FIFA opens bidding for 2014 World Cup in South America

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by MAICOL, Dec 6, 2006.

1. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  2. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    If South Africa gets the go ahead to host 2010 then expect 2014 to go back to Europe.

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been fairly well documented that 2014 will go to South America, with Brazil being a strong frontrunner.

Nothing's set in stone, but that's where the politics stand right now...

4. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Idiot,

Its been fairly well documented that Brazil isn't interested in spending plenty of money to host the event and that FIFA have shown concerns. Your a fool they only said that so Septic could get his votes. After the potential debarcle that South Africa 2010 is presenting no way in the world that hte world cup will go to 2 third world countries in a row. It will go back to europe.

5. FredGavioes

FredGavioes Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Boston/MA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    no way any SA can host a 2014 WC. the tourists would be hanging in trees like trophies, and it would be bad for brasil.

6. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Third... world?

What are you on about? You do notice that in 8 years time, Brazil might be a very different place, as might be Europe or whatever?

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    1/3 of the population of Brazil lives in disgusting poverty, that isn't going to change in 8 years.

8. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I would like Chile to host (duh im Chilean) , alone or with someone else

Not every South American country is third world.
    Google is your friend, Ignorance your enemy.

9. clt49er

clt49er New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Charlotte,NC
    Few things...first off Brazil, nor SA believe it or not are third world countries...they are substantially more poor then most countries in Europe as well as the United States. Most of SA, not including Argentina, Uraguay, and Chile happen to be in the same context as most of Europe when it comes to Development, although Argentina did have some crazy times going Bankrupt and all. So the claims of third world country should not be directed here, as most countries in SA are particulary more poor then european counterparts, however they have developed and kept up with the times quite well, making them far removed from third world country, they are moreso countries that are still developing...but are not considered developed countries....please stop with the connotations to third world countries and relax...I too have heard Brazil is the frontrunner for WC 2014

10. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    Brazil is a developing country.

Chad is a third world country.

11. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    In 2005 The % of population below poverty was pretty similar between Chile and USA, USA 15 % and Chile around 17 %.

AND EVEN if some third world country does wanna host they have the right. Football is the Worlds game. Were not gonna rotate WC hosting between the Top 10 richest countries.

12. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    No need to listen to English talk about football. When they start winning again perhaps they can tell which country is "authorized" to have a WC. I am certain, it will go back to South America. I would think Chile, Brazil, or Argentina could be good candidates. Colombia is a long shot as long as terrorism still reigns in certain area. And if I die and go to paradise, I hope it has a WC hosted in Ecuador ....:D

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Does Chile have the stadiums to host alone?

14. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    World Cup in Ecuador, hilarious. Can they fit 12 stadiums on top of that mountain?

15. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Its for 2014 , More than enough to build and enhance.

16. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Your ignorance is as big as Russia :rolleyes:

17. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    actually we can fit 13 in the mountain. and 2 in the islands...

Can you fit some sort of knowledge in that peanut youcall your brain? :D

18. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, knock leg_breaker (who is a self-acknowledged jerk I believe :)) all you like...

But what is the current status of non-Brazilian South American stadia, via a vis FIFA World Cup regulations?

19. megamac20817

megamac20817 Member+

Jul 9, 2005
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    All the countries in South America could realistically host the WC in 2014 (Perhaps with the exception of Paraguay, Bolivia and Uruguay), however Argentina is in the best state currently to do so. They have the most stadiums of WC standards.

20. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have a link to the actual stadium information? This is going to be flame material for months and years to come, so we may as well have the cold hard facts right now...

21. clt49er

clt49er New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Charlotte,NC
    Dunno what the FIFA regulations for stadiums are but here is a wikipedia link to stadium capacities by country....Argentina has 2 stadiums whose cap is over 60k and 3 others over 50k. But I would love to attend a world cup match between Argentina and some other country in LA Bombonera(11 40k+). Brazil has of course the Maracana which boast over 100k cap, in addition they also have 8 other stadiums that hold 50k or more(9 40k+), Chile has 2 Stadiums over 50k, Columbia 4 stadiums @ or above 50k(6 40k+)...here's the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_by_capacity

Also please note the world cup we are talking about is 2014....I think more then enough stadiums can be built by then. I'm going to South Africa, I'll prolly try to go to South America as well.

got this from another forum on BS....https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=454291

Also FIFA has a limit of one ground per city (they allow 1 city to use two grounds). We would have to use 2 venues in at least 3 cities. We may even have to have 3 in one city. Remember FIFA require grounds to have a minimum 40,000 all seated capacity. They also require at least a couple of 60,000+ venues for feature matches.

I updated in parentheses above.

22. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Would be a nice excuse for the government to step up and take the initiative on this respect... but if the current state of things are any indication, we are light years away from holding a WC (as far as stadia is concerned).

Thankfully the private sector will (apparently) attempt to address this deficit thanks to the privatization of the clubs in the country.

And I really don't see why Ecuador couldn't hold a WC... given the right headstart they could improve many of the nice stadiums that they already have. Not to mention that the size of the country could be a positive and not a negative aspect.

23. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    No, screw Ecuador. I want it in Chile.

24. Bermele

Bermele Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't really wanna discourage some of my fellow south americans but i think neither Chile or Ecuador can hold a world cup. I mean they need 12 stadiums and only 2 stadiums per city, which would be very hard to do.

So that means Ecuador could have 2 stadiums in Quito and 2 in Guayaquil, and then...??? maybe a few stadiums in lesser cities like Cuenca, Ambato or Loja but I dont think there's enough for 12 stadiums.

Same for Chile which could potentially have 2 stadiums in Santiago, and a few in Viña, valparaiso, Concepcion,... but once again I dont think they have enough for 12 stadiums.

In my opinion the population of a country is very important in order to host the world cup, I would say the minimum should be like 25 million. Which means that in South America the only countries able to host the cup would be Brazil, Colombia, Argentina, and Venezuela and Peru.

Venezuela will have like 8 or 9 stadiums fit for the world cup by this summer, and they could potentially build a second stadium in Caracas and Maracaibo and maybe one in Valencia... And Peru has already hosted the copa america and the sub17 world cup and I think they could potentially come up with enough cities and stadiums for the cup... Colombia could host it beacuse we have enough cities, soccer fans, and our infrastructure is probably the same as brazil(probably better), the only problem we have is the ongoing conflict with the guerrilas and other drug-related safety issues which is the only reason we are probably not going to get to host it anytime soon.

In conclusion, it's kinda unfair for the smaller south american countries like ecuador and chile but clearly due to their population and size I see no way they could host it unless fifa brings co-hosting back.