FIFA 2003 Player of the Year

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by DCUPopeAndLillyFan, Oct 12, 2003.

1. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Now that the World Cup is over we can debate this in earnest. Of course, we all know Mia Hamm will get the award whether deserved or not - but who SHOULD get it?

My pick is Maren Meinert - WUSA MVP, led her team to the WUSA regular-season title, then comes back in storybook fashion to lead Germany to a World Cup. So, of course she'll finish third behind Mia Hamm and Sun Wen :rolleyes:

Had Sweden won I would have picked Ljungberg (European Champion with Umea IK) and considered Svensson as well. Had the US won I would have considered Hamm and Wambach.

Anyone else?

2. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think you throw the names of hamm, meinert, prinz and ljungberg in a hat and just pick one

3. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    Aside from her fabulous statistic, MIA HAMM is still the most complete woman player on the planet, she performed unbelievable well during this WC, she did not score bunch of goals but, she motivated and energized the team, she (along w/ Lilly) is the engine of the team, I'm not surprise if she gets the award. Birgitt Prinz, Ljungberg, Meinert could be the future award's winner if they play consistently just like Mia Hamm has been.

4. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Won't be a US player.

Meinert would be a good choice for reasons given. So would Prinz.

FIFA was very impressed with Hooper. Unselfishly played a new position (for her) and led an injury plagued 12'th ranked team to a win over China and an overall 4'th place finish. 2 biggest upsets of the WWC. Also made the WWC All Star team in a position she never played before. Hard to top that for value. :)

5. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Maren Meinert

Along with everything you mentioned, Maren also scored two goals for the World All-Stars in their 3-2 victory over the U.S. All-Stars and was named the MVP of that exhibition match. IMO Meinert SHOULD get the award this year, but Hamm, Ljungberg, and Prinz also deserve strong consideration as well.

6. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Hamm had a good tournament, but I don't agree that "she performed unbelievably well during this WC." I thought this award was supposed to be for the world's best player during a single year, but instead it has unfortunately proven to be a popularity contest. :rolleyes:

IMO Birgit Prinz deserved the FIFA World Player of the Year award last year when she won five trophies with her clubs FFC. Frankfurt and the Carolina Courage. Since Maren Meinert apparently played her final match on Sunday, this year will be Maren's final chance to win this award and I sincerely hope she does.

7. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I thought that Prinz deserved FIFA player of the year last year as well. I gave her crap from the stands as a Beat fan but I respect her talent. Now of course "The Whinerschnitzel" is a world champion.

8. tiej

tiej New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Winston Salem, NC
    I put my money on Birgit (beer gut) Prinz for World Player of the Year!

Second will be Victoria Svensson

Third: Maren Meinert

9. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    why why why ?

Could FIFA player of the yr be a defender, goalie ? they have chosen mostly strikers, Why ??

10. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Re: why why why ?

Human nature.

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Re: why why why ?

In 2001 defender Gro Espeseth and goalkeeper Bente Nordby received votes for FIFA player of the year so it is possible for FIFA coaches to vote for defenders and goalkeepers, but it is unlikely that they will finish first in the voting. A better question to ask is why did Mia Hamm win the World Player of the Year in 2001 when Tiffeny Milbrett was the league MVP? :confused:

12. sexysadie

sexysadie Red Card

Sep 29, 2003
    somewhere on earth
    Re: Re: why why why ?

there were two huge points to why she gained points slighty better than SUn Wen, she came out of injury helped her club to reach the final and scored a golden goal against Canada to win the Gold Cup.

13. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: why why why ?

That was 2002, not 2001. Milbrett or Prinz should have won in 2001, Mia did nothing of note that year.

14. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    That's true. This year, I would have to say that all-around(club and country) the 4 best players have been Hamm, Ljungberg, Svensson and Meinert. I would pick Meinert because she is retiring from international play. Hamm will be retiring soon but not before another major competitioin and she already won before.

15. ankhman

ankhman Member

May 14, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Face it this is a publicity driven award. A panel of sport news officials vote on these players; some activitely follow the happenings in women soccer worldwide and some do not.

Voting of FIFA 2001 Women of the Year
    #1: Mia Hamm (the best active player in the world as stated by many of world's sports news media)
    #2: Sun Wen (the best player from WWC 1999 as stated in FIFA sport news media)
    #3: Tiffeny Milbrett (the best player in the WUSA 2001 as stated by USA sports new media)

Voting of FIFA 2002 Women of the Year
    #1: Mia Hamm (the best active player in the world for 2002, no argument on this point)
    #2: Birgit Prinz (the best player in the WUSA 2002 as stated by USA sports news media)
    #3: Sun Wen (the best player from WWC 1999 as stated from sport writers either who only FIFA 1999 WWC news releases or who thought she got a cheated out on the previous year's award)
    #4: Christine Sinclair (the best player from FIFA U-19 Women's World 2002 Championships as stated from FIFA sport news media; the best teanager women soccer player in the world for 2002)

My pick I think FIFA 2003 Woman of the Year will be Birgit Prinz. The USA sport news knows her as the WUSA 2002 player of the year and the World's sport media will read that she is FIFA WWC 2003 Goldern Ball winner. Sorry Maren Meinert, you retired after 2001 and I did not know she played for Germany in UEFA's WWC qualifying phrase, but I know Prinz did. First runners-up I believe will be Mia Hamm; USA sports media will vote even though she was not the best player at the WWC; however, she was the best player on USNWT for this WWC. Second and third runner-ups will be Hanna Ljungberg and Victoria Svensson repectively; Svensson had a better world cup but Ljungberg's consistant high quality play over the entire year with her club and national teams and that little press release the the Italian men's team wanted sign her really help her publicity rating. Honorable mention, I will vote for Kara Lang for the best teanager women soccer player in the world for 2003.

16. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Sadly, you're right. But Prinz didn't do too much with the Courage this year. And while Meinert didn't play with Germany in qualification, she had a great World Cup and season with her club. Hanna didn't play as well as Victoria in the World Cup but she was great in qualification and with club. You're right about Kara though.

17. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's too bad FIFA can't pass a rule that takes away the voting privileges of any nation whose coach voted the year before for someone who was retired or injured... I'm afraid that a lot of votes will go for someone who doesn't deserve to be in the top 25, much less the top 3...

That said, I'd probably pick Meinert, Ljungberg, and Svensson...

18. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    World Player of the Year Voting

I thought it was the National Team coaches who voted for the FIFA World Player of the Year Award. :confused:

Does anyone know when the three finalists for this year's award will be announced?

19. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: World Player of the Year Voting

Yes, it is national team coaches that vote for the 'honor'.

I assume the votes will all be submitted by the end of this month. The three 'finalists' are simply the top three vote-getters.

20. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Re: World Player of the Year Voting

http://fifa.com/en/display/mrel,72615.html

Accorfing to FIFA, voting has been underway for three weeks and will be closed on Nov 25 (in a fortnight's time), at which time the top three will be announced.

21. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Could someone other than Hamm actually win??

Thanks for posting this link.
    I think it is a safe bet that Mia Hamm will again finish as one of the top three after all of the votes have been counted. However, with Germany's World Cup victory fresh on the minds of many of the national team coaches, perhaps either Birgit Prinz or Maren Meinert will actually have a chance to finish on top this year.

22. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
  23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    The whole international women's soccer community should blush in embarrassment if Hamm wins again. Unfortunately 80% of the coaches able to vote come from Farawayistan where women's soccer doesn't exist so they will just vote for the one player they voted for last year.

24. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Mia Hamm over Maren Meinert in 2003? No way in hell.

25. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus New Member

Feb 24, 2003
    Shady Thicketts