FIFA 2004 vs. Winning XI

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by jwaldman11, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    OK, I'm putting together my Xmas list and debating whether to include FIFA 2004 on there. I'm curious as to what others who have played it think about it in comparison to both previous FIFA games and in comparison to Winning Eleven, which I've never played, but I keep hearing great things about. Keep in mind that TH14 is on the cover of FIFA, so that's weighing in its favor at the moment!

2. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've only played FIFA 2004 and so far I think it is 11-% better than 2003's version. It has the Worthington/Carling/whatever you call it Cup along with the FA Cup.

They have this years line up along with ST13.

There aren't as many crap fouls as before meaning you might be able to knock someone down and not get called. There are shoulder barges, pulling people down, running people over, etc...

No champions league, but they make up for that with the various league cups. More stadiums. More leagues and teams.

Graphics are good.

free kicks are a bit harder to make.

Semipro is harder than before.

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Do they have a PC version of FIFA 2004?

And is it any good? I still have crappy N64...DAMN. Yes I still play FIFA 99....ah the good old days.

4. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think they have a pc version and I'm sure it is good. PS2 version is great.

5. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hmm...i am basing this thinking that you are talking about ps2.

fifa is fifa. it has its problems but everything you like about it as a fifa fan.
    i used to be like that, winning eleven 6 comes out (winning eleven international which is what i guess you want?) and i order it from japan. commentary is in japanese, graphics not too good, fake kits, i patched a translation tho. i thought it was an awesome game, much better than fifa, still some problems tho.
    we6:final evolution comes out and my friend gets it for gamecube, again fake kits, etc. this game is SO much better than we6 that i throw away (well just never used it again) my we6.
    ok 2-3 months ago we7 comes out. WOW this game is fackin awesome. i finally learn of some websites with patches and at least get all text in english and have been loving it. and now they have cracked it completely so new stadiums, chants, teams, kits, faces, shoes, up to date transfers, the works.
    this game is now called pro evolution soccer 3 in europe for ps2 and pc. it will be out in the US in march i believe. if u want an xmas present and have a cd burner i recommend you get it. you can not even imagine how much better it is than fifa.

6. Aaron Stollar

Aaron Stollar Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Falls Church, Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought FIFA yesterday and I was really impressed...

7. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK. FIFA has finally got the full-on Madden treatment from EA. jwaldman, I don't know if you're in the States, but if you are, it may be wise to hold out until February 2004, when Winning Eleven 7 comes out over here. No doubt about it, FIFA is a great game, containing over 10,000 lisenced players from about 16 leagues worldwide, but it loses the intimacy of the game. Winning XI feels more like football, plain and simple. In terms of gameplay they're equal now, and in terms of polish, FIFA wins, but now, the overall choice is a matter of taste. My recommendation: wait for WE7. It's worth it.

8. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. rauld10

rauld10 Member

Dec 7, 2000
    Sarasota, FL
    Or you could just order Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (PC) from the U.K. like I did. I'll get it November 21. My new computer that I recieved for an early X-mas present will barely run it (PIII, 512 RAM, DVD player, 32 MB Video Card). The game recommends 64 MB VRAM just like the PC version of FIFA 2004.
    Wish me luck in getting the game to work with sound and detail maxed out.

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the previous FIFAs were realistic, but 04 brings it to another level. The trappin is amazing and its nice you can score some goals outside of the 18 yard box. Set pieces improved dramatically. Also, the Off The Ball option is so awesome. I've scored so many goals because my forwards would run across the goal and get open. W.E. doesnt have this, at least I didn't hear anything about a feature like it. FIFA hands down, it just gets better every year.

11. cwhein

cwhein New Member

Oct 31, 2002
    USA
    Check out the soccergaming forums for info on both games.

http://www.soccergaming.tv/

Personally, I like FIFA 2004 but I will probably get the PES3 too.

2 things I don't like about FIFA is that scoring from beyond the 18 yard line is too easy - if you're open you'll score over 50% of the time - and it's nearly impossible to dribble past a defender in any situation.

12. OPArsenal

OPArsenal New Member

Dec 17, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the Off the Ball option is great stuff. At first, it feels like you're splitting your brain in two, but with practice, it becomes second nature.

13. Ellison

Ellison Member

Jan 11, 2000
    New Jersey
    FIFA will never be better than Winning Eleven/Pro Evo. never ... ever.

FIFA 2004 is the best FIFA game but it still doesn' t play as smooth and as accurate as a game of Winning Eleven does.

FIFA is more polished, it's graphics, licenses, more leagues, bells and whistles basically. If this is more important to you in a game, then yes, get FIFA.

If you want a true representation of the game, then get Winning Eleven. It's pure gameplay. All of my friends that are into and know soccer, prefer WE hands down. My relatives and friends that know nothing about the game, prefer to play FIFA.

For me, Winning Eleven is far better than FIFA. It's not even close. But it comes down to what you want out of a game, licenses and graphics, or gameplay?

14. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    FIFA SUCKS BALLS

Originally posted by JMMUSA8

I thought the previous FIFAs were realistic,

I dont think doing three consecutive 360 spins while some w@nker defender does continuous slide tackles from behind, allways catching up and finally knocking you inside the penalty box and not getting a call is realistic. I wont even mention the Super goalies or lightning quick sprints...

15. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you playing the same series that I have? Cause I'm sick and tired of players running in straight lines. Scoring may be harder, but there is no way its more smooth and accurate as FIFA.

16. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    yeh, i would have to agree. i think that the ideas the programmers of WE have are good, but it's probably the lack of funding compared to EA that makes it just seem too bland to play. the idea is there, just not the follow through for me. plus, fifa is a game i can play with friends while drunk. not that it is dumbed down or anything, just easier to control. we invented a game called Shot FIFA. every time you're scored on, take a shot. it's great too, because it puts the scorer at an advantage because the taste of the shot is very unnerving and that person has their back to the wall for about 30 seconds or so after the shot. almost makes it a little more realistic giving the scorer momentum and such. ahh, the games enjoyed by bored college students

17. Grateful Gooner

Grateful Gooner New Member

May 3, 2001
    Charm City
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just won the domestic treble in 3 days on FIFA 2004, and it said I qualified for Europe. Then Medal Of Honor Rising Sun came out, and I've been playing that for the past two days. I'll take a look at the fixture list for season two to see if there really is a Champions League.

18. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like you are playing we6
    watch and learn
    we6<we6:fe<we7
    we6 x 10 0 we6:fe
    we6:fe x 10 = we7
    we7 + internet patches = god

19. jwaldman11

jwaldman11 New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    The OC
    Ahh, that takes me back. It reminds me of the night that I drank a fifth of Absolut Mandrin, then proceeded to whip my friend in NCAA Football 2004 when I couldn't even see five feet in front of me. Actually, that just happened like three months ago, but it was still epic.

Thanks to all of you guys for your opinions of the games. It's definitely made it a tough call for me. This is what I've gathered about the two games so far. Feel free to correct me if I've missed anything and keep in mind that I know more about FIFA:

FIFA 2004:
    Pros: Officially licensed with real clubs, players, and stadiums; more realistic than previous FIFA games; "franchise mode"; great graphics; out now; Henry on cover!
    Cons: Still has arcade feel; too easy to score from long range; tough to avoid tackles; announcers are idiots; Henry not solo on cover!

Winning Eleven 7:
    Pros: Ultra realistic; excellent control; can download and customize and add on.
    Cons: Slower feel; not licensed.

At this point, I'm leaning towards getting FIFA for Xmas and then giving WE7 (or whatever it will be called here) a shot when it comes out. One other question: is WE7 coming out on Xbox?

20. CDNGooner

CDNGooner New Member

I laughed out loud at this quote . . . heh heh. Waldman, I look forward to meet you on the Arsenal Roadtrip.

Wylie