FIFA 2023 U17 Finals Thread (All Teams, Tournament News)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    #276 Maximum Optimal, Nov 19, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    I'm not advocating that Tillman and Reyna be a regular pairing in midfield.

Nor do I believe that Medina will surpass Reyna and Tillman.

Nor have I expressed an opinion about pairing Medina and Habroune.

What I have argued is that Medina's talent is pitched higher than some of the players from the just graduated cohort of U-20 players: Luna, Gutierrez, Wolff, Pukstas. As an aside I'll say that Busio is also better than that group. As an aside to that aside, I think Medina will end up being better than Busio. Note that I leave McGlynn (who I regard as a sort of black swan player who could break the molds) out of this conversation. McGlynn to me is a very hard player to project but I try not to give too much weight to the potential upside.

Returning to Medina, I think he has had two strong matches in this tournament, which more or less reinforces my priors.

I'm also of the view his future is in the midfield not the wing.

And with respect to this tournament we need him in midfield more than on the wings.

Namdynamo repped this.
  2. TimbersArmy

TimbersArmy Member

Manchester United
    Spain
    Sep 20, 2023
    You and I agree. He’s a talented boy. That doesn’t make others opinions invalid or wrong. As for pitched higher…we just have to wait and see. Much will depend on how San Jose rates him. I actually prefer him wide in a Foden type role where he can play in interior pockets.

Maximum Optimal and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Don't look now, but Mexico has a not-unreasonable path to the semis. They start with Mali, a second-place team (a seemingly strong one that lost only 1-0 to Spain in group play, but still) and then get either Morocco, which didn't dominate its group, and Iran, a third-place team from a tough group. Of course anything can happen but maybe bears watching.

4. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    As far as the Germany game, I think the only shot we will have is if we are able to score two or three goals. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for Keyrol, Berchimas, Medina, etc. to do that, but even that might not be enough.

Who of Harangi, Reid-Brown, and Verhoeven pairs with Hawkins? I'd avoid using Verhoeven there because he gives more than either of the other two on the outside.

What does the midfield look like? Does Morales get a start (I think he's the only field player who hasn't started a match yet)? I hope it's Corcoran, Some, Medina, but I wouldn't be surprised if Morales starts since rotation seems to be more important than putting out the best lineup a lot of times in these youth tournaments.

Is anyone besides Hall and Banks unavailable?

5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    They did this in 2019. Sleepwalked group stages, played well against two accessible opponents, rope-a-doped Netherlands and then was outclassed in the final against Brazil.

Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm not expecting to advance beyond Germany. Mostly I just want to see how Berchimas and Figueroa do against a top team in this tournament.

7. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Yes that's right, the classic either/and construction, great job there Dave.

don Lamb and Winoman repped this.
  8. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Mali's road was weird:
    Beat Cameroon and Burkina Faso in their group stage matches 2-0 and 1-0, the South Sudan squad was disqualified, winning their group. They advanced to the knockouts where they beat Congo 3-0 to qualify, before losing in the semi's to Morocco on penalties after playing to 0-0 draw. They lost the consolation game against Burkina Faso, a rematch, 1-2.

Morocco's road:
    Beat South Africa 2-0, Nigeria 1-0 and inexplicably lost to Zambia on a penalty late, 2-1 but still won their group. Morocco beat Algeria 3-0, before advancing on Penalties after a 0-0 draw with Mali where they lost in the final to Senegal 2-1.

Iran:
    Thrashed Afghanistan, tied Qatar 0-0, and then beat South Korea 2-0. Advanced as group winner to the knockouts. They then advanced to the Semifinals via penalties over Yemen!!!! (WTF???, why did that go to penalties?), before getting smashed 3-0 against Japan. No 3rd place game, just Japan whooping on South Korea 3-0 in the final (just like Iran was).

As previously mentioned, I think that Iran win over Brazil was a mega fluke. Iran's group stage matches in qualifying were that flukey result against the run of play, a solid defeat to England 1-2 (not played off the field), and they smashed New Caldonia.

So to me, anyway, I think Iran is a win for Mexico, but Mali and Morocco are pretty much toss ups, kind of similar to Burkina Faso in that both are solid to pretty good, but can be beaten w/o question. If Mexico plays like they did in the first two matches, they're crashing out against Mali, but if they show up for this game, they can beat Mali, beating Mali and Morocco both would be much harder to me than Mali and Iran.

I'd bet on Mali, for now though, because 2 of their 3 group stage games were against legit sides. That finale was not. Thrashing New Zealand isn't meaningful.

Boysinblue repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rudisill.

don Lamb repped this.
  10. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I think Morales at the moment a better “10” in terms of the traditional expectations than anyone else on the team. He’s just an 0,7 though, and at this stage thats a big difference.

I think Habroune is more impactful of a player than Medina from a box to box sense and it shows. He just needs to be able to handle changing the pace of the game, but that’s a universal problem with this group. They have one speed which is fast enough to make mistakes but not fast enough to make good teams sweat on transition. If I had to bet on either Habroune or Medina I’d go with the former. To me Habroune will top out as an Amaya type undersized progression machine with a little final third ability. I don’t see Medina being a high level pro.

I think with a first choice starting XI we’d give Germany a game. With a cobbled together back line I really have no clue. If we win or keep it close I’ll watch the replay. I’m happy with Ro16.

11. SunnyD

SunnyD New Member

Man city
    United States
    Mar 11, 2022
    Not fair to Morales. If he was good enough to get invited, play the kid. If not, shouldn't have taken a spot from an another 06 that could have gone.

I thought he played decent first game, definitely deserved some more minutes.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Regardless of whether he deserves more time or not, Morales spot makes no sense to me. He’s barely played. Only player other than the 3rd GK to not start a game. Only played in one of the games. Clearly Segares doesn’t trust him. Why didn’t Segares select a fourth CB (or someone comfortable at CB) instead? Bad roster management.

don Lamb and adam tash repped this.
  13. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    40 in. The only question is can the USYNT score five goals. Because they won't hold Germany under 4. Unless the heat gets to them.

14. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    We look like we could create scoring chances. So that’s a positive

15. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Ref has been abysmal this half no review on a clear hand all penalty and then a German player drags verhovan down by his neck and gets no yellow. Oscar almost pulls a dest

gomichigan24, Winoman, TimB4Last and 4 others repped this.
  16. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Berchimas is not up to this level.

ProfessorVoetbal repped this.
  17. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    USA has been the better team this half.

ProfessorVoetbal repped this.
  18. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The commentary on this game is really discrediting thé USA. They’ve been thé much better team in the second half, and they’re making it seem as if they are holding on for dear life.

19. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Vasquez equalizer! Well deserved.

Boysinblue repped this.
  20. Boysinblue

Boysinblue Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The German player trying to dive for the foul for the free kick won by Berchimas was ridiculous, was scared the ref actually fell for it

21. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Wow. What a fluke goal to concede. Heartbreaking for thé USA, who were the better team for a large chunk of this match.

22. Ghost

Ghost BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 5, 2001
    When this team advances the ball into the other box, it always feels like a small victory. A lot of fight in this team. Not a whole lot of talent.

23. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    An excellent game, unfortunate result.

gomichigan24, bballshawn and dark knight repped this.
  24. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Disagree. There is talent there, but not in attacking positions outside of Medina.

25. Gacm32

Gacm32 Member+

Chelsea
    Switzerland
    Nov 28, 2010
    Geneva
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    They had 12 shots. You’re making it seem as if they were dominated.

Namdynamo repped this.