FC Vaduz in UEFA Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    [​IMG]

First Qualifying Round

Vaduz starts with a solid 2:0 victory at home against Moldovan side FC Dacia Chisinau.

(Goals scored by Steve Gohouri and Gaspar)

2. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Nice result for Vaduz. I have only seen a Moldovan club once, and wasn't terrible impressed with their play. Vaduz is looking good to advance to the next round, but anything can happen on the road in Europe.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Vaduz. I would love to see them advance out of not only this round, but the next also.

4. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
  5. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FC Dacia Chisinau - FC Vaduz 1:0

Vaduz advances the second qualifying round.

6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congratulations Vaduz. What would Vaduz have to do to avoid the 1st qualfying round next season?

7. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    We get the coefficients that Vaduz collect, right?

8. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    No, Liechtenstein has their own coefficient which determines where their cup winner starts in the UEFA Cup.

They have a very long way to go before they will start anywhere else but the 1st qualifying round though.

9. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    No, the Liechtenstein FA has a separate European spot for themselves. Should Vaduz ever get promoted they will never be allowed to occupy a "Swiss" spot, even if they win the league (meaning no Champions League.)

One advantage for Liechtenstein is that since they only have one spot, their coefficient doesn't get averaged - meaning FC Vaduz (the strongest side by far) is the sole contributor to the LIE coefficient.

Right now LIE is ranked 38th

That is better than several countries who probably have more overall quality.

10. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Vaduz drew Besiktas Istanbul for the next round - easily the most difficult draw. It will take a small miracle to overcome Besiktas.

PS: It is strange that Vaduz is part of the Southern-Mediterranean draw.

11. Dave141

Dave141 Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Washington, NJ
    Besiktas is the highest-seeded team in this round of the UEFA Cup. That's about as unlucky a draw as one could get.

P.S. I noticed that, too. It seems strange.

12. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the disadvantages of being in the middle of Europe. You get stuck where ever they need an extra team. :p

13. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Very tough one. I follow Besiktas but also have a soft spot for Vaduz after my team played them a few years back. Oh well, I'll need to put fσяza Çaяşi to the background for this match and support the underdog.

Good luck Vaduz.

14. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Vaduz. I think this would take a major upset to advance out of the round.

15. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    I've forgot again..do we get their co-efficients?

17. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure who you mean by 'we', but Liechtenstein has their own coefficients. Vaduz is pretty much an island with no other Liechtensteiner team of note.

18. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Vaduz falls at home:

FT Vaduz [0 - 1] Besiktas
    12' [0 - 1] O. Buruk

19. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    I mean Switzerland, since they (Vaduz) play in our league system I think it's only fair we get their co-efficients, but you're saying we don't?

20. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm saying the Liechtenstein (FC Vaduz) results effect the Liechtenstein coefficient - not the Swiss coefficient.

21. SoccerFan8270

SoccerFan8270 New Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    The second leg will be played on August 25th in Istanbul...

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very gallant effort by Vaduz. I think the match in Istanbul will not be as close, but a great job. A few lucky bounces and this match could have been theirs.

23. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Read post number 9 again on this thread. ;)

24. necro

necro New Member

Aug 2, 2004
    USA
    BESIKTAS JK vs FC VADUZ

Congradulations to FC Vaduz for the great grit they showed against the mighty Istanbul giants Besiktas JK. Yes they lost 0-1 but Besiktas was there to score 5-6 goals and getting only one made them worry about what could happen in Inonu Stadium. Yes Besiktas was not in Vaduz %100. Striker Ailton and midfielders Tumer Metin and Klerberson were absent and without them Besiktas is not potent as they could be.

Kleberson will not play against Vaduz Fc due to signing of him happened quite late and did not make the UEFA's list for the Black Eagles but super striker and Previous year's Bundesliga leading scorer Ailton who scored in every match Besiktas played will be dressing up against the Vaduz. This is not good for the Leichestein champions because they will need to double mark him and when they do that Besiktas will go to goal with all so dangerous Romanian international striker Pancu, Tumer Metin and super midfielder Sergen Yalcin. Dont get me wrong these names are not the only few can score for the Black Eagles, all Besiktas players are very capable of scoring from anywhere anytime. And Colombian International Oscar Cordoba is solid in goal ( almost all the time ) Vaduz will not have a chance in the world to advance.

My advice is, consantrate on the defence and midfield and do not go for the goal until counterattack possibility is opens up. Go with long balls and when reached penalty area shoot !! Keep shooting and cause extreme chaos in front of Cordoba. Their defence will crumble with endless shots, forget the short passes shoot and attack with many players possible.

Dont forget John Carew is not Besiktas forward anymore Ailton is, so no long entress in penalty area. Defence is the key, play 11 men defence.

Besiktas JK squad VS Vaduz FC ( Probable):
    Cordoba(Colombia) Toraman , Koray , Gökhan , Adem Sergen Yalcin, Ahmed Hassan (Egypt) Okan Buruk , Ali Günes , Ailton ( Brazil) ,Youla (Guinea)

Veysel
    Pancu ( Romania)
    Tumer Metin
    Kleberson ( not in UEFA list )