Felipe Caicedo

Discussion in 'Ecuador - Players Abroad' started by ecuafutbolfreak, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Re: Felipe Caicedo - Official Thread

I'm sure it's a mistake to respond to this, but oh well....

When you place values on something - a soccer player, a stock, a shoe, toilet paper - you use comparisons. This is not rocket science. If Mexicans start producing players that establish a reputation in Europe, such as the top Argentinian and Brazilian teams, then their players' prices go up. If Rodallega fails miserably or succeeds wildly, then it certainly creates a benchmark for how Benitez should perform, since they played in the same league and the same position for the past few years.

And as far as adaptation - I thought you were the one saying that adaptation is not a factor!! Alas, let me quote:

So according to this logic, then adaptation should be no issue, and Rodallega's success should be a precise predictor of how Benitez would perform.

I know you like to think that Mexicans are plain bad and greedy people, but the reality is that the guys who own those clubs are businessmen who care about $$$ and could care less if Benitez is scoring goals or if they can get some other cheap Ecuadorian player to score just as many. For them, Benitez means championships, sponshorships, and playing in important tournaments like Libertadores which will make lots of TV money. And Mexico is a HUGE TV market. So therefore a star player in Mexico should be priced high and for good reason.

2. Spencer

Spencer Member

Mar 11, 2002
    Quito
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Jajajajajajajaja!!!:D

3. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

mexico can't field 11 mexican born footballers for their national team, now they will start producing footballer for Europe? comparison? sorry but you can't compare Microsoft to Linux. Or Nike to Puma or AIG to Pacific life or Charmin to marcal. This is no rocket science. the value of one in no way, shape or form, Reflect on how the others will do. Maybe you should compare Benitez to the other two ecua forward that were way better than benitez and went to the EPL in their Prime and failed miserably.

Is not a factor to someone who WANTS to suceed. There a big difference. its WAS a FACT that Argentine, Braz, URU footballers did not perform well in the EPL. Why? Because most Argentine, Brazilians and even uruguayan perfer to play in Italy, Spain, france or any place where people drive on the right side of the road and have some sun, good food and good women. Do you want me to start naming all the Argentines in the EPL these days? Cultural adaptation is myth. It comes down to if YOU WANT to suceed..

I'm not even going to answer this..

If what you say is true than why in the hell should Benitez leave? let him stay in the mexican league. Mexican clubs don't sell their stars cheap or for a reasonable profit but way overpriced. F.v.ck, how old are you? Do you have any idea how many times European clubs ( Real Madrid, inter and A.C Milan) wanted alex Aguniaga and the mexican owner didn't want to let him go at any price? do you? do you think Mex-America will ever sell Cabanas? why in the hell do you think they let Hugo Rodallega go? Because someone was stupid enough to pay the asking price. Look at rodallega stats and tell me if you would want him in your team..and someone mention he hit the crossbar against Liverpool? maybe if he was playing horse shoes he would be king..

4. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  5. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

That's just the craziest thing I've ever heard. How the heck else are you supposed to buy football players?? By throwing darts at a dartboard??

Are you talking about a nearly crippled Tin Delgado??? Or the mental case Kaviedes?? These guys failed for reasons other than their talent.

Aguinaga unfortunately played at a time when two factors reduced his chances of ever going to Europe - 1) Mexican league exported very few, if any, players, and 2) Ecuador had no players in Europe, and hadn't played in a World Cup. Therefore, since there were no reasonable comparisons, the European teams you mentioned were probably at one time interested in Aguinaga but weren't willing to pay an astronomical fee. At the end of the day, Aguinaga brought 3 championships to Necaxa and surely made that team more money than any Euro team was willing to spend. It was a business decision to keep Aguinaga on that team.

6. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006

Because,... they asked for the right price, which was arround 7.5 million dollars, not cheap, not expensive, the right price, do you know what is that? sorry to make you think,

Bye.

7. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Craziest? you are the one that's saying if hugo rodallega suceeds or fails, it will determine or measure how well christian benitez will can do. That's the most riduculous thing i've ever heard.

now their cripple and mental cases? either way they failed and are the two most prolific goal scorers in ecuadorian history.

what in god's name are you talking about? necaxa beat Fabio Capello at signing him from Dep Quito. and capello still insisted for years.. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm absolutely right that Necaxa paid something like 10x times less than what Milan was willing to pay. I think it was over 3 Million dollars milan was offering but nexaca beat them to the punch and Pressured Dep Quito into a now or never..Someone go find out how much nexaca paid for AG. where was the comparison when Kaviedes went to Italy? or ULDC went to Europe? or when la Pantera benitez and even Holger Quinonez went to Europe? at the end of the day, Aguinaga wasted his career in mexico and could have so much more in A.C Milan with ruud gullit and company.and opened so many doors for ecua footballers in europe. and beside opening doors to the Mexican league. italo estupinan did that. Let me stop educating you.

8. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

Just found it...

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Álex_Aguinaga

En 1984 ingresó a las divisiones menores del Deportivo Quito. Ese mismo año el técnico de ese entonces, Carlos Sevilla, lo hizo debutar con 16 años de edad. Al año siguiente fue convocado por la Selección juvenil de su país para disputar el Campeonato Sudamericano Sub-17 en Argentina. En 1989 disputó la Copa América en Brasil y fue la revelación del torneo. Tanto fue, que Fabio Capello, asistente técnico de este entonces del AC Milan, llegó a Brasil con la intención de llevárselo al Calcio. Capello se acercó a Dussan Draskovic, quien era el DT de la selección ecuatoriana, pero fue en vano ya que Álex ya había sido vendido al Necaxa mexicano. Entonces Capello se fue desilusionado afirmando que "es una pena que el mejor jugador de Ecuador se haya ido a México, ya que el Milan estada dispuesto a pagar hasta tres millones de dólares por él".

You were saying MANOLO?

you have no idea what you are talking about!!!

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I will have to disagree. The two players, other than playing in the same league have nothing to do with how the other will perform in another league, nor what their value should be.

10. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

If 3 million is all Milan wanted to pay for him, then Necaxa was smart to keep him. Not sure what your point is. As I was saying, it made good business sense to keep him. Sure wasn't his looks that kept him there!!

Everything I have said is facts and assumptions supported by reasonable evidence. I don't claim to be correct all of the time. Every statement in what you quoted from my post above is factual.

11. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

OK then how exactly are footballers valued??? I'm interested in learning. ;)

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I would venture into saying by their own merit and performance...???

13. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

My point? below is what you said. is this factual?? I just prove everything you said as false! anyone find out how much nexaca played Dep Quito? I think it was between 300 - 500 thousand bucks.

Do you have any idea what 3 million dollars was back in the late 80's? 20 years ago? that's roughly equivalent to paying 10-15 million dollars in todays market. its 2008 and you barely get anyone to pay 3 million dollars for a ecuadorian footballer coming out of Ecuador..kaviedes got 5 million in 1999.

Footballers are valued on how much a club is willing to pay. Plain and simple. If Man City wants to pay 100 million for KAKA and milan accept. he's worth 100 Million.

14. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I would not agree with that either...Chelsea paid £13.5 million for Florent Malouda. He is most certainly not worth that much!!!!

Why? because his performance absolutly sucks!!!

15. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

in malouda's defense he never won favor with the coaches and was usually relegated to the bench....he's got the starting nod a few more times but still hasn't been a breakout like in Lyon...he is well worth the money though if a team actually uses him

16. Quilotoa

Quilotoa Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Brasilia, Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Now I have to agree with Argentine futbol on this part. Look, if you think about it as a commodity (although people are more than that, the price of a footballer can be seen as such) if someone desperately wants to buy a ticket to, let's say a U2 concert, then the price of the last ticket most certainly could be argued as worth less than $200. However, when someone wants to pay a larger price due to the demand then the price is determined at $200. Of course, this becomes more complicated with player attitudes and club oversight, but the premise remains the same. If a club wants to buy Christian Benitez they will pay the market price. No club will pay significantly more than the next. The comparison is made only by the cheapest a team can possibly purchase the player at. Now, this price can change rapidly with player performance which makes a price difficult to estimate the price of a lower profile player. (he hasn't been tested in a tough league, injury probs., etc.) At least that is my quick summary

17. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Oh c'mon, man...he has had many opportunities last season and this season too. He simply is not a good player. Maybe in the French Ligue but he is the king of dispossesion at Chelsea right up there with Deco - another bust!!!

I personally think Chelsea use him more than they should. "Get rid of him", I say...

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Agree, something else that drives up a player's price is when two clubs engage in a bidding war. I would not agree that this is a proper representation of a players value as much as it was for the desire for teams with money to either;
    1. Capture the player they want because they can afford to over-spend
    2. Make the other team more than they need to for a certain player (Bayern did this to Dortmund with Rosicky and Kehl).
    3. Simply capture a player they do not want another team to have.

19. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

He was worth 13.5 at that time. regardless of what he does or doesn't do now. he could easily be worth 30 million the other way around. anyway back to the topic: manchester city is not intertested in loaning felipe out but wants to sell him outright.

20. colombo

colombo Member

Jul 25, 2006

Sure...

This sentence reminds me of a lot of "smart" investors in this real state crisis..............:D!!

21. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Fine, we will simply agree to disagree...

22. EyesOnBall

EyesOnBall Member

Jun 14, 2004

Manchester City have rejected Fulham's bid to take Ecuadorean striker Felipe Caicedo on loan (Sky Sports News - 1920 GMT)

I hope this is not true...I would have liked to see him play.

23. GW Emperor

GW Emperor New Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

No player to existent in the history of Football is worth 100 million currency, or deserves to be payed wages in the region of 500,000 per week. Football players are individuals who play sport once or twice per week for goodness sake, and anybody who says that their is such a player worth the sums of money, such as those that I mentioned, must be a total head case.

Regarding Caicedo, it does appear true that Manchester City turned down a loan move for Caicedo to exit in favour of Fulham. Sky Sports News brought the story to us yesterday. Apparently Fulham are now considering if they should or shouldnt buy the player instead, this if they cannot get the loan deal they supposedly originally wanted.

24. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

wages are going in an upward direction. with more lucrative tv deals, foreign sponsorships, foreign ownership and a higher demand for tickets by locals and others, its only natural that revenues will increase and thus players wages will increase as well. think about it for a second, old trafford has a capacity for like 75,000 people and Man United is worth over 1 billion dollars...the miami dolphins were just sold off for like 1 billion dollars....the chicago cubs are worth a little bit less than 1 billion dollars...with soccer being the world's most popular sport it's only a matter of time that some players will begin to earn A-Rod wages.

As for Caicedo, Man City made it clear that they wanted to unload him by selling him

25. Argentine Futbol

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina