FIFA 2023 U17 Finals Thread (All Teams, Tournament News)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 15, 2023.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Right decision to have squad rotation.
    Be fresh for the knockout round.
    Give lots of kids a chance.

Pegasus repped this.
  2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    At the moment, we are 2nd in Group E (2E). If we beat France, we’ll be 1E. If we draw or lose, we’ll remain 2E.

In the opening knockout round (R16), 1E will play 2D Senegal on Wednesday; 2E will play 1F Germany on Tuesday.

3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume the hostility of the fairly large crowd is political rather than some massive support for France.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  4. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Almost made it to HT unscathed.

France scores at 45+2’ - USA 0-1 France @ HT

5. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Habroune has played well, the costly late turnover notwithstanding. Banks, Hawkins, Corcoran and Medina have also been good in the first half.

Winoman, ussoccer97531 and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awwwwwww. Best chance of the game. Medina has to hit that

7. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not having Banks next match is going to hurt....should sub in his replacement now to get him game time

8. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot naviety from the USA (as usual :rolleyes:)

2/3 players missing next match now from yellows/injuries, sloppy turnovers out of the back, spastic final balls

not much separating France and the US.....

for me it is just France doesnt play as naively.

9. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    The wheels came off in the end. Medina showed his quality in this match.

10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  11. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now both CBs out ?

very very NAIVE

what was the coaching telling them??????????

12. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That red was unnecessary (understatement)

r0adrunner and dark knight repped this.
  13. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    One of the fullbacks will have to play CB against Germany.

14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Playing Banks in this match was a very questionable coaching decision. The Hall red is just one of those things.

15. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no ...there is no diffrence in losing 3-0 or 4-0....very dumb tackle

16. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure how that game couldve gone any worse.....literally doomsday scenario took place

will be interesting to see how the next game goes now. at least. but not optimistic for the USA

17. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Have to admit, I didn't like it (I was asleep). Germany has pulverised everyone they've faced. We aint got no chance against them whatsoever. None. Against Senegal, that's more reasonable, though we'd be underdogs. Really a bummer to see the backups put a ton of fight up for 40ish before falling but man, if we could have pulled a result off here, a run to the quarters while unlikely was possible. I see no way through Germany whatsoever other than an all timer kind of shock result. We've had a few over the years (France in '19, Brazil and Uruguay in '07, nearly Argentina in '03) but a win over Germany, needless to say, would be right up there with those results, except all of those U20 sides were significantly stronger as an opponent measured up against those power sides than this U17 group. Bummed out. But I get it. It's just a shame that I think we'll go out with back to back crushing losses that leave a bad taste for both players and fans and considering what they did in the opening two matches.

It is what it is though, I'm proud of them, they did a real nice job finishing ahead of Burkina Faso and put up a lot of fight last night with backups. Not bad.

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see the 1st 2 matches. Sounded like the opposite of this 1, because this was close, but not on the scoreline in the end. Your luck evens out.

Harangi should go of the way of Harambe..in the sense of his spot in the lineup for this team under normal circumstances. Gets beat on the 1st, from an overreaction to the initial move. Then the 2nd was totally unacceptable to mistouch toward his own goal.

The lack of a 9 hurt the team offensively. There was no out ball. Players needed to carry a ways and buy time 1 on 2-3. A high press instead of mid block would have compensated. Problem is that's risky against France.

I don't know if there are obvious positives from an individual performance standpoint. Everyone was pretty flawed. It's a matter of ironing those out. Like I'm intrigued by Vazquez, but he needs to not fall in love w/ the dribble so much. I guess from a performance and tools combo, Corcoran would be the winner. He was a sound player in this match.

On the negative side, I've just never seen it from Harbroune. I know he kills it in Next Pro (which I don't watch), but on the u-17's he doesn't play quickly enough and isn't intricate in tight spaces. Maybe it's that they play him at the 8 here. Medina always leaves plenty to be desired. If you're going to lack range, you got to be precise on the ball, and he's not. Plays too slow and not overly poised on the last ball.

At CB next match I'd think you just start Verhoeven w/ Hawkins. Might mean Harambe needs to play unfortunately.

Boysinblue and butters59 repped this.
  19. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Zaire-Emery just started for France's senior team. He is an 06. Puts things in perpective.

deejay and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I've seen the first half only, and agree that Corcoran was the top player, while both FBs and Harbourne were the worst. Harbourne, though, was OK in the first two. Don't know how to evaluate Burton, who was playing a target forward despite to being 5 inches shorter and about 50 lbs. lighter than any French player in the middle. So the kid was bravely fighting for all the balls, mostly ending up on the ground. From what I've seen, Germany is by far better than France, so the next game will be the last, but overall a good tournament, overachieving against superior opponents.

thedukeofsoccer repped this.
  21. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I wasn’t able to watch the whole game, and I probably won’t rewatch this one, but I do know Habroune had one of the best moments in the first half where he turned under tight pressure and basically eliminated 3 France defenders. Ended up in one of the better USA chances.

22. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Maybe this belongs in another thread but while I watched the game I kept thinking that that's what our players should look like- France long, lean, athletic, skillful. Then I looked at a player like Corcoran. He had a decent game, I thought, but he looked so overmatched, not just athletically but in the way he moved in comparison to the lithe and supple French players. We have a long, long, long way to go.

23. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    We could run out 11 Diego Lunas for all I care. It’s not about what they look like it’s how they play. French precision and composure on the ball was on another level. Looked like varsity vs JV.

Unfortunately the only way to beat a France is to make them uncomfortable. This team isn’t built for that. It’s hard to do when all your opponents before France beat themselves.

In 2019 the U20s made them uncomfortable. Forced turnovers and punished them.

dark knight and Boysinblue repped this.
  24. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Just not a strong team.

25. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought only a few guys looked like they belonged on the field with France.

Banks, that’s an obvious one. He can really play and has a very bright future. I don’t think much more explanation is needed there.

Corcoran, Medina, Habroune all had their moments. I wouldn’t rule them out for the future either.

Corcoran just is naive tactically from a defensive standpoint and his passing accuracy comes and goes. With time, he could be a good player. He needs to learn how to make tactical fouls and slow players down, even if he doesn’t have the speed to beat them in a race. Too often he just lets them go if he can’t win the ball cleanly. His passing accuracy is also way too inconsistent for someone as talented technically as he is.

Habroune is too loose with the ball close to his own goal, doesn’t use his left enough, and doesn’t yet understand tactical defense (picking up runs, positioning, etc). He’s newer to the 8, so I’ll cut him some slack there. He has obvious potential with how he progresses the ball and can win it decently too, but needs work.

Medina has clear attacking quality with dribbling in small spaces, passing vision, taking up good attacking spots, and end product. He needs to bulk up and figure out whether he’s a 10 or winger. I’m not sure it’s clear. He also has to not disappear so much from games, although today that obviously wasn’t a problem.

The others, they just are too limited, whether it’s technically, tactically, physically, athletically. That’s okay. Not all these guys are going to make it at a high pro level. That’s the reality of a team like this.

deejay and Boysinblue repped this.