Fifa confederation reform

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Goforthekill, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    except for me because i think it is ridiculous.

2. AwayScores

AwayScores Member

Mar 30, 2012
    North America
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    how about a pacific rim confederation? North/Central America, with Japan, Korea, Russia, Australia, etc. The Caribbean nations could join OFC.

3. madisonroad

madisonroad Member

Jun 20, 2009
    In these two interviews, new CONCACAF General Secretary Enrique Sanz and Traffic USA president Aaron Davidson talk about changes in progress for new competition between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, beginning with a united Copa America. New development programs are being created to benefit all federations and would be funded by additional broadcast revenues brought in from new competition between the major Pan-American powers, thus smaller federations not directly benefiting from that competition would also benefit from the changes.

CONCACAF General Secretary Enrique Sanz's rise to power through Traffic Sports

Interview: New CONCACAF General Secretary Enrique Sanz takes the reins

4. Club Leon

Club Leon Member

Apr 21, 2012
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Man are you thick, Mexico has proven itself in Copa America since being invited go take out your frustration on the US :thumbsup:

5. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    How many times have mexico won copa america

[]__[]

6. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Mexico has it good under current arrangements. They get to play to play in South American competitions without having to go through South American WCQ. There is never a team of Mexico's quality that fails to qualify from CONCACAF, but there is at least one of Mexico's quality that misses out each World Cup in South America.

7. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Combining the two "Americas" actually does not make sense geographically speaking. The "two Americas" is actually about one end of the Northern Hemisphere to the other end of Southern Hemisphere. The flight time between NYC and Buenos Aires or NYC and Rio De Janeiro are over 10 hours.

For Copa America, the US team can spend a week to adjust the time distance, the weather, etc, but for a WCQers, they only get a few days before each game. Can you imagine the US team playing against Chile, Uruguay, Brazil and Argentina in a home and away format in the late stage of the WCQers? Of course, in the real world, the Brazilian players probably have to fly in from Europe, but the distance between the two continents should be a big consideration.

Right now, Australia is doing the same thing when they travel to play in Tokyo or Seoul. Japan or Korea must travel some distance to play against Saudi Arabia or Kuwait.

8. oc2004

oc2004 Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Mexico Worl Cup Results against Conmebol:
    YEAR RD OPPONENTS RESULT
    1930 1R Chile L 0-3
    1R Argentina L 3-6
    1950 1R Brazil L 0-4
    1954 1R Brazil L 0-5
    1962 1R Brazil L 0-2
    1966 1R Uruguay D 0-0
    1986 1R Paraguay D 1-1
    2002 1R Ecuador W 2-1
    2006 2R Argentina [aet] L 1-2
    2010 1R Uruguay L 0-1
    2R Argentina L 1-3

US Worl Cup Results against Conmebol:
    1930 1R Paraguay W 3-0
    SF Argentina L 1-6
    1950 1R Chile L 2-5
    1994 1R Colombia W 2-1
    2R Brazil L 0-1

http://www.planetworldcup.com/NATIONS/maraton.html

9. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    Isn't all of South America only an hour or two ahead of EST?

10. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    That's a poor argument though. Mexico's first Copa America was in 1993 (made the final against Argentina). Argentina hasn't won it since 1993. So if Argentina can't win it since then how can anyone expect Mexico to win it? Chile hasn't even won it yet.

11. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    The Confederations and World Cup places are fine as they are now.

12. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    This does not make any sense especially the part in bold.

13. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Something I would like to see is more inter-continental Qualification matches.
    Maybe CONCACAF 3rd,4th, 5th playing CONMEBOL 4th,5th,6st for three WC spots November of 2017.
    Would be cool. Play the matches in Miami or New York and it could make lots of money

14. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Europe has too many damn slots as well they need to lose at least two

[]__[]

Matt in the Hat and 764dak repped this.
  15. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Although I still believe the confederations are fine as they are now I change my mind about the number of slots
    for each confederation. Europe has too many slots.

16. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I wouldn't mind more half-spots in qualifying either. But......

Why in the world would a team want to give up a home world cup qualifier for a neutral site? I'd understand a neutral third game if a two game series ended in a draw on aggregate, but not this. Especially if the U.S. is ever involved.

17. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Eh, it was just a crazy idea since many people say there are too many games. This would have made it just one match for all the marbles in November.

18. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    I would say that the problem isn't too many games, the problem is too many meaningless friendlies. I for one would trade almost any friendly match for a real world cup qualifier.

19. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Merging OFC with AFC would be a horrible idea. AFC is too big as it is. Just adding a bunch of nations that no offence, would bring the level of AFC down.

The only way I'd be okay with it is, letting the OFC winner enter into the AFC 3rd round.

20. Lemonade

Lemonade Member

Jun 29, 2010
    That would be as reasonable as putting Denmark in CONCACAF because of Greenland. There aren't many Russians east of the Ural

21. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Actually a pretty brill idea.

22. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's my point chile who is better and has better players than mexico hasnt won it because of how strong other teams are in the confederation. Mexico could win copa america once every 20-30yrs maybe if they joined comebol but also they would miss the world cup a few times and would have a hard time qualifying and it wouldnt be as easy as they have it now.

[]__[]

23. 764dak

764dak Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    You know flying from Toronto in Canada to Buenos Aires in Argentina is actually further than flying from London, England to Seoul, South Korea.

Technically speaking, according to plate tectonics Europe and Asia are on one tectonic plate.

Anyway, the confederations are fine as they are now except Europe has too many spots for World Cup.

24. yoni

yoni New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Hi,

I agree . 4 confederations would be OK and in my opinion 2 of them must go to the confederation cup to get 8 teams , powerful teams no like new zealand , always Mexico ( Why ?) , ...

Regards,

Yoni

25. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    For World Cup Qualification I think that creating 4 confeds is a good idea, combining the Americas into one (CAM) and Asia Pacific into one (APAC). This would give us 4 roughly equal confeds (APAC slightly large at almost 60, and COA slightly small at 45) and 32 is divisable by 4.

The actual process of qualifying could be by playoffs between existing confeds or by combining them in truth. From there I would make the allocations as:

CAF: 5.5
    APAC: 5.5
    CAM: 8.5
    UEFA: 12.5

The host should just take a spot from the confed they are in.

After each WC the allocations can be adjusted by the amount of teams that finish LAST in the group. A confed with more than two teams last in their group would lose half a spot, one with less than 2 teams finishing last can gain half a spot. If we look at the last WC then we would get teh above allocation using this method (COA and APAC each had only one team finish last so would gain half a spot, and UEFA and CAF each had 3 teams finish last so would lose half a spot.)

The other option would be to create 8 confeds, this could be a good option long term, but would be much more difficult to set up.