Fenerbahce v United - CL - 12/8 [R]

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Achtung, Dec 6, 2004.

1. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sorry to keep it off subject, but i believe they are also without gilberto and edu.
    that means cesc and flamini i believe. cesc i dont think is good enough for this level yet and flamini...well i dont know anything about him really.

also lehmann was benched last match, will he today?

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SAF:

Teaching the younger first teamer's how to lead and play under dificult circumstances... sounds good.

3. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Why not Rooney then? He's a young un too...

4. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you'd have to ask Ferguson, wouldn't you? :)

5. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Maybe he's being mindful of Rooney's last trip to Turkey... ;)

6. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Arsenal are playing Rosenburg. Not to piss of their fans, but its not like they are AC Milan or Lyon even. I'd love to see them knocked out, I'll seriously have to go have a shot of Johnnie Walker and go to the ARse forum:)

Liverpool are on the fringe club too.

So back to fener...I want to stress that we have a chance to get our youngsters some time. What has Richardson left to do to get some time? When i see him play he is something to watch. He deserves time.

7. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Speaking of using the squad, I am surprised that Maurinho is playing Terry, Lampard and Duff at Porto after already having won the group. It would be....ironic if one of these important Chelsea players picks up an injury today in a game where nothing is at stake.

8. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    I tell ya, that Whinger is a piece of work. In a game that should be a 99.99% sure victory, he has 7-8 first-team starters playing. Oh wait - I know why! It's because Arsenal has so much depth at each position!

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He couldn't really mess about. With their problems in Europe, he had to try and ensure victory, even playing at home against an injury depleted small Swiss club...

I bet they're singing:

Can we play you every week?

at Highbury.

10. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I know that if we were in the same situation, I wouldn't want SAF screwing around with the lineups--you have to treat this like a cup final, even if its not a huge club. We still fielded a first-team against Millwall last year, for example.

Minor correction: Rosenborg are Norwegian.

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Norway is just a small town in Switzerland.... :cool:

12. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was in Switzerland last week--I should have visited! :D

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Supposedly UEFA warned us about playing a shadow squad (not that it stopped Barca :rolleyes: ) but I was thinking the same thing.
    Fortunately, no one seemed to have gotten hurt, even if we did lose the meaningless game. Now, of course, the Arse fans will be delirious with joy over pounding a team that is historically appalling on the road while we lost a meaningless game. We have 'em just where we want them. :)

14. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Sure, the quote sounds good but its a load of bull. The reason Fletch and Ronaldo are going may partly be what he said, but one has to reason that with our new formation or atleast selection tendencies we've been able to rest Ronaldo a bit and Fletcher hasn't started every match either. So all in all its just that these are two fit players who need some time on the pitch. Rooney on the other hand has played in most of our matches and is an essential part of the team already, more so than Ronaldo at this point, but perhaps in need of a rest so he sits. The timing of the statement is peculiar though, in the wake of the rumours of Keane being mean to both of them it won't go unnoticed by many.

15. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    Ebanks-Blake is a pacy striker who made his debut for United in the Carling Cup against Crewe Alexandra. He is highly thought of by SAF. And I believe he is our leading scorer in the reserves this season.

He is in the provisional squad to face Fenerbahce. I doubt he will make the bench.

16. BillyManutd

BillyManutd New Member

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC
    I'd like the starting XI to be:
    -------------Howard-------------
    P.Neville---Brown--O'Shea---Fortune
    ----Fletcher---Djemba---Miller-----
    Ronaldo------------------Richardson
    --------------Bellion---------------

17. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I miss Ole.

18. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    indeed... he would win this one for us would he not?

19. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Sylvan Blake is fast and strong.

20. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Roy Keane needs a valium. I respect how he hates to lose...but the guys needs a class in subtelty.

21. triplelake

triplelake New Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    At this point, I think it is advantageous for to top the group because this would at least give us have the chance to face PSV or Porto, which are arguably the weakest teams among the possible last 16.
    If we finish second, the weakest team we could hope for are Bayer Leverkusen or Olympiakos. But we seem to have not done so well against German teams in recent years (except 1999 of course :)).
    Also, I'd rather play Barcelone than AC milan since we've had trouble playing against well organised defense this season.

22. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I'm just glad we have done so well this year in Europe so that we have the opportunity to give young players the chance to see Champions League football. I always want us to win but if we don't it's not that big a deal. We play who we play, look at who we played in 99. The big games are the best games.

23. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Match underway:
    1 Howard
    3 Phil Neville
    6 Brown
    7 Ronaldo
    12 Bellion
    17 Miller
    19 Djemba-Djemba
    22 O'Shea
    23 Richardson
    24 Fletcher
    25 Fortune

24. 50 Euro

50 Euro Member

Jul 29, 2003
    Washington, DC
    7' Essien puts Lyon up 1-0, putting them at the top of the group, momentarily.

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like Howard is already being tested:

6' Tuncay Sanli (Fenerbahçe) has an effort on goal. The highly-rated Turkish playmaker has the game's first notable effort, stinging Howard's hands from 25 metres.

3' Ümit Özat nips down the left and hits a cross towards Márcio Nobre with the outside of his right foot, but Tim Howard cuts it out confidently.