FCC Won't Give Waiver To ABC Affiliates Showing "Saving Private Ryan"

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by TheSlipperyOne, Nov 10, 2004.

1. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    On Veteran's Day!

ABC affiliates in Des Moines, Sioux CIty and Lincoln, NE won't air "SPV" on Veteran's Day because they fear they will be fined by the FCC who won't give them an advance waiver. Even though they each showed the movie in 2001 and 2002 without a single complaint.

http://www.imdb.com/news/sb/#1

2. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter; just stick with commerical-free DVD. I can't even recall the last time I watched a movie with commercials.

3. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    I might call and complain if they show it.

But only if they don't edit out the stupid vignette at the beginning and end of the movie.

4. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To each one's own.

IMO it was a clever, artistic way to intro and close the action, linking the present with the past.

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe it's being shown commercial free the way Schindler's List has been shown.

6. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    What's so objectionable about the beginning and end?

7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe he is afraid of the roaring lion.
    :D

8. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Has the FCC ever given an advance waiver for the movie in the past?? If not, this is clearly a publicity stunt by the local stations. If so, and if they're refusing to this time, Michael Powell oughta be shot.

9. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    I think the movie was solid enough to stand on its own. It didn't need the, "In case you didn't realize, this is the part where you're supposed to cry" section. I think it detracted from the inerent power that the movie had. It's more powerful to let me draw my own connections than to force-feed mwe one.

It worked in Schindler's List, but that scene was effective because we don't know and can't know the victims of the holocaust. It helped us tie it to today, to ourselves. But we do--nearly every one of us--know, directly or indirectly, a WWII veteran (or at least a veteran of some conflict). We didn't need the scene, and I was a little insulted by it.

Similarly, I hated the tacked-on end of Natural Born Killers for telling me, "In case you didn't get the blatant commentary of this movie we're gonna force-feed it to you now." Fortunately, the rest of that movie sucked, too, so it didn't ruin anything for me.

And now that we're completely off topic... :)

10. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    I didn't mind the intro...and ending. I didn't mind the landing on the beaches.
    Scared the shyte out of me and I've been shot at.

I just hated the rest of the story line with the "shall we shoot the German POW? No we'll leave him alive so he can come back, shoot and bayonet the cowards, then we can shoot him..!!! Pap...

11. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The question is, will senator-elect Coburn of Oklahoma object to SPR, or are his objections strictly to Schindler's List?

12. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Do you read before you respond?

13. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earlier this year a rock star in the halftime show of a football game showed less flesh than you can see on an 1896 $5 bill or a 1917 quarter, and half the country acted as though the foundations of western civilization were threatened. I don't blame the TV stations for being gunshy and, frankly, if it is overdoing the self censorship to make the censors look bad, they've got it coming.

14. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    True that even the FCC has no idea what FCC's standards are.

But really, it's not like Spielberg is going to break out the extended director's cut which includes the previously deleted sex scene with Hanks, Sizemore and Pepper. And the FCC has always been more tolerant of wanton violence than on words and sex.

15. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Maybe they're not graning a waiver because the movie was a huge pile of ripe, runny shit. Sure, the opening scene was scary. So are rollercoasters. See the connection?

16. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I agree.

I totally blame EuroDisney for all this crap!

17. DJPoopypants

DJPoopypants New Member

this sounds to me like some station managers are trying to make a statement about the FCC. they know pretty much nobody would complain - the complainers always bitch about sex, not violence.

I think its kinda like a protest of sorts. The FCC threatens them if they broadcast swear words? Well fine, guess what, they'll show the teletubbies and secret garden reruns on veteran's day. Tinky Winking trading in his rifle for a purse.

Punish the people for the FCC's misplaced crusade. Hope the people realize how silly FCC regulations are. Hope for change.

There won't be any, but the broadcasters are making their point.

18. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    Saving private Ryan was a great movie. Some of it reminded me of "walk in the sun" for some reason another good war movie with another great cast.

Remember Richard Conte? He was good in that movie.

19. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I see that purveryor of smut Steven Spielberg has struck again.

20. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    It said they've run the movie in the past, it didn't say whether or not the FCC ever gave them a specific advance waiver to run it in the past. For all we know this is just a publicity stunt by the local networks seeking to capitalize on the FCC/Howard Stern/Janet Jackson controversies.

21. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just heard an ad on the radio, it seems ABC in Chicago will be airing it...unless they didn't pull the ads.

22. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    I'm sorry. I understand the wording now.

I would agree with you. No need for pre-emptive waivers.
    When I was growing up, cable/VHS rentals did not exist and movies were always shown on TV, edited for content.

23. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not here in Columbus, Ohio. It's Father of the Bride II. :rolleyes:

24. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well they're showing it here in the bustling metropolis of Binghamton. I thought they said limited commercial interruption, It's definitely not limited.

25. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    "Far and Away" here in Boston.