FIFA sanction: will RSL "forfeit" its 6/14 loss to FC Dallas

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Jun 18, 2007.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    The Liberian Football Association has promised to report RSL to the FIFA disciplinary committee. The issue is Willis Forko's participation in Thursday's 0-1 home loss to FC Dallas. Because RSL reported Forko "injured", he was inelligible to play during the period of his would-be Liberian call-up.

For more details on this ugly situation...a timeline of key events, the applicable FIFA guidelines, and more background are posted on my site today.

[​IMG]
    Football-mad Liberians watch the Forko-less "Lone Stars" draw on Sunday

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Re: FIFA sanction: will RSL "forfeit" its 4/16 loss to FC Dallas

Very interesting stuff. Just FYI it was 5/16.

Would this then make the match a 3-0 final and take the goal away from Oduro?

3. Deuce

Deuce Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

does forfeiting a match that we lost mean anything at all?

4. Joffray

Joffray Member

May 24, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake

Wasn't it 6/14 ?

Edit: rslfm updated the topic title with the correct date

5. Phathead

Phathead Member

May 22, 2007

Instead of, "We lose again!"

it's, "We lose again both financially and in the record books."

6. MikeGossard

MikeGossard Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah....pretty sure.

7. Blitzz Supporter

May 23, 2004
    Centerville

Wouldn't it be 14/6 because the rest of the world puts the date first? :D

8. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

U.S. is stubborn.

World - Day-Month-Year (logical)
    US - Month-Day-Year (not logical)

World - Football (logical)
    US - Soccer (illogical. American Football uses feet rarely)

World - Metric System (logical - increments of 10)
    US - Ugly System (illogical - 12 sometimes, 3 other times, than 16 randomly, and lets throw in 5,280 Feet for 1 Mile)

There is probably many more you can add. Sorry about going off-topic.

9. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Soccer is properly called, Association Football (look it up in the FIFA statutes).

Rugby is properly called, Rugby Football.

Soccer is a British naming convention for the game that is more widely used in countries where American Football is commonly played.

From Fussballportal:

10. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

More OT:

Far East Asia - Year-Month-Day (logical)

And you mentioned the metric system, I just want to make sure that Fahrenheit gets mentioned among the "ugly" and illogical.

Americans bristle every time I say I think we should switch to metric, but if we just did it I don't think anyone would even care.

Sorry about the OT.

11. oussan

oussan Member

May 28, 2005
    SoJo, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, it means that we lost both on and off the field. And if nothing else, this apparent display of dishonesty and/or incompetence/ignorance is a shame and an embarrassment for this club.

12. RealSandy

RealSandy Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sandy
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you asking a question or stating a fact?

13. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embarrassment, schembarrassment. Stuff like this goes on all the time in the European leagues. Move along, nothing to see here.

14. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    Actually, no it doesn't--at least not without serious repercussions.

If you honestly don't believe European clubs handle these situations any better, I recommend reading today's European press...Unlike RSL, these Spanish clubs had the self-respect & forethought to formally petition FIFA to lift their players' African Cup obligations. Unlike RSL, they didn't (falsely) claim "injury" and hope no one would be the wiser.

And if these European clubs' above-board behavior was called "disrespectful to Africa" and "scandleous"--and it was called that...just imagine how these African nations would describe RSL's far tawdrier behavior.

Actually, no need to imagine. Just ask the LFA. The issues involved here are far bigger than what RSL staff and many of its supporters might imagine.

15. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Turns out that the Spanish League scheduled its season such that it overlapped with the known and previously scheduled African Cup. The Spanish League knew it was putting its clubs in this situation, and didn't care. La Liga dissed Africans badly. And, if FIFA doesn't impose stringent fines on the teams involved (because that is how you will get the attention of the league) then it is dissing Africans.

So, if you want to point fingers, start with La Liga.

16. rslfutbolfan

rslfutbolfan New Member

Dec 15, 2005
    Mars w/ Cunny
    Does that mean we are really 0-4-6-1? And are they just asking us to forfeit a loss because we dont have a win to forfeit? And what does it really matter at this point? I vote for forfeiting our whole season! :eek:

17. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether claiming a player is injured when he isn't or scheduling conflicts, this happens all the time in Europe. Blatter might insist that the mistake will not happen again, but don't hold your breathe. It's guaranteed that something like this will happen again next year because there are only so many open weekends available so it is inevitable that there will be scheduling conflicts.

At least RSL didn't do what most European clubs do by simply refusing to release their players. FIFA says that they have to, but there are always ways around doing what FIFA says, especially when UEFA trumps FIFA (in European club eyes).

Bottom line: RSL did something wrong, but will all the other bonehead stuff that the FO has done this year, this is really nothing. RSL will have to pay a fine and have to promise to not do it again, but that's all. Like I said before, move along, nothing to see here.

18. BobbleSoccer

BobbleSoccer New Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm sorry but I don't see how this is a nothing. Coach is proving himself to be incompetent, bad with money, and now dishonest. Yeah, nice choice to represent RSL to the world. So FIFA's first significant dealings with RSL will be punative. Nice one JK, nice one.

19. El-ahrairah

El-ahrairah Member+

Sep 20, 2004
    Wanker County
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incompetent? Bad with money? Dishonest? What, you think that other coaches are any better? At least he's not paying off opposing players to throw games like Bernard Tapie. For the uninitiated, Bernard Tapie was the president of Olympique Marseille in 1993. OM was in the running for both the French league title and the Champions League title. The game the weekend before the Champions League final (against AC Milan if memory serves me right) was against bottom-dweller Valenciennes who was already going to be relegated next season. Ergo, Monsieur Tapie decided to pay off a few of Valenciennes' players so that they would "laydown" so-to-speak against his team and not stress his best players so that they would be fresh when they went up against AC Milan in the Champions League final. OM won against Valenciennes and won the French league title (which was stripped later) and also won the Champions League title (the only French side to have done so and which has never been stripped).

So, putting everything into perspective, JK maybe incompetent (I think it's too early to tell), bad with money (possibly) and dishonest (forse), but until he rises to the level of corruption found in the European leagues, I doubt he any worse than any other coach that FIFA has any dealings with. Maybe he is the worse coach in the MLS, but I think The Bruce would give him a run for his money.

20. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Ah, but at least Tapie won a game. :rolleyes:

Kidding aside, that report was thorough and fantastic, FM. Would rep if I didn't have to spread it around.

21. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    I have a theory that Forko wanted to achieve his first call-up and when he was told that he couldn't go (against his wishes and that of the LFA), the jilted Forko either told a friend in the side like Gbandi (or someone in the FA) that he wasn't injured and that this was a deliberate attempt by RSL to avoid required release. Word, of course, didn't take long to travel to the higher-ups.

I can't help but think that Forko is the most angry about all of this.

22. ReAl Football Fan

May 2, 2005
    Ogden, Ut
    I am distressed (EmbraTSu notwithstanding!) that with all the problems we have, we now have to add not only dishonesty but incompetent dishonesty! I was willing to give Kreis a chance but he is not impressing me too much so far. While I have seen improvement in some areas, I have seen decline in others. I am not yet to the fire Kreis point but if this is his doing I am now teetering on the line.

23. nsps

nsps Member

Jul 26, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I too have lost my patience with Kreis, despite my initial willingness to give him a chance, even post-Cunningham trade. I think it was idiotic of Uncle Dave to move him from player to coach in the span of a week. Frankly, he should have served at least a year as an assistant before becoming a head coach. Barring that, he needed at least a pre-season to learn the ropes. Now we see complete dishonesty, and I wonder if that would have made a difference.

24. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or it could be, as RSLFM suggests, that perhaps the Liberian Nats just took a glance at the publicly available box score and saw that Forko was in fact NOT injured as RSL had claimed.

25. USAfutbol

USAfutbol New Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Of course it could be.

But that's my theory.