. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    but she isn't a "major" athlete. they've done well keeping press cap-less and sydney's cap totals behind morgan's. those 3 were neck - neck at the university level with press slightly the better player, more diverse , and probably still is, based on her rookie of year in the wps and sweden performance. then, somewhere along the line, morgan turns into the next "Hamm" of USA soccer, so the entire promotional and attack system of the NT gets behind her and the "idol making" system is instituted, as usual in the usa. it's that simple.

she's a good soccer player but is no tom brady or peyton manning the eyes of sport's fans, except for women's soccer fanatics.

21. guignol

guignol Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 28, 2005
    mermoz-les-boss
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    on the same subect, do you remember a little discussion about who would put on the gloves if bouhaddi got injured and PL had already used up all his subs at HT?

i talked with SB about it (gives the impression that i'm importnat but it really only means she's very nice and friendly) and she said that no plan B exists and that no player ever get between the sticks for kicks after practice (the very idea made her titter as if i'd said something daft; i assume lair runs his practices with an iron fist in an iron glove). her guess was wendie because of her size, but when i suggested kung-fu corine she agreed that would be a good choice, as cocotte played the position as a wee lass.

blissett and Katreus repped this.
  22. lukephan

lukephan Member+

Oct 1, 2012
    How FIFA, international coaches, international players, international media and Women's Sports Foundation is "promotional and attack system of the NT" is beyond me.
    Alex Morgan is clutch and she stepped up in critical moments, she just "has it". She did it agst Italy in 2010 and wasn't in starting 11 for next 1,5 year! How is it "keeping someone behind Morgan"???
    And who is Tom Brady and Peyton Manning???

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Whether u think Morgan is major or minor, the whole amateur nature of the production cant be argued. This was FIFA's big event and it came off like they just grabbed people off the street. If ur interviewing people on the red carpet it isnt a lot to expect that u can recognize the key players. Whether any of them r major, minor or window dressing, the guy basically had to be able to pick out only four women. Is it too much to expect a guy doing a job to be able to identify Marta, Morgan, Wambach and Sundhage when he had over a month to check out a picture. Bonus points if he gets Solo. It's not like hundreds of women were involved. It isnt about respecting the women's game, it's about doing ur job.

blissett and guignol repped this.
  24. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I disagree with the idea of US Soccer/Nike forcing Morgan into the role for branding for many reasons but that isn't the point of the argument here. Alex Morgan is clearly not as big a sports name as Tom Brady/Peyton Manning or any number of male athletes. But this issue didn't occur in the USA at a random red carpet event. This problem occurred at the FIFA Ballon d'Or Gala. The 3 women were invited guests of the Gala because they were up for the awards. The people were there to see them along with the male players and coaches win an award. The staff that FIFA hired to do the red carpet interviews sure as hell should have known who Marta, Wambach, and Morgan are. That is undeniable.

blissett repped this.
  25. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    Never saw the awards but am horrified by what I'm reading.

I have no idea how Alex Morgan is perceived by anyone, but I imagine that depends on your interest in the game and where you reside. I do however know that in terms of talent she isn't minor in any way whatsoever and is in fact an absolutely world class talent. I'd seen her on television a few times and knew she was talented, but after you've seen her live a few times you realize pretty quickly the immensity of it. She has superlative attacking pace and the control and decision-making at speed to go along with it. Probably the most exciting player in the world right now.

blissett, Namdynamo and CoachJon repped this.