FIFA 2023 U17 Finals Thread (All Teams, Tournament News)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 15, 2023.

1. superdave

superdave BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you ********ing ever happy?

2. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    My top 5 prospects from this team:

1. Berchimas (doh!)
    2. Figueroa
    3. Medina
    4. Banks
    5. Soma

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Corcoran was MVP in the last game, and generally the most complete player with defined position.

Michael_SD and Reccossu repped this.
  4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more. I think Segares set the bar so low, and then cleared the low bar.

I'm not going to say he got lucky. I credit him for advancing out of the group. I didn't see it coming, yet it's important to remember that the South Korea and Burkina Faso games weren't ones we dominated. Those could've very easily went for the other team.

Also, he made some pretty bone-headed decisions in this tournament. The situation with the two CB's being suspended last game is something he could've avoided with how he managed the minutes in the France game. He made the triple sub right before Germany scored the winner. I'm not even sure how it would've helped. Nothing to me suggested those three would've been much better for penalties. It back-fired big time.

His roster selections have also been weak. Yeah, I agree this team wasn't overly talented. The '06 group is deep, but lacks a lot of incredibly high level talents, and '07 is, at best, the same (at worst it might not even have that depth). Yet, he's persisted with certain types of players all cycle. There are others he could've selected. He wants mistake-free CB's (guys like Hall and Hawkins). Their pro projection is very questionable. It took him until September of the second year of the cycle to recognize Banks belonged on the team. He preferred Hall, Hawkins, and Christian Diaz as the top 3 (and some others also) ahead of him on the depth chart before then.

He's went for a lot of small, smart, technically skilled attackers (Burton, Vazquez, Medina, Morales) that can interchange well. He wanted a game where the attackers could interchange positions, like a Spain. Yet, that doesn't work if your players are closer to Mexico level. He didn't bring a big striker to this tournament and hasn't used one all cycle (options such as Glover and Sipic were given no chance). He basically lost the CONCACAF finals to Mexico because we had no speed. He only recognized his mistake afterwards, and added Berchimas and Jamison. He left off consensus top players like Akinmboni and Olney for questionable reasons.

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Overall all players:

Beaudry-He kind of showed what I usually see in today's game. Small GK with too many mistakes. Reflexes are inconsistent (at best). Not high on his potential, but the first two games were good. Credit to him there.

Ferree-I can't really blame him for the loss to France. Had little to do in that game. I still question his height and decision-making, but I like his reflexes and feet. Has some potential, but he's no sure-thing.

Campagnolo-Didn't play. Too bad. I think people need to add him to their projections for who from this team could emerge. He's arguably the best GK prospect from '05-'08.

Harangi-Too inconsistent defensively for being slow and not amazing technically. He could be a pro. I don't see USMNT upside.

Verhoeven-Used out of position all tournament, so grade him on a curve. I don't think he has great potential. He's not "great" at anything, but he's usually consistent. Probably doesn't have a big USMNT impact, but has some low-end USMNT potential.

Hall-See Tayvon Gray.

Hawkins-I think he'll be an average MLS CB. Could end up a little better or a little worse. Safe, smart, good positioning. Not inept on the ball. Not overly quick, not overly tall, and doesn't take many risks.

Banks-I think probably the best long-term prospect on this team. You could argue one or two others, but he's definitely up there. Tall, athletic, good defensive instincts, has some ability on the ball. Needs a little work, but not overly raw.

Reid Brown-He's been going down in my estimation. The technical quality hasn't really progressed, and neither has the tactical side of the game (offensively or defensively). He's decently athletic, but that's not enough. Could be a pro LB, but I don't see USMNT upside.

Corcoran-He has a few major flaws in his game that need corrected (tactical play defensively and passing accuracy). His athleticism is also somewhere between a minor issue and a big issue, but he can be a difference maker technically and has ball-winning potential. We'll see.

Soma-I was disappointed by his tournament. He was fine, but he wasn't much better. I just don't see him as a clear star prospect right now. Not quick enough for 5'10. He has the technical quality, he's smart, and is a good ball-winner. I think he has USMNT potential, but there are holes to improve on. Not a sure-thing.

Habroune-He has obvious ball-progression abilities and a lot of offensive ability for a #8. He's probably no worse than an average athlete and has some ability to win the ball. Needs to learn tactical defensive aspects (positioning, picking up runs). I see USMNT potential, but we'll see.

Rudisill-Versatile, safe, consistent, yet limited. He's a little like an Edelman of this U-17 cycle. He's probably a pro, but I just don't see USMNT potential.

Medina-I thought he had a very positive tournament. Really showed up. Hasn't always the last few years. Has the passing, dribbling, quickness, end product. Needs to work on consistency, getting stronger, and figuring out his true position. We'll see.

Morales-I thought he actually had a good tournament in limited minutes, but we aren't going on a big sample. I think he's just not dynamic and quick enough for the role.

Vazquez-He has potential to be a decent pro, but not at LW. It'll be as a CAM/RW (where his club uses him). Has the technical/tactical quality and some creativity, but he's slow and not overly dynamic. Don't see USMNT potential.

Miller-Doesn't have the game to be a winger. Not dynamic enough. I like his game at LB. He has USMNT potential and is one of the best prospects on this team. He's smart, has good offense for LB, and enough defense. Maybe in 3 years he's where Noah Allen is now. He also might not. We'll see.

Jamison-He has the athleticism and dribbling to be a pro. End product and decision-making has long been the question. It's gotten better, but still may not be good enough. Maybe he turns into a pro RB. Probably lacks USMNT potential, but eh, it's reasonably close.

Berchimas-One of the best prospects on this team, if not the very best. Yes, he's an early developer, but he's also just very good. I wonder a little if he's truly like a Pulisic level winger or if he's closer to a Weah (or even Aaronson). He's 15, so you never know what happens, but it's quite realistic he could be a USMNT player.

Figueroa-I still don't see what some do. He's a decent athlete, but nothing special. Goal-scoring is decent, but nothing special. Not overly good technically or with his decision-making. I think he's likely a pro. Not sure he has USMNT potential. Had a quiet tournament.

Burton-He has some good qualities (movement, pressing, work-rate, ball-control), but very little end-product, easily pushed off the ball, and not overly dynamic. Could be a Brenden Aaronson style pro, but a lesser version most likely. Don't see USMNT potential.

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I forgot the Akinmboni exclusion. The manager made his own bed in that regard. There's a huge confirmation or style bias there that's narrowing the pool. Always a problem.

Vis a vis Vazquez, I simply disagree on your assessment here. He looks more athletic than Gutierrez at this age. He's very quick and fluid. Wins a lot of individual battles. Good defensively. In conjunction w/ plenty of skill, to the point he's the set piece taker, that should get him into many teams alone. Then he has a pretty high level set of dribble moves for an American and his vision + accuracy on whipped in balls is sublime. So I could see him on the left, or right, or CAM. These positions are all open to him. Excited to see how he develops.

adam tash repped this.
  7. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    It should not be overlooked that Figueroa, Medina and Banks are all second-half birthdates.

gogorath and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  10. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Just read that France fielded an illegible player who had played for Niger during qualifying for this tournament. They may get tossed.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It's a bit late for us! We could have conceivably moved up.

12. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Toss those tossers!

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I doubt they'll do anything. They didn't disqualify Ecuador from the World Cup for something similar.

Thundering165 and Boysinblue repped this.
  14. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Good to know I can watch 4 games once a year and come to almost the exact same as conclusion as a guy who's been following these players since they were in diapers :)

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  15. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Corcoran has an ability to be in a right time in a right place. And that's as critical for #6 as uncoachable. Leaving that position for him while moving Soma back is the principal reason for the team unexpectedly strong performance against Germany. He will have plenty of interest from BL after that.

Namdynamo and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  16. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    I do not think it is that similar. That "Ecuadorian" had been "Ecuadorian" for quite a while. It was more of a "dot the I's and cross the T's" on his immigration paperwork. Also, he did not play in the World Cup. This French player actually played in the U17 qualifiers for another country. This is specifically against the rules.

majspike repped this.
  17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something somewhat similar actually got the Mexican senior team in trouble years ago.

18. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    If I recall correctly, Mexico used an overage player in U-something. They were banned from the 1990 World Cup. Ecuador was given a 3-point deduction in the current WC qualifiers. I doubt anything will happen to France. Different standards of justice for rich Euros.

majspike repped this.
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be easier if the punishments were for the age group where the infraction occurred. So France can't be in the next U17 WC.

dna77054 repped this.
  20. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Argentina did the exact same thing in the U-20 World Cup.

21. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    An overage player? In the most recent U-20? I followed that U20 rather closely. I do not remember it being mentioned anywhere, even in the bigsoccer thread. Can you provide more information?

22. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #347 Boysinblue, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    deejay means Argentina did the exact same thing in the U-20 World Cup as France is doing now (fielding a player who appeared in qualifiers for a different country, not fielding an overaged player). Player is current Inter Miami defender Tomas Aviles.

gomichigan24, Winoman and TimB4Last repped this.
  23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    For those still following the tournament, Germany and Argentina drew 3-3, with Germany prevailing 4-2 in PKs.

France v Mail soon to kick off in the second semifinal.

The match for third place is on Friday and the Final is on Saturday.

Mr Martin and Winoman repped this.
  24. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    Mali goes up 1-0 on France at the half, gets a red card at 55', and is now down 2-1. Rough.

25. IsrraelJimz

IsrraelJimz New Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 19, 2023
    USA lost to the 2 finalists, Germany and France.