FIFA International Match Calendar: Proposed Changes & General Discussion

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Oct 29, 2019.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The challenges in the Women's game are very different and I honestly don't know enough about it to comment on a biennial WWC.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would take away from the prestige of the tournament...OTOH, with the WWC and the Olympics in successive years, they always lead to a 2-year gap in which women's football disappears from the mainstream radar (Euros aside? I'll be honest, they get little-to-no coverage on the other side of the pond).

But then, why a biennial WWC instead of giving a quadrennial Women's CWC a shot?

4. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Would probably be better off having a smaller-scale annual event if they want to hold such a tournament. Women’s club football is barely marketable.

5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Pardon my ignorance, but do all confederations even have a Women's club competition? UEFA and CONMEBOL do but what about the rest?

6. Every Four Years

May 16, 2015
    Miramar, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Had to look it up myself now that you asked. Apart from UEFA and CONMEBOL, only AFC actually appears to have a women’s club championship, which started just this year actually with four clubs from Japan, China, S. Korea, and Australia. Surprised there wasn’t North Korean participation as they are quite good in the women’s game.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 99.9% certain that Concacaf will set one up once FIFA takes the first step with a women's CWC and not a day sooner. Conditions are moving towards it becoming a necessity, though - professional women's football is growing tremendously in Mexico and Costa Rica, with both experiencing sell-outs in recent Finals.

8. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    FIFA should put together a Women's World Cup for futsal and beach soccer. Both sports would be a better fit in the Olympics than the U23 tournament. From my understanding, the lack of an international women's competition in either sport has prevented their inclusion in the Olympics.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    And it will resemble the dark days of the Champions Cup. Can you say final four at a high-school stadium in El Paso? :D

(Or worse, at the NWSL's home ground)

10. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch futsal or beach soccer, and I have no idea what percent of worldwide players in those sports are women compared to soccer, but I wouldn't complain about FIFA making the same amount of tournaments for each gender.

11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    HomietheClown repped this.
  12. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    This has always seemed like a no-brainer to me. After winning multiple youth World Cups, Mexico has been too talented to not get past the first knockout stage of the last seven World Cups. It should be obvious that playing Gold Cups and CONCACAF WCQs just haven't prepared them enough to face the world's best. Friendlies can't make up for competitive game environments either. A Copa Continental with 24 teams (10 CONMEBOL/14 CONCACAF) would be a smart move.

13. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    sorry but I dont buy this argument at all.

If playing in concacaf is good enough for them to qualify for the 2nd round in more WC's than virtually every team not named Brazil, then that certainly isn't the reason why they cannot make the WC quarters.

Before the last WC other than Brazil, Germany and Mexico off the top of my head are the most common teams in the knockout rounds, and last WC Mexico beat out Germany. So concacaf cannot be a hinderance to them if they can be that consistently good on one level.

I would say it is more likely they have a problem mentally or dealing with the pressure of knockout situations. It could just be bad luck of getting tough 2nd round opponents. THey haven't had much luck in that regard. Look at their 2nd round opponents

2018 Brazil
    2014 Holland
    2010 Argentina
    2006 Argentina
    2002 USA
    1998 Germany

thats not very good luck for 2nd round opponents. Nothing but former WC champions with the only year they really should have won being 2002 against a US team that knows them in and out.

So I think the real reason Mexico hasn't made the quarters more often is simply bad LUCK of drawing horrible matchups.

I bet if they went up against a weaker side they would likely win.

andregunts repped this.
  14. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You don't often get a weak team in the last 16 but I take your point.

15. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Well they got those opponents by finishing second in their group. In the years that they topped their group (1994 and 2002) they were matched up against Bulgaria and the USA. They also gave up at least two goals in every Round of 16 game except for 1994. For some reason, at U17 level they don't have problems beating the teams you mentioned or keeping them from scoring. When they won the 2005 U17 WC, they beat Netherlands (SF) and Brazil (F), both shutouts. When they won the 2011 U17 WC, they beat France (QF), Germany (SF), and Uruguay (F-shutout). When they finished second at the 2013 U17 WC, they beat Italy (R16-shutout), Brazil (QF), and Argentina (SF-shutout). They also finished second at the 2019 U17 WC, beating Netherlands in the SF, and losing to Brazil in the Finals.

So if you don't buy that argument, what's your take on why the dominance at youth level hasn't translated into success at senior level? Why do they have a record number of Gold Cups but when they play a combined tournament with South American teams they get knocked out at the QF stage by a 7-0 scoreline?

16. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    This is it really. They benefit from being a good team in a weak federation which means they are seeded above their level for the group stage. So they do well enough at the easier opponents they are given but fail to beat the better ones meaning they end up second in the group and then go out against a strong opponent in the last 16. They're stuck in the middle ground, too good for their federation but not good enough too competet with the top teams at the WC.

Sure the mental side also plays a part in it (they have lost 8 straight knock-out games after all) but that comes from not playing any high class opponents in their federation.
    So I do think that having more regular matches against CONMEBOL teams could help quite a bit.

Of course the part that I think both of you have missed is the fact that stepping up to senior football isn't just a small step forward. Most of the time it's a great big step up that not all make. So where does the Mexican youth players play? And where do they play when they get older? MX? MLS? Europe? It might just be that the players, as individuals, doesn't make the step up and then the national team never will either.

17. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #67 Paul Calixte, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    Pretty much - this last time, they missed out on a much more manageable R16 showdown with Switzerland.

That particular game was such an anomaly that it hardly deserves consideration outside of World Rivalries-level pissing matches (e.g. Mexican vs. South American commenters over on Youtube).

More concretely, it had far more to do with the eccentric style of Mexico's coach at the time, Juan Carlos Osorio, specifically his Quixotic insistence on game-to-game rotations that never allowed a style or defensive shape to coagulate. It worked a charm in WCQ b/c everyone has the same short window to work with their players, but it was no accident that in every tournament in 2016 and 2017, Mexico tended to play worse from one game to the next. Osorio laudably changed tack in the WC finals...but by then, he was asking his team to settle in over three games rather than over three years.

Plus, this ignores two decades - specifically, the 90s and "oughts" - of Mexico competing admirably in the Copa América, reaching two finals and regularly advancing to at least the QFs...with, it should be said, no appreciable effect on their WC performance. This is not dissimilar to other sides in this century who have flattered to deceive in the World Cup in spite of having the benefit of regularly competing in Conmebol's gauntlet: Ecuador, Chile, Peru and even Colombia if you get real nitpicky about 2014 (easy group thanks to favorable FIFA ranking, then facing a Uruguay reeling from Suárez getting himself ejected from the tournament).

Really, the argument needs to be that competing with Conmebol sides is intrinsically good on its own merits, b/c I haven't seen any hard evidence in the short term that it actually helps an outsider like Mexico perform any better on the big stage.

Back to the present: that Mexico haven't been able to compete with their full team in recent editions of the Copa América is entirely due to political disputes out of their control. First, the fallout between Chuck Blazer and Nicolás Leoz that led to the former hamstringing Mexico with the u-23 requirements, and then Conmebol and Concacaf effectively no longer talking to each other after the Centenario (rumored disputes over logistical control and Conmebol's prize money still held up over FIFAGate legal issues).

None of which seemed to hinder Costa Rica in 2014 :rolleyes:

18. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    #68 vancity eagle, Jan 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2020
    you cannot compare youth football to senior football.

African teams have also dominated youth football, much more so than Mexico, and it hasn't really translated for them either.

Mexico is a very good an consistent side, but they aren't better than the teams they failed to beat in the 2nd round with the possible exception of the US in 2002.

You cannot use one aberration 7-0 loss to prove anything. What about when Brazil was beaten 9-1 by Germany in their own backyard. These kind of results can happen to any team.

There is nothing to see here other than the fact that Mexico has regularly (by bad luck) come up against some of the best teams in the world in their 2nd round match.

and plenty of teams have finished 2nd in their group and come up against far more managable opposition than Mexico seems to get in the knockout rounds.

19. Thezzaruz

Thezzaruz Member+

Jun 20, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    None of them really applied to Costa Rica though.

Nothing is certain of course but if their main problem is that they have a hard time beating top class opponents then playing more often against such opponents can't be a bad thing.

20. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you saying, then? Costa Rica are mentally tougher than Mexico? Or that since Concacaf challenges them more, they're better-prepared once bigger tournaments come around?

Agreed - just saying we have 20 years of evidence failing to prove that such experience actually helps.

21. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Costa Rica played Greece.

Mexico has played nothing but ex champs.

It's not any more complicated than that.

22. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, focus on Greece and not the Death Row that Costa Rica survived to earn that game.

All Mexico had to do was beat Uruguay in 2010 like Costa Rica did in 2014, and their knockout round path would've read "South Korea and Ghana" instead of "Argentina and Germany".

BocaFan repped this.
  23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  24. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

its likely that CAF and FIFA consulted together on this matter.

FIFA are the ones who back and mandate the release of players for AFCON during the club season. They also would not have liked the conflict between AFCON and their new clubworld cup, so I think FIFA backed this decision. Just my opinion.

25. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Jurgen Klopp: Liverpool boss says Afcon switch to January is 'catastrophe' for club
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51152641

Personally I have no problem with any window CAF picks, but it should be a
    quadrennial one.

unclesox repped this.