FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. NaBUru38

NaBUru38 Member+

Mar 8, 2016
    Las Canteras, Uruguay
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Further dillute? In 2020 North Macedonia the most lopsided result was Spain 5 - 0 Slovakia.

2. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I might be in the minority that thinks 24 teams is kind of okay for the Euro. But 32 is definitely too much.

PJ234 and BocaFan repped this.
  3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, there isn't a big drop off from #16 to 24 in UEFA, but the group stage matches have a lot less importance now.

4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Yeah the format isn't great. But before it was almost as difficult to qualify for the Euro as it was for the World Cup (14 spots were determined by qualifiers for Euro 2012 versus 13 for WC 2014).

I don't think that should be the case, the World Cup is for the best teams from each confed. The Euros imo give a chance to that next batch of teams that isn't quite good enough to make the WC regularly but are still good enough not to disgrace themselves against the best.

5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not yet :cautious:

Took the words out of my mouth - I despise any format that allows for "best third-placers" to advance.

If 3-team groups made any sense at all, then that would've been ideal for the Euro (similar to the proposed expanded Club World Cup format, only with 2 teams advancing per group). But UEFA's aware enough to spot Gijón coming from a mile away...

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Btw, Conmebol's announced unanimous support for Infantino's reelection bid... a sign he's managed to calm the waters after all the feathers he rustled with his heavy-handed negotiating tactics over the Softbank/Saudi offfer and the biennial World Cup proposal.

7. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He said today at a FIFA-member association conference in Doha that FIFA exceeded its revenue target for the 2019-2022 4-year cycle by USD$1bn (USD$7.5bn instead of USD$6,4bn) enabling FIFA solidarity payments to every MA to reach a minimum of USD$2m/year during the 2023-2026 cycle.

He also said FIFA is close to presenting proposals for a new competition for men's NTs which will bring more inter-confederation matches between NTs with all confederations and MAs in agreement. This is great news because I think we can all agree that NT football needs more inter-confederation games beyond what the WC provides.

HomietheClown repped this.
  8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that... is that the Global Nations League's music? :D

But seriously, FIFA owed the rest of the world such an opportunity after canning the Confederations Cup.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm down for a Global Nations League.

10. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    I would rather see them do something with the Olympics. Maybe push the euros and copa america to the year before the world cup. I was thinking the confederation cup format could be used in the Olympics. Two groups of four. The WC Winner, host, afc, concacaf, caf, conmbeol, uefa, and OFC

Then push the start of the season to September/late August.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Olympics wants nothing to do with that.

unclesox repped this.
  12. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Tbh at this point they might be better off scrapping Olympic football altogether and introducing futsal or something instead.

13. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Watching some of the teams at the WC has reminded me how FIFA urgently needs a strategic plan to develop men's NT soccer outside UEFA.

Expansion of the WC was decided in 2017 before a full appraisal of the current state of men's NT soccer was undertaken as part of the biennial WC proposal. That report analysed the structural problems the game has outside UEFA and any decisions FIFA takes regarding the men's game - from WC expansion to a new competition - needs to address these problems.

FIFA's Vision 2020-23 on its website is an excellent set of aspirations and objectives but what is severely lacking is a strategy about how to achieve them.

Athlone, PJ234 and Every Four Years repped this.
  14. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    What should be done in you view? I was thinking why not have a "europa" league tournament for nations that narrowly mis the WC

HomietheClown and Every Four Years repped this.
  15. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #890 r0adrunner, Nov 25, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    My desire is for a continental championship and WC once every even year in the 4-year cycle, and in odd years FIFA NL final tournaments.

FNLs would see each confederation (Conmebol and Concacaf teams might have to play together in a single group stage (GS)) run its own GS in three tiers (Leagues A, B and C say) with promotion and relegatiom as happens now in Concacaf and UEFA NLs, with the innovation that every team which wins its group in Leagues A, B and C qualifies for the FNL which would comprise 3 separate KO stage-only tournaments (R16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final) enabling teams lower down the ranking which are not yet close to qualifying for a continental championship or WC the opportunity to play in a FIFA competition. All 3 tournaments could be completed in 15 days in June of every odd year.

In addition to reducing the number of friendlies, increasing the number of competitive games and providing a fresh objective at the start of every year for every NT in the world, this structure would also generate significant extra revenue for FIFA to distribute to all member associations. The increase in the number of competitive games would also provide all member associations with a more attractive number of home games to sell (stadium revenue, media and sponsorship rights).

PJ234 repped this.
  16. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    How about a 36 team WC? Could that work?

17. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    ?

World Cup is already 48 from 2026 onwards... :confused:

18. PJ234

PJ234 Member

DC united
    United States
    Oct 17, 2021
    Or you know what the WC should expand to 34 teams. With every confederation getting an automatic spot.

4 from Concacaf
    5 from conmbeol
    13 from Uefa
    1 from OFC
    5 from Asia
    5 from CAF
    1 Host

However, similar to march madness there will be a "first four". The four lowest ranked teams will play against each other in order to determine the last two spots.

So for this year's tournament the first four will be Ghana, Saudi Arabia, Ecuador, and then lastly New Zealand. So then every confederation can officially join. Similar to how it is in march madness with how every conference does qualify for the tournament. I just don't like how the WC is gonna be 48 teams. It is way too much

19. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    WC expansion is something to discuss, but more important is to enable many more NTs to improve by accelerating their development through a combination of many more meaningful matches, increased investment and capacity building.

These three crucial aspects will all be facilitated by a FNL.

Furthermore, FIFA will shortly expand the U17WC to 48 teams and hold it annually, so all of the other confederations will have to join UEFA in holding annual U17 championships in order to qualify, reducing the risk of talent being lost.

20. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Where'd you hear this? Fantastic news if true

PJ234 repped this.
  21. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If UEFA is going to invite CONMEBOL teams why not have a joint North American/African/Asian competition?

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Infantino said it last Sunday at the FIFA-member association conference in Doha. You can watch his address at FIFA.com

Athlone and PJ234 repped this.
  23. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Sure, the same Infantino who proposed a biennial WC.

Someone please remind FIFA that u20+u17 player call-ups are not mandatory for FIFA int'l youth tournaments. I would like to know how Youth WCs will be expanded without forcing clubs to release additional players.

24. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Under 17 is easier because far fewer players are prevented from playing because of club commitments (see ECU17 finals played every May, while the ECU19 is played every July). That might be why the U20 will remain biennial.

Infantino said there was agreement on this from all confederations (biennial WC was shelved mainly because of strong opposition from UEFA).

25. Athlone

Athlone Member+

Feb 2, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    Couldn't dig up the vid but this makes sense

I take it the U20WC isn't expanding? No issues with that remaining biennial but getting that tourney to 48 would be great.