FC Tucson to build new Stadium

Discussion in 'FC Tucson' started by Mikey mouse, Jan 23, 2013.

1. FCBarcelona

FCBarcelona New Member

Nov 10, 2008
  2. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Construction update. (If you can't view the photos, let me know.)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the 3 new training fields.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So are you guys going up to USL Pro or what?

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope. The stadium doesn't meet the USL Pro requirements (capacity wise). At the moment, FCT will only move up if the bond measure for the stadium expansion is put on the ballot in 2015 and it passes (it didn't make it on the ballot for 2014). That would increase the stadium capacity to 4,000 (from 2,000). So earliest I could see FCT moving up is 2017 or 2018.

7. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering the LA Blues only average 300 fans I've no doubt USL Pro would waive the stadium seating as long as you have a full house... Or at least surpass the LA Blues standard. ;)

8. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, and when you consider the stadium that PHX FC played in during the second half of the season, I'm sure we would be approved. Main issue with FCT not moving up is $$$$$$$$.

9. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Trumps everything.

10. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Its unfortunate, but when you can draw over 1k-2k+ a game with an amateur team, why would you want to move up? It costs about $65k to join PDL ($15k to join the underwhelming NPSL), with few travel expenses (vans), no player salaries, etc, where as it costs $250k-$500k to join the USL-Pro, player salaries, 11 east coast flights, three bus trips, etc. Unless the team knows attendance will magically jump up to 5k+, its not worth it for them. It makes business sense, and thats completely understandable from a fans perspective.
    I'll be touring the stadium again on Saturday with the Cactus Pricks, so I'll have a new picture update on Sunday.
    And the ribbon cutting ceremony has been set.
    [​IMG]

11. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #37 UnionFreak1, Oct 13, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    So went on the tour, again, yesterday.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458783017573123.1073741833.131887350262693&type=3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of the owners stated that the November 15th event is NOT the ribbon cutting ceremony. That ceremony will take place the week of November 29th. The November 15th event is a "Special Secret Announcement".
    Some predictions for the Special Secret Announcement, other than the announcement of the teams (both MLS and Liga MX) in the Desert Friendlies, DDC, and the dates for spring training.
    1. Teams from Europe will be spending the winter breaks in Tucson (Norwegian clubs, Danish clubs, etc.)
    2. Small Federations that have qualified for the WC will hold training camps in May in Tucson before departing for Brazil. (Ethiopia*, Egypt*, Iran, etc.)
    3. World Famous Youth Academies (Man U, Juventus, Club America, Southampton, etc.) will come to Tucson to play in a tourney.
    3. Something to do with ticket prices, season tickets, etc.... (Really hoping this plays a role)
    4. FCT announces its moving up to USL-Pro (although I find this highly unlikely due to the stadium size requirements, costs, etc.)

12. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Sam U El and @oneeyedfool , according to this article/interview/post, the stadium is 5,000 seats short from being a home for a USL-Pro franchise.
    http://soccer.si.com/2013/10/10/las-vegas-mobsters-premier-development-league/

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ribbon cutting ceremony has been moved up to Wednesday, October 30th.
    [​IMG]

14. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
  16. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's cute. I think they could build more if the interest grows. It's not like they put other stuff around it that would preclude expansion.

17. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The expansion plan (bond measure) is to build the exact same grandstand on the opposite side of the field. So the new grandstand is on the West side, the "expansion" stand would be built on the East side.