FC Troyes-Nantes 2/14: Quentin Westberg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by CaliManU, Feb 14, 2006.

1. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I just looked at the Match information on ESPN for the FC Troyes-Nantes match and saw that the Troyes 1st string keeper was red carded. However, Westberg was not entered into the game. Did they just play with a field player as keeper? What's the deal? Does anyone know?

2. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    When a keeper is carded, a field player, usually chosen by the opposing team I belive, is sent off and the keeper stays in. The keeper, however, is suspended for at least one game after the current one.

Sachin

3. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    He was on the bench, but the team had made all three subs. Nantes scored the equalizer minutes after the red.

Per L'Equipe.

4. 2-0 Baby

2-0 Baby New Member

Jun 9, 2004
    CO
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, he may get a start in their next game then?

5. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/match?id=194933&cc=5901

Actually, Nantes scored the go ahead goal after the red card. Then, a red on a Nantes' player and the equalizer by Troyes. I don't mean to be nitpicky. Hopefully, that means three games for Westberg, although they may use someone with more experience if they have one.

6. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I do hope your joking; because that isn't the rule at all.:confused:

7. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    What? Isn't that what happened in an EPL game involving Everton? I remember that happening WC'94 with Italy when Paliuca (sp?) handled the ball outside the box and Baggio got sent off in his place.

If I'm wrong, correct me.

Sachin

8. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
  9. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Oh.. I stand corrected! Thank you aueagle1, if that is indeed your real name. :)

10. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Tune in Saturday at 2:00 pm EST v. AS Nancy Lorraine.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Pagliuca was sent-off in that WC game. Then Baggio was taken out for Luca Marchegiani, who played in goal for the rest of the game and group quals, IIRC.

12. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if they did that before, they don't anyomore. And if you've used your 3 subs, it's a field player going into goal.

13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Fair enough. It sure as hell ain't in the FIFA Law Book.

There a couple of problems with such a rule:
    a) Allowing teams to substitute who gets sent off
    b) Letting your opponent choose your goalkeeper

This sounds like something out of a rec league.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Mod note: No personal attacks.

15. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
  16. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And in fact, Pagliuca did get tossed, and the keeper had to come on for Baggio (I forget who it was). Just that in this case Troyes had used all of it's subs so a field player had to play goal.

17. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    If you a moderator on this site with 16,000 posts, how can you not understand something like that? That's simply all I want to know. It's ridiculous.

(hopefully you mods won't have a problem with this post)

18. rebel77fl

rebel77fl Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Both GKs got red cards and each team had used three subs so they finished with field players in goal. Here is a match tracker (french). Westberg has been the on the bench for every match and started most reserve matches, I can't see another GK playing.

19. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I don't think it was a personal attack. If it was, it was pretty tame.

20. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

I'm the worst when it comes to details so I'm not sure why it's ridiculous. We mods don't get paid the big bucks to know all the little details. I don't think I have 16,000 posts though.

21. Celt_Quake

Celt_Quake Member

May 18, 2005
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is not a rule, maybe a high school rule or something, but not a FIFA rule.

Both keepers sent off in Nantes versus Troyes match

AFP
    February 14, 2006

PARIS (AFP) - Both keepers were sent off in the 1-1 draw between Nantes and Troyes leaving outfield players attending both goalmouths in an extraordinary French league match.

A lacklustre fixture suddenly became notable when Troyes's Ronan Le Crom and Nantes's Mickael Landreau were given their marching orders, and with both sides having used their substitutes, outfield players were called to duty between both sets of posts.

In a late flurry of action in the final quarter-hour, Claudiu Andrei Keseru scored for Nantes though Benjamin Nivet equalised.

And in the same time frame, Troyes keeper Le Crom was dismissed for a professional foul on Mamadou Diallo who had got past the defence and only had the keeper to beat.

It had been midfielder Enza Yamissi who deputised for Le Crom between the posts and it was him who let in the opening goal from a Keseru freekick.

Then Nantes captain Landreau was also sent in for an early shower after fouling Ziad Jaziri allowing Nivet to convert the equalising penalty past Nicolas Savinaud, normally a defender.

In the night's other rearranged French league fixture, Nice won 1-0 at St Etienne thanks to a first-half goal from striker David Bellion.

22. jcsd

jcsd Member+

Jan 27, 2006
    It used to be more common for teams to be forced to play outfield players in golas in the days before subsitutes and when charging the goalkeeper was still legal. Still it's not unknown these days, though not often. Some famous outfield players (Niall Quinn, Bobby Moore and Nat Lofthouse) have saved penalites whilst playing as makeshift goalkeepers.

In amputee soccer when the goalkeeper is sent off, both him and a nominated outfield player are replaced by the reserve goalkeeper.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Good opportunity for Quentin. Here's hoping he makes the most of it.

Any chance of TV for this game?

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I don't understand how you could not know something like that though........ As a soccer fan.......

If you've played the game at any level.....

I thought he was joking.

:confused:

25. Bubblegum

Bubblegum New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    Foot + in France.

Great opportunity for "Q" (as he's known) after 26 matches on the bench watching Ronan Le Crom play excellently between the posts to keepTroyes alive in Ligue 1.