FIFA Club World Cup: Japan 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland

Say what you will about the CWC or its format, those were two great games today.

SiberianThunderT and Paul Calixte repped this.
  2. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Yes, especially the final. The best CWC final in years, regardless of what we may think about the format. Excellent, wide open football from both sides.

3. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Final Standings

1. Real Madrid (UEFA)
    2. Kashima Antlers (AFC, Host)
    3. Atletico Nacional (CONMEBOL)
    4. Club America (CONCACAF)
    5. Jeonbuk Motors (AFC)
    6. Mamelodi Sundowns (CAF)
    7. Auckland City (OFC)

Coming back to attendance, this was by far the lowest attended CWC in Japan:

2005 - 37,351
    2006 - 43,163
    2007 - 45,553
    2008 - 44,439
    2011 - 38,167
    2012 - 35,383
    2015 - 34,039
    2016 - 29,804

(Average Attendance)

I am willing to bet 2019 will be in China. Alibaba will make it happen.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    China could shake things up, but not at the very top of the European elite where talent and wealth is only more likely to concentrate going forward. Certainly not in the 10-15 year window that I am looking at. At least not in my opinion. Top teams in other confederations however may want to pay close attention to what is happening in the Chinese Super League. Especially if more roster spots open up for foreigners.
    I find that highly unlikely. I expect CONMEBOL to be busy fighting off the rest rather than giant slaying. Look, I enjoyed today's final as much as the next guy but it is the exception rather than the rule. In the last decade how many finals were truly competitive excluding Corinthians' victory? 2009 and this year. Maybe the rest can wrestle away 2 out of 10 (with South American hosting?) in the next decade but that is it.

5. Sandinista

Sandinista Member+

Apr 11, 2010
    Buenos Aires
    Club:
    Racing Club de Avellaneda
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bring back home and away games at the final.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can just see the look Ceferin's face if Infantino were to suggest that to him.

7. efmarca

efmarca New Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hey bro. Stop talking like that.

The European-South American Cup is not the same as the FIFA Club World Cup. They are absolutely 2 different competitions. Real Madrid have been 3 times BI-CONTINENTAL CHAMPION (european-south american champion) and 2 times WORLD CHAMPIONS. Thats the true of all.

If you dont believe me, check at the end of this article written by FIFA on December 2007: http://www.fifa.com/about-fifa/news...ogramme-and-upper-altitude-limit--660747.html

PD: If you find another article after that date that says that FIFA considers the E-S Cup a world title, let me know. Im sure you will not find it because the truth is revealed there.

8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I'm already nervous about a Chinese team pulling a Kashima or even Raja when China hosts. Ugh, OFC Champ, please beat the UAE guys the next 2 years.
    Elaborate.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I'm probably responding to a sock but here we go...

May I suggest you enter "Real Madrid+Pentacampeon" into google because it seems a rather large number of media outlets didn't get your memo of "absolutely different competitions".

Example:
    [​IMG]

Yes, FIFA stop short of fully recognizing past Intercontinental Cup winners as official "FIFA champions" (something they did for the King Fahd Cup in Confederations Cup history) but everyone knows that it was the de facto world championship. The clubs, the players, the fans and the media that has covered this competition for a while.

The Intercontinental Cup even features prominently in FIFA's own coverage of the the Club World Cup. Have a look at this year's statistical kit. There is an entire section dedicated to the Intercontinental Cup with a list of winners.
    Yes, two merged tournaments are "absolutely different competitions" - gotcha. :rolleyes:

unclesox repped this.
  10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Errr....no. UAE football doesn't need that humiliation again. :D

A quick fix would be to put the host spot back on the European side of the bracket. That creates a semifinal "ceiling" for the hosts.

11. samurai_kicks

samurai_kicks Red Card

Dec 19, 2016
    • Trolling
    Haha. Everyone hates us Japanese. I have to agree with you, though. Qualifying for the WC as hosts is a big joke. :D We Japanese stop cheating! However it was our easist way to participate in this competition because our clubs have been punching bags of the Korean, Australian and Chinese sides in the ACL. :mad:

It's called FOOTBALL and la fresa repped this.
  12. faiyez

faiyez Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Costa Rica
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The idea of a confed champion from Oceania not pulling through over objectively more competitive teams. I'm almost wondering if it keeps you awake at night.

13. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    According to this Atletico Nacional brought about 5,000 fans to Japan:
    While not nearly as many as Corinthians or River Plate that is still a very respectable figure.

unclesox repped this.
  14. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    You should go tell the players who ran their asses off that it's ok to be the victim of an unfair referee decision because "it balances out the home advantage" (in a stadium 75% filled with plastic Real fans).
    And your fanatic dogmatism when we just lived the most excited CWC in a while is also quite funny. Ok this was awesome and exciting but I can't sleep at night because they're not the champions of their confederations !!!!!

15. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Looking ahead to UAE 2017, the host venues have been announced. Hazza Bin Zayed Stadium in Al Ain (22,700) and Zayed Sports City (43,000) in Abu Dhabi. Both cities are in the Emirate of Abu Dhabi.

Pretty sure they initially said Zayed Sports City wasn't going to host (due to renovations for the 2019 Asian Cup) but I guess that has changed? Or did someone confuse the two major Abu Dhabi grounds - the other being the Mohammed Bin Zayed Stadium? As I predicted previously Al Ain got the nod and it's the first time a stadium with under 40K capacity gets to host the CWC. And that's just fine - the first three games won't draw more than that.

Not to mention it's a real gem:

[​IMG]

16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well they did skip a bunch of difficult steps.

Home advantage comes with a bunch of advantages. Its not just about being able to drive to a familiar stadium from your house.

17. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Just like France when they won in 98. Let's strip them.
    At the end of the day, it was played on the pitch and they prevailed against the champions.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No, not just like France. First of all, Antlers didn't win it all. Secondly France only skipped the easier steps that one normally must take to win a WC. Antlers skipped many of the more difficult steps.

19. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    Antlers won the national title and the right to be the representant of the host (it's the rule). You need to get-over-it.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm over it. Was just responding to your comment suggesting that posters who claimed Antlers received a huge advantage are wrong.

21. Saku²

Saku² Member+

Aug 22, 2009
    Club:
    FC Salzburg
    And they didn't receive a "huge" advantage no. Entering the bracket directly in the semi final is a huge advantage.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Well "huge" is subjective I suppose but they skipped 4 out of the 7 knockout rounds needed to reach a CWC final.

It's not like you can say "they would have had a good chance to reach the final w/o these advantages".

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It doesn't bother me either but I still have no idea why eventual 2000 FIFA champions Corinthians were allowed to compete in that tournament ahead of 1999 Libertaores champs Palmeiras. :confused:

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Technically Vasco was the team that was not supposed to be there. Corinthians were the Brazilian champions at the time so from a host perspective, it makes sense. Vasco were Libertadores champions of 98 and Palmeiras of 99. My guess is they wanted a representative from Sao Paulo and another one from Rio for obvious reasons. Corinthians and Palmeiras are both from Sao Paulo. FIFA promised Palmeiras they'd play in the 2001 edition so they didn't complain as far as I know. But that competition never happened as ISL, FIFA's marketing partner, went bankrupt.

Real Madrid were also there only because they were the IC champions as ManU were the current CL champions at that time.

25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From memory, I recall Vasco and Real were invited as '98 champs to complete an eight team tournament.

Manchester United were the defending Intercontinental champions at the January 2000 CWC in Brazil, having defeated Palmeiras in Japan in December '99.