FCB "B" team and lower leagues structure[R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by DutchFootballRulez, Sep 5, 2003.

1. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I followed Barca, i just didn't get Copa Del Ray results. Too busy.

But there is no reason for Barca to lose to a 3rd division squad. La Liga has a 3rd division? I thought they had 2nd Div then 2nd Div B1 - B4?

2. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    2A (3rd division)
    3 (4th division)

3. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    I forgot Segunda B (2B) my bad

2A (3rd division)
    2B (4th division)
    3 (5th division)

4. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Segunda B is not divided into smaller parts? B1-B4

5. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    yeah
    Segunda B1= 11 teams
    Segunda B2= 11 teams
    Segunda B3= 11 teams
    Segunda B4= 11 teams

total 44 teams in 4th division, but all the same cathegory, just divided in regional groups I think.

6. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    you have too many divisions here,

Primera
    Segunda A
    Segunda B
    Tercera

Also in 2B there are 20 teams per group, not 11.

7. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    Yes they are in Group 3 and are currently in second place after 3 games played (Gimnástic is first).

8. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    ermmm

seguro?

9. Jeffrey S

Jeffrey S New Member

Jul 2, 2002
    Barcelona
    That is right.

2B

Four 2B divisions of 20 teams, divided regionally. The exact distribution is altered each year acc to who is promoted and who relegated. For example this year a lot of Andalusian teams (maybe 8) are in 2nd, but only one Catalan side, so this alters what happens below. Also have to decide where the Canary Island teams play, often get moved around, as the Federation subsidizes the entire group's flying costs (lately they go vs. Madrid and Castilian teams).

B teams can play as high as one division lower than the mother team. Only Malaga has their B team in 2nd this year. Madrid and Barça also have C teams as high as 3rd division.

The national federation controls third division sides. There are 17 divisions, also of 20 teams each. These correspond more or less to the Spanish autonomous communities (like US States or Can provinces, only teams from autonomous cities like Ceuta and Melilla in Africa! play vs. Andalusian teams), the regional soccer fed has some say in how they work but it is technically national and pro. The better 3rd division sides can get into the Copa del Rey, all the rest play the RFEF Cup, which is for all sides not in the King's Cup (like a kind of LD Vans, if you follow England).

After each region controls what happens. In Catalonia there is Primera Catalana, which is Catalan wide, also 20 teams. My local neighbourhood side Poble Sec is in this division, which would be 5th tier (we lost promotion to 3rd on the last day of the season, damn! Tidbit: the brother of Espanyol striker Tamudo played for us. Another: the club has over 500 members and gets up to 300 out for games). Other regions do it differently. You can see the layout quite well at www.futbolme.com, check out the regional links at the top. For all of Catalan football, down through Regional Preferente (two divisions), Primera Regional (six divisions), Segona Regional (a ton of division), see www.futbolcatalunya.com, even Tercera Regional (dozens of divisions).

Even at Primera Regional, technically quite local 7th tier (like playing in a Houston area or Western Massachussets league, to give odd examples), some players are paid. I know a competition auto engineer who plays for a team called Olesa de Montserrat and makes a few hundred a month, little complement to his normal salary.

10. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Jeffrey,

that was a gr8 explanation of the Spanish league structure.

DFR, I am not going to second guess Rijkaard at this point since he obviously sees something in Valdes that he likes, and is in training everyday with the team.

Recber will get his shot, and I think the competition is good for the team. no one is "assured" of a starting spot.

Like you, Mario and may others on this board, I saw Recber in JK 2002, and he was amazing. If it takes him a few months to get acclimated to the team, fine. He will eventually pay dividends.

11. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never noticed how I was credited w/ starting a thread I never started till I actually read it. I wonder, when Mods do some thread chopping and pasting, does it add to your post count? By accident of course..

12. krazbo

krazbo New Member

Sep 23, 2003
    Ljubljana, SI
    Bacelona B and youth academy, is there someone realy prospective player (like Gabri, Puyol, Xavi... that will come soon to first team so that Barca wouldnt have to buy players? What about this guy Trasshoras?

13. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    he stabbed us in the back, he moved to madrid

14. Mario

Mario New Member

Mar 11, 2000
    San Salvador, El Sal
    ok ok we released him and then he signed for rm

15. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which proves he was never truly Blaugrana.

16. Pichi

Pichi Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 17, 1999
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Yes he is wait until he re-signs with Barca and he'll say that he was a cule por vida. Same thing "El Cojo" (Alfonso) said when he left Betis and signed for Barca only to be loaned back to Betis because he got too many slivers up his arse riding the pine!

Too add what was discussed earlier, last year 4 teams from the Segunda B Grupo IV won their liguilla and were promoted to Segunda A, which speaks for itself regarding Andalucian futbol although one of the teams was from Murcia but was in the Andalucian group! This year the Canary Island teams were moved to this group instead of the Madrid group since it is now cheaper to fly to Andalucia then Madrid from the Canaries.

It should be noted that I believe it was 80 or 81 that Real Madrid played their B team which was called Castilla back then in the final of the Copa del Rey and Castilla went on to play in the Cup Winners Cup tourney because Madrid won the league.

With the Bosman rule and the EU passports the B teams have not fared well and as mentioned except for Malaga B most are either in Segunda B or Tercera.

Saludos y viva er beti manque lopera!

Pichi