FIFA U-20 World Cup: US vs. Ukraine, June 5th at 3:00 a.m. ET

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Gacm32, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Sooooo...keeping in mind the yellow cards to Payne, Miazga, and Moore, who do we start in the back vs. Ukraine? I think Conor Donovan or EPB should slot in next to CCV, and then you can risk Moore on a yellow at RB, since Payne seems to be the starter now.

2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Do we know if cards get reset after the group stage?

3. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only mentions of yellow cards are when talking about the "fair play contest".

5. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would start Requejo--CCV--EPB--Moore.

Gacm32 repped this.
  6. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I agree, that would be my back 4.

7. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Rubio get a rest in this game? He's busted his ass for 2 games. I think I may sit him.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  8. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I think we should too. Maybe only bring him in if it's close and we need a goal in the last 20 minutes or so. If they are blowing us out then no damage done to him and he will be fully rested for R16. If we are blowing them out then same thing. We only need a draw but UKR will push hard for the win and their rotation has been poor as well over the two rounds. They should be tired too but I know that Ukrainians and eastern europeans in general have a good motor so who knows.

9. kba4life

kba4life Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Claremont, California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no coach, but I think it makes sense to give all the big guns a bit of rest for this one. Zelalem, Rubin and Hyndman can always play a half off the bench if the game is close enough to salvage. Plus, it'd be nice to see what others like EPB, Sonora, Thompson etc can do for a full 90. I know a win/tie enables us to avoid Colombia or Portugal, but whatever.

I'm mobile, so hopefully this doesn't format terribly:

BJ----Thompson
    Allen-------Sonora--------Arriola
    Acosta
    Requejo------CCV--------EPB----------Moore/Payne

dwsmith1972 and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I think the aim should be to have your players best positioned for the knockout round, not your match up. Worry about our players, not who we might play.

I don't think we need to worry about attackers getting cards, and missing a knockout round game. It could happen, but its much more likely to happen with defenders and defensive types of players.

I'd start

GK: Steffen
    RB: Moore
    CB: EPB
    CB: Donovan
    LB: Requejo
    DM: Delgado
    CM: Sonora
    CAM: Zelalem
    RW: Thompson
    LW: Allen
    ST: Arriola

Zinkoff repped this.
  11. Zinkoff

Zinkoff Member

Jul 2, 2014
    DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This looks solid. Rotates the guys who have played heavy minutes/are on yellows. Zelalem was a sub in the first game, I could see him starting and not playing 90. Plus as we saw this morning, he is the type of player who can change a game with one pass.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  12. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    Zelalem-------Zelalem

Zelalem--Zelalem---Zelalem--Zelalem

CCV----CCV-------CCV------CCV

Steffen

USA All DAY, mike4066, KHenry14 and 12 others repped this.
  13. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it. :D

14. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Shame Horvath isn't available. Would've been interesting to see him in this lineup.

15. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

GiallorossiYank repped this.
  16. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    No . One Rubin and one Hyndman. The rest is good.

sXeWesley and adi21 repped this.
  17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    isnt there a 5 day break after the 5th? I dont think rest is needed. Usually (at least for me) it takes 2-3 days to get rid of heavy legs completely

Gacm32 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm more worried about someone like CCV, Payne, Acosta or Hyndman picking up their first yellow, and being on a yellow headed into the round of 16 or Miazga picking up his second yellow and being out for the round of 16 match.

Shaq Moore starting this game and getting his second yellow might be a blessing in disguise.

19. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well CCV yeah. miazga and EPB i dont even know if there is a drop off in talent, but then again CCV and Miazga played together a lot more.

20. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Watching Uruguay vs Mexico, I don't know all the hype before the tournament concerning Uruguay. They haven't looked good at all, at Fagundez probably would have been a better than most of their starters. Mexico is so predictable, and if you can contain Lozano, you can stop their team. I would love to see them in the round of 16, but if this result holds we might not get the chance.

bballshawn repped this.
  21. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I have a healthy respect for Mexico U-x teams. If we meet I hope it would be later in the event. I want to see as much of our U-20s as possible and US-Mexico games are just something else.

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Good goal. Deserved result.

23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico clutch it late. 2-1.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Play Mexico - get a card.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not sure that playing Mexico would be such a bad thing. They can't defend, their best CM is having a bad tournament, their coach panicked and took their star GK out of the lineup for a worse GK and their offense is mostly one player. You wouldn't want to lose to your rivals, but of the possible teams we could face in the next round, I'd categorize them among the weaker of those teams.

For us right now, there seems to be two main possibilities. If we win or draw against Ukraine, we get a third place team from groups C/D/E. The third place team from "C" is looking like it'll either be Senegal or Colombia, if results of games going on right now hold with Senegal the more likely opponent right now. Portugal looks to have 1st pretty secured, and Qatar looks unlikely to finish anything other than 4th. If results hold right now for matches in Group "D", each team will be tied on three points with three matches to go, so third place could be Mexico, Uruguay, Serbia or Mali. Third place in Group "E" is looking like it'll be Hungary. Brazil and Nigeria both looked very good in their first matches. If we lose to Ukraine, we'll probably get second in our group and play the runner up in Group C, which will probably be Colombia or Senegal, but more likely Colombia.

Gacm32 and DHC1 repped this.