FIFA Club World Cup: Japan 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The tournament participants had to be picked before the 1999 IC game in December as the CWC was played in January of 2000. So the teams were picked back in June shortly after the Libertadores Final. Technically ManU were the IC champions at the time of the competition but not when the teams were picked. That's probably why RM were there. At least that's how it's listed under the wiki.

Nico Limmat and unclesox repped this.
  2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Regarding the CWC and its relationship to the Intercontinental Cup, I find it laughable that FIFA has distanced itself from the original tournament by not including its history on the current FIFA website.
    Here's video of the 1986 match between River Plate and Steaua. Note @44:05 the very brief clip of the stadium scoreboard and the huge FIFA flag flying above it. This tells me that the Intercontinental/Toyota Cup was endorsed and sanctioned by the sport's governing body.

There was a time when FIFA had on their website a list of "Classic Clubs". Here's a capture of that FIFA webpage from 16 December 2008.
    Close attention reveals that the clubs listed were those that had won the Intercontinental Cup, Toyota Cup and/or FIFA Club World Championship/Cup.

On the page for AC Milan we see links to three match reports:
    2007 CWC
    1989 and 1990 Toyota Cups
    1969 Intercontinental Cup
    At the very least, this tells us that as late as 2008 FIFA equated the Intercontinental/Toyota Cup to the present FIFA Club World Cup.
    When and why FIFA decided to change their stance on the Intercontinental Cup is anybody's guess.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #378 Nico Limmat, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    I don't really see a drastic u-turn here. That "classic clubs" section was expanded to include other teams and has now turned into "classic football". Again, the day to day coverage of the Club World Cup on FIFA.com does mention the Intercontinental Cup where appropriate and the statistical kit continues to mention all the IC winners. As long as that doesn't change I'm not worried about FIFA trying to erase the IC history. Would I prefer FIFA to give all IC winners full (official) recognition in retrospect like they did with the King Fahd Cup? Yes, but this may still be preferable compared to the approach with the Olympics where FIFA first officially recognized the 1924 and 1928 winners as "world champions" only to ignore them once they got their own World Cup off the ground. Uruguay fans can sing a song about this.

Anyway, unless FIFA go back and change the 2005 name they will always have a link to the IC.

[​IMG]

FIFA Club World Championship Toyota Cup

In conclusion, the Club World Cup is for all (practical) intents and purposes a direct continuation of the Intercontinental Cup. Anything else is a stubborn, technicality forced argument.

4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Ref explains why he didn't send off Ramos

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Bigger club always gets the calls.

Happens in the Champions, in the Libertadores, everywhere.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  6. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    It's not a Club World Cup prior to actually inviting clubs from other continents. The world was a much more level playing field back in the days and chances were much higher then that a club from another continent would have won it.

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ehhh...I'm more than willing to grant that for CONMEBOL and the CAF, but CONCACAF and the AFC have improved significantly over the last few decades in terms of quality of play, development and global competitiveness. I'm pretty certain that if you had the CWC in the 70s, you'd see the CONCACAF and AFC winners losing by double-digits.

8. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    CONCACAF sure, as a confed, but Mexico always had a strong league. AFC obviously not. CAF up until the 80s had most of their elite players on the continent. So yeah.

Paul Calixte and BocaFan repped this.
  9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Why? The top Mexican players were based at Mexican clubs mostly. And the UEFA winners were less dominant back then.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #385 Nico Limmat, Dec 20, 2016
    Yes, between UEFA and CONMEBOL. But they were head and shoulders above the rest until well into the 90's. You may argue that a regular CWC tournament came a few years too late but that is not enough reason to just discard the Intercontinental Cup winner list since 1960. Had the Toyota Cup been fully inclusive starting in 1980 I still think we would have seen a nearly identical if not identical winner list. At least in my opinion.

I mean CONCACAF won exactly 4 out of 18 Interamerican Cups - and I would say CONCACAF always had a bit more to prove in those than their opponents. That was before Mexico started playing in the Copa Libertadores.

As for CAF teams, I just don't see it.

11. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eminently fair...then again, judging by Mexico's performance in WC finals at the time, Mexican clubs (while not being minnows) wouldn't have been much more of a threat to win the Club World Cup. Perhaps breaking into the final every once in a while, sure.

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    A whole generation of Africa's best players hardly ever played in Europe. The 1982 Cameroon side was basically local based with a few add ons like Roger Milla. And even Milla himself only moved to Europe when he was 25. Cameroon of 1982 was the equal of Poland who finished third and Italy who won the tournament, only failing to not make it out on goals scored and the fact they had a perfectly good goal scratched off vs

African club football since the 1980s is much weaker than it was from the 1970s to the mid-1980s. Since the late 1980s the best talent was being syphooned out of Africa. So not only was CAF stronger then, UEFA wasn't such a powerhouse - there was a more level playing field.

Sure, neither CONCACAF nor CAF would have won a lot, but its safe to say they could have won a few.

My favorite example:
    CANON YOUNDE - African champions in 1978 and 1980 had the following players in their line-up:
    Thomas N'kono
    - Africa's best GK ever (I don't think anyone here would question this)
    Theophile Abega - I would argue Africa's best midfielder ever and without a doubt the best midfielder on the continent during his era
    Gregoire M'bida - one of Africa's best midfielders
    Emmanuel Kunde - an African defensive legend

Now lets take the ICC 1980:
    Nacional (URU) vs Nottingham Forest (ENG)

Can you really honestly say that arguably the best African club side ever that was the backbone of possibly the best African side ever would have no chance against either?

In the 1970s you also had the legendary Guinean side Hafia FC side that dominated most of that decade. We'll honestly never know how good a side this was, because almost none of their players ever played in Europe.

13. la fresa

la fresa Member+

Oct 31, 2005
    texas
    Club:
    Serbian White Eagles
    #388 la fresa, Dec 20, 2016
    i don't think south american teams were head and shouldres above mexican teams in the nineties

after just a few years of competing in the libertadores america reached the semi finals, and were barely edged out 5-4 by a boca team that beat real madrid and ac milan. three years in, actually, cruz azul reached the final and beat that legendary boca jrs in argentina. its also important to remember that toluca was head and shoulders much better than the teams competing in the libertadores at this time, and weren't given a chance to play.

mexico reached the final of the copa america 1993 with all but one player playing in mexico. same with the 99 confederations cup 1st place team. i really don't think they were 'head and shoulders' better than mexican teams tbh.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    If there's a confederation whose clubs have suffered the heaviest losses with the emergence of the European super-clubs, it's CONMEBOL.

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    #390 Nico Limmat, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    Ok, how many do you think could have been different? I say 2-3 tops. Maybe more final pairings could have been different but for an outsider to beat both, European champion and Libertadores winner? Again, I say chances are minimal. Certainly not enough to throw out the Intercontinental Cup list of winners. Would I have preferred for the other confederations to be included sooner? - Yes, but this is what we have.

PS: And that Nottingham Forest side won back-to-back European Cups.
    I think you misunderstood (or I didn't make myself clear). I agree Mexican clubs started to get competitive in the 90's, especially in the second half of the decade. That is incidentally when the (at the time) high-spending Serie A started going on shopping sprees in South America. Ideally the CWC should have been up and running before the year 2000.

Both of you use national teams as a tool of reference and I'm not sure that works really well in club football.

16. Wandile

Wandile Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #391 Wandile, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    In 1976 Argentina played a combined racial South African 11 (during apartheid so there was no official national team) and lost 5-1. Jomo Sono scored a Hattrick. CAF was very well up to world standard at the time. All our best players played within our boarders.

Kaizer Chiefs of the late 70s and early 80s was arguably the best team on the continent. Their (and other SA players) players went overseas occasionally and when they did, they made waves. Jomo Sono laughingly played in the same team as Pele and gave him one or two nut megs that upset Pele.

The Brazilians told Jomo that Pele was unhappy and that in order to appease him , Jomo needed to nutmeg a certain German defender in their upcoming match. Homie didn't just nutmeg the player once but twice that game. Justa. Funny piece of history lol

You should now lol

17. Wandile

Wandile Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Patrick Pule "Ace" Ntsoelengoe was part of that team that beat Argentina 5-1. He was the best player in South African history and one of the best Africa has ever produced.

The Argentina coach, Oscar Martinez, was mesmerised and moved to say, "He is almost a perfect footballer. He can dribble, he can shoot, he can defend. He is good in the air, good on the ground. He is good everywhere you can think of"

Jomo and Ace made it into the American hall of fame for football along side Pele and other great footballers playing in the old American league

unclesox repped this.
  18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Errr.....I think you just about used up your credibility for the year after the Sundowns fiasco. :D

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  19. Wandile

Wandile Member

Jun 17, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    1. Lol nice come back. Football can be unpredictable that way.

But seriously South Africa beat Argentina 5-1. A team that would later go on to win the World Cup. Things really were a lot more balanced back then than today

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Club America are back in domestic action tonight in the Liga MX final series.

Kashima Antlers also aren't done with their season as they have a Emperor's Cup quarterfinal to play on 24/12. If they advance to the final they could be playing their last match of the season on 01/01/17.

21. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since @jared9999 stopped blessing us with these for some reason... :D

22. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I'm sure Jared's been busy taking care of his fam, that's why he hasn't posted much.
    The 2 greatest accomplishments in MX club football history. Only CWC accomplishments can be considered for that, since Liberators Cup accomplishments are only reserved for teams not good enough to have reached the league Final.

jared9999 repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well yes and no. There is a lot of parity in the Mexican league though so by the time the teams that qualify for the Copa Libertadores actually get to play in that tournament, they may be one of the best teams in Mexico.

Conversely a team can win the Mexican title in 2014, which means they play in the CONCACAF CL during 2015-16 and then the CWC in late-2016. By the time they actually get to play in the CWC they may no longer be the best team in Mexico.

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Tigres that made the final of Libertadores 2015 was one of the best in Mexico at that point. Only America was playing at that level.

The America that played this CWC is still one of the two best in Mexico. The other is, once again, Tigres.

I guess those two are the most consistent in the last three years or so.

25. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Whether the current MX champ ends up having a Marlins-esque fire sale while the Lib Cup teams reinforce with all-stars, the fact remains that the MX Champ is barred from the Lib Cup tournament because they were too good the previous season. That's what always puts a grain of salt on Lib Cup results by MX teams, so the CWC accomplishments must be put on a higher plane.
    Well, they're the reigning CCL Champs, so they have continental bragging rights regardless. They can use the excuse of preparing for the CWC to explain why they did bad in the league.