Feilhaber

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by SamsArmySam, Jul 7, 2012.

1. jimmy2823

jimmy2823 Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i see benny create many opportunities for the revolution but the forward is not able to finish them.

2. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Well the Revs just got themselves a new forward from Honduras in Jerry Bengtson, and he finished in his first game. We shall see.

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny is going to be needed. I fear klinsmann will be to heavy on youth and the the lack of experience could really hurt us

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    If anything, Klinsi's been leaning too heavily on the Over 30 Brigade.

soccerusa517 repped this.
  5. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like a player who offers a skilled, offensive spark available off the bench. Could be Feilhaber, or Adu. A change-of-pace player. Not just a bench full of more of the same types as the starters.

But I'm not too concerned that JK will lack experienced players. If anything, he's currently leaning on the vets more than I expected. For example, in his most important match as US head coach, the game at Guatemala, this was his XI and bench:

Lineups:
    USA: 1-Tim Howard; 6-Steve Cherundolo, 21-Clarence Goodson (20-Geoff Cameron, 46), 3-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 23-Fabian Johnson; 7-Maurice Edu, 4-Michael Bradley, 13-Jermaine Jones; 10-Landon Donovan (14-Kyle Beckerman, 90+3), 8-Clint Dempsey, 9-Herculez Gomez (17-Jozy Altidore, 64)
    Subs not used: 2-Michael Parkhurst, 5-Oguchi Onyewu, 11-Joe Corona, 12-Brad Guzan, 16-Jose Torres, 19-Chris Wondolowski
    Head Coach: Jurgen Klinsmann

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...temala-in-2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Qualifying.aspx

That's 8 starters who will be 30 years of age or older in 2014. 4 subs also 30 or older in 2014. The only players younger than 24 were Altidore and Corona, but Altidore has been a core Nat for several years already. In JK's biggest match to date, he went with the vets and ignored the youth.

sXeWesley, SPA2TACU5 and deuteronomy repped this.
  6. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, the other concern was the the youthful bench was not going to offer much. Benny, with all the luggage, offers our pool something different, and we need it.

Dr.Phil repped this.
  7. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI, but I thought comparing with basically the same game in the same WC Qualifier Round 4 years prior, at Guatemala in August of 2008 would be of interest:

Lineups:
    USA: 1-Tim Howard; 15-Heath Pearce, 5-Oguchi Onyewu, 3-Carlos Bocanegra, 6-Steve Cherundolo; 10-Landon Donovan, 12-Michael Bradley, 4-Pablo Mastroeni (13-Maurice Edu, 78), 7-Eddie Lewis (17-DaMarcus Beasley, 65); 11-Brian Ching, 8-Clint Dempsey (2-Frankie Hejduk, 65)
    Subs Not Used: 18-Brad Guzan, 9-Eddie Johnson, 14-Jay DeMerit, 16-Sacha Kljestan
    Head Coach: Bob Bradley
    http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-N...ic-World-Cup-Qualifying-Win-In-Guatemala.aspx

6 starters and 2 subs would be age 30 or older by the 2010 World Cup. Klinsi's squad had 50% more older players (8+4=12) than the comparable game last cycle (6+2=8). Or BB's squad had 33% fewer older players ;).

3 of those older starters (Mastro, Lewis, and Ching) and 1 of those older subs (Hejduk) would end up being dropped by the actual World Cup. If Klinsi keeps the same ratio of change this cycle seen during the prior cycle, then 4 of the current older starters and 2 of the current older subs will be dropped. My guess: Cherundolo, Goodson, Boca, and Gomez from the starters and Parkhust and Wondo from the bench.

Sorry for the off-topic diversion, but I thought it was mildy interesting, and still loosly connected to Feilhaber and his value as a veteran player. Benny will be 29 at the next WC, so a veteran arguably near the peak of his prime playing years, but not over 30. Realistically, I think he's battling Adu for a shot at one creative bench player's spot for 2014. And if JK's fitness mania holds, there may not be such a role on the team at all.

8. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    was disappointed when he went back to the MLS.He should be a regular on the USNT squad. Is he stuck in the MLS or can he get a transfer out?

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Back to MLS?

10. jfalstaff

jfalstaff Member

May 3, 2012
    when he want to MLS

11. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lest we forget:

Goalazzzo . . .

12. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I feel it's important to have a creative option, a player with some flair. I also think we need a winger with pace. It gives options and allows us to change things tactically instead of playing a DM at RM.

13. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems in the last 18 months or so Benny has had 1 callup (by JK) to the NT! Why did he fall off BB's NT radar after his role in WC2010?

15. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Might have been this, man . .

TheHoustonHoyaFan repped this.
  16. holly nichole music

May 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Benny is not even the best attacking mid on his team. Nguyen is.
    Benny is not getting called up anytime soon unless he becomes a coach selection all-star, and that is not happening this year. His ship sailed IMHO.

17. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I'd restate it by likening Benny to Xavi to Nguyen's Iniesta. They have a bit of a partnership and they're not really two like midfielders.

18. BimmerBenz95

BimmerBenz95 Member+

Feb 24, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I think he will only get called up for Camp Cupcakes and that's it.

19. NatsTeamFan

NatsTeamFan Member

May 9, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nguyen really is the prospect to watch on the Revs. Someone got blasted for this in another thread, but his game really does remind me of an American Modric. Obviously he isn't on Modric's level, but the similarities in their game are quit shocking. They have great touch, which they use to turn into space. Both have great touch on all of their passes, enabling them to split a defense from close or long range. And both also score a good bit from a very impressive shot. Nguyen is really one of my fav midfield prospects in MLS.

SPA2TACU5 and deuteronomy repped this.
  20. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    Bradley called him up for the Gold Cup, but Benny pulled out with an injury.

I believe he was also called up for the two friendlies prior to that, earlier in the year, but he didn't play due to a thigh strain.

21. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Yep. Feilhaber got all 4 major post WC-2010 callups by BB; in August 2010, October 2010, March 2011 and May 2011 before the injury.

It's just clear that Klinsmann prefers a different type of player.

deuteronomy repped this.
  22. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. Oct 2010 was the last time he played or made the bench for the NT before the January 2012 camp.

23. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Also, you're 100% right about the thigh strain preventing him from dressing against Argentina/Paraguay.

24. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    What's weird is that this didn't seem to be based on performance (maybe it was attitude?).

They both apparently impressed JK enough in camp to earn the start vs. Venezuela. But in that game, Benny was quite effective and Zusi was terrible. The average player rating for Feilhaber was 6.2, while Zusi was the LOWEST rated player on the pitch that night at 5.1. My recollection of my feelings at the time were I was frustrated at Benny being subbed off, as I thought he was one of the few guys creating anything. Zusi had a strange game - he got in nice spaces and had good vision, but his passing was off...and not by just a little, it was atrocious.

But JK's conclusion was Benny to the scrap heap, and Zusi for the "5 game tournament." :confused:

Dr.Phil, deuteronomy and SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  25. deuteronomy

deuteronomy Member+

Angkor Siem Reap FC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2008
    at the pitch
    Club:
    Siem Reap Angkor FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. The real attitude boys (wanted to use a different description) like Mathis and Danny Szetela don't usually last that long.

2. Feilhaber went through some real fire before coming to MLS. He hung in there in Europe pretty good. MLS was willing to pay more than the Danish clubs who still wanted him.

3. We have heard bits and pieces about his difficulties. If it was a major concern we would have heard more.

4. I pretty much agree that the recent 5 game tournament would have provided a great opportunity to check him out and see how much gas was left in his tank. Again, I was disappointed the final selections did not provide any depth or different wrinkles coming off the bench or even in a spot start.