FIFA "may" consider a posponment of the next WWC.

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by FanOfFutbol, Jul 28, 2022.

1. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FIFA is considering a postponement of the 2023 Women’s World Cup
    https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.c...-a-postponement-of-the-2023-womens-world-cup/
    It is early and I really do not know what to think about this possibility but I believe I do not like it.

This may not be the best place to post this but it was the best I could come up with on short notice.
    Mods may move it if it seems to be needed but, if moved, I would be thankful for a notification.

2. datschge

datschge Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    Germany
    Qatar made sense (though giving the WC to a desert place was braindead to begin with). How hard is Winter at the selected stadiums in Australia and New Zealand?

JanBalk repped this.
  3. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Many many many years ago I did a period of rehab from wounds by taking a vacation in Australia. It was during local winter and I do not remember any weather that I would consider "cold."

I checked my memory by looking up some weather info and found this:
    I do not think temperature or weather is an issue for the WWC.
    It is all about money and money will be what encourages or discourages the change.
    Once more it is greed and not player safety or fan safety or fan or player comfort.
    Personally I would much rather be in Australia during the winter than in Qatar at their best. Qatar is just a miserable place to visit even for a few days while Australia is almost always pleasant. That is if you avoid the sharks by staying out of the water.

JanBalk and datschge repped this.
  4. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    Makes sense. Hopefully just until October/November.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    this is just stupid without question. If the men could play in South Africa during their winter, the women can play in Australia/NZ. This is just a total joke as was the scandalous awarding of the men's WC to Qatar who used slave labor to build the arenas. FIFA show not signs of solving their corruption problems.. Somebody is getting paid under the table.

blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

Now look up New Zealand. I get:

Mean annual temperatures range from 10°C in the south to 16°C in the north of New Zealand.”

in other words, great soccer weather.

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Makes sense? Why? As noted above, the winter weather in Australia and New Zealand is typically not bad at all whereas as it gets VERY hot in Australia in the summer. I think it's a dumb idea.

8. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You mean a dumb idea like putting the Men's World Cup in Qatar in any season of the year?
    We must always keep in mind that it is FIFA that will make the decision and we know what the general level of intelligence is at FIFA among the decision makers. The lower level folks are probably normal or superior in intellect. But the average gets pulled down when you throw in 10-15 people with the collective intelligence of the typical garden toad.

I agree that the WWC in Australia should not have its time changed.

BTW: Since I can't get around much and I have outlived all my recitatives living in The 'States it is easy for me to adjust my sleep schedule to fit an event like this but I will try to keep in mind that "complaints" about the start times are not frivolous. But it will be hard not to brag!! :D :ROFLMAO::cool:

toad455 repped this.
  9. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Oh grandpa, you need to watch less CNN and more ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wo...o-plans-to-change-2023-womens-world-cup-dates

toad455 repped this.
  10. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think, it would be extraordinary for FIFA to delay the WWC by a few months for the sake of a few extra millions from tv revenue. The ground availability would also be a problem.

SiberianThunderT repped this.
  11. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It absolutely does NOT make sense. The only reason this even entered discussion is because Euro broadcasters think it'll make them more money. (I don't think it will.) The weather down under means this move is the exact opposite of making sense for player safety.

I'm glad FIFA has now said there are no *plans* to move the tournament, but this is just damage control - and we know how bad FIFA is when it comes to $$$ greed. The fact there there are no plans now, when the news of a potential move was described as preliminary and informal, means that plans can still be made. I don't think this issue is completely buried just yet, frustratingly.

Bonnie Lass, blissett and FanOfFutbol repped this.
  12. Philipp Morgenstern

Manchester United
    Australia
    Oct 30, 2021
    The success of the euros means European broadcasters want prime time games

13. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    If that's actually what they're hoping for, they're way dumber than I thought. That's asking for players and attending fans to be in the stadiums ungodly early. Plus there's no reason why you would have to change the month in order to change the time of day the stadiums are in use. I call BS on that idea.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Very poor example to put forth given the corruption that surrounded the pick and the amount of slave labor used to build the arenas. Anyone with a moral compass at all will follow my lead and boycott watching any of the tournament matches. There are few things one can do in this world to deal with outrage but this is one of them.

blissett repped this.
  15. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Right: Choosing Qatar for the WC wasn't an "idea"--it was a deeply corrupt decision that certainly involved corrupt sheiks sending dirty oil money to dirty, corrupt FIFA voters.

16. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    "Corrupt FIFA voters" or "officials" is at best redundant. The problem is that we fans can do nothing to make it better. Unless and until the entire bureaucracy at FIFA and in most confederations and even as far down as the club level is totally replaced. The corruption is ingrained in the whole setup and cannot be changed as long as the same people make the decisions.

I will also say that it was an "idea" but an "idea" that was driven my a lot of money changing hands under, or even on top of, various tables.

I wonder if you look at the confederations around the world if even one is not mostly, by any reasonaby evaluation, not more corrupt than not.

BTW: One of the driving factors is that there are a lot of positions in the soccer world that are unpaid and many people in those positions look for any way to get more money and making corrupt decisions is one of the simplest ways to add to income. I actually think that most soccer institutions would benefit if they actually paid the people that volunteer if the position they are in was paid a reasonable wage.

17. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    TV still rules the day.

Hexa repped this.