FC Porto the new Superliga leader [R]

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  2. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    they don't deserve, but it's ok, they will win the championship anyway

3. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Finally the table looks correct. The only team yet to lose is on top. Benfica was fortunate to be on top for as long as they were.

4. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Looks like Diego and Baia will both be out for next week against Boavista. So despite the coaching changes and an ever growing line-up of injuries to important players, Porto is on top. Imagine if Porto was having a good season? :D

5. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    :eek: Porto have yet to lose a game, are in first place having beaten both Sporting and Benfica. I would say that's a pretty good season, especially considering they've lost many key players and Mourinho. Mind you in the CL they have been horrible. I think what you are saying is that despite being where they are, they have not really played that well.

6. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    Other teams have had alot of injuries to key players too.

7. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Especially Benfica

8. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Theya re having a so-so season. In Portugal they have been reasonably good but they haven't performed well in Europe at all.

9. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Porto does not have a team to compete in the CL this year, we all know that. I'm actually amazed that they are in first considering they haven't played that well. Had Sporting not gotten off to such a slow start, they could be the ones sitting in first place right now.

10. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Too early to tell, but Porto beat both of their rivals and that's the difference right now. I don't think they are goign to run away with it this year like last year and the year before

11. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    No, I don't know that.

How did you come to the brilliant conclusion that we can't "compete" in the CL? I know Benfica can't cos they were crushed 3-0 by a team that has yet to earn a point.

It is quite evident (to anyone who wants to see) that Porto is playing below it's full potential. The problem is not the "team". This team has players seating in the bench or injured, that would start for Benfica or Sporting. The problem is the coach and the time he's taking to get to know the players and where they perform better.

But your bias becomes even more blatant when you say:

well... **********, had Porto not tied 2 games at home against teams who would normally be put away rather easily, had Porto not tied a game that was already won.... what would be the point difference by now?

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    If and If and If, Beira-Mar could be in first :cool:

13. Briosa a frente

Briosa a frente New Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Winnipeg, (Coimbra)
    Two If and it would be Academica in first :rolleyes:
    Maube two and a half ;)

14. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    This isn't about "if"s. This is about some people's desperate attempts to reduce the real quality gap that exists between Porto's team and the rest of the pack.

The problem, of course, is that saying... "oh look how bad Porto is doing in the CL" doesn't really work when your team gets stumped by every mildly decent opponent it plays. :eek:

15. Benfica_fan

Benfica_fan Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Connecticut
    I don't think anyone took a shot a porto here, it was only said that porto this year hasn't done well in the CL, but they will definitly compete in the SuperLiga until the end. No reason to take the comment made as a shot and then fire back at Benfica.

16. biggyv

biggyv Member

May 18, 2000
    PGH PA
    The fact of the matter is, Porto leads by 1 point. They deserve to lead by one point.

There is still way too much soccer to be played to make assumptions about the remainder of the season.

17. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    Everytime someone says one little thing about Porto, you got to jump all over them with ridiculous comments and bash everyone's teams. We all know Porto has the best squad in the country, but the gap can't be considered that big when you only lead by one point, and it's the first week you've been on top.

What does all this mean you might ask? It means that having a better team on paper doesn't mean ********.

And by the way, to respond to the CL comments you said earlier: do you really believe you guys still have a chance? You'll be lucky if you get into the UEFA.

p.s. Don't bother responding if you're going to throw the fact that SLB couldn't get in the CL, I know my team's limits, you obviously don't know yours.

18. PAUL SILVA

PAUL SILVA New Member

Aug 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Take it easy, It wasn't mean as a Porto put-down. Who said I was a Benfica fan. Did i even bring them up?
    I just based my opinion on how they've played in the CL. Which has not been very good, you cannot deny that. Chances are they are going nowhere in the CL.
    The other point I was trying to make was that for an unbeaten team, they haven't played all that well, and now they're in first place. Which is actually a compliment towards Porto.
    Lastly, I may not be a Porto fanatic, but if there is one team that I favor it's them. I just try to be as unbiased as possible and see things for what they are, rather than for what I want, or hope or dream.

19. Portoholic

Portoholic New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ok guys, let's be nice to each other ok? ;)

Porto I think we can all agree is a team that went through major changes and a team that is coming off 2 great seasons. Us Porto fans are just happy that our team despite playing nowhere near to its potential, is still undefeated in the Liga.

We have stunk in the CL so far. That is completely true. But as we all know it's almost a completely different team and of course a new coach.

20. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    No matter what happens this year, if we aren´t playing in european competitions after christmas, this year is going to be considered a failure, for me isn´t enough winning the Superliga, the Portuguese super cup and the Intercontinental if we can...
    The group we have in the CL was easy to get trought, if we had won our 2 games at home we would be in second place, with everything in our favour, now only 2 victories will give us some chance of going to the last 16 or even Uefa.

21. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Putting their European form aside as well as their ouster of the Portuguese Cup, does Porto deservce to be in 1st place? I feel that they do. They soundly beat SCP, they went to Luz and got 3 points, they haven't lost a game all season...and they haven't been the superior side that they were last season, but that was to be expected. About the only negatives this SuperLiga season that I can think of was the tie at home against Estoril and the tie at Nacional. The fact remains that they are in 1st by one point, one measly point. The top 7 teams are only separated by 6 points, so the championship is wide open.

ferreirajl - I know that you are just as passionate about FCP like I am for SCP like Frank is for Beira Mar and so on in this board, but don't take things so seriously. I don't think anyone in the previous posts were bashing FCP but you took it upon yourself to start to bash others and their teams. Hey, I can remember a thread in which you told me not to be so defensive. Remember this:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3473249

Heed your own advice. Relax, it's only football...

22. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    I think we all need to relax. ;) There is no doubt that FCP has the best team in Portugal, but there's a lot of Futebol left to be played and the gap between the teams if minimal to say the least. Hell, SCP was left for dead by many people a few weeks ago but they're only 5 points back.

23. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Everybody "jumps in" when they feel they have to, like you did just there. Thats fine, thats how things work arround here.
    But If someone is going to make silly statements like "Porto can't compete in the CL" or "Im amazed that Porto is 1st" or even my favorite "If Sporting hadn't lost they would be first" ... then you bet Im going to "jump in" and point out some obvious facts.

Actually it seems to mean that even if you collectively play like crap you can still have enough individual talent to make it to number 1. But that's just my interpretation.

I don't know, and neither do you. Thats exaclty my point. We're still in there "competing". Yes it does not look good right now, but as long as we have a chance the best you can do is HOPE we fail.

No other fans thought one UEFA Cup and one CL in consecutive years were within our limits. But that didn't stop us from wining it. If you don't mind I will believe my team right to the end,

even if we're playing like crap.

24. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Why is everybody telling me to take it easy or relax!?

I AM RELAXED! God damn it!

25. NoNameBoys

NoNameBoys New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    A Catedral
    You get offended way too easily. If I was going to "jump in" every time you make some stupid comment about SLB, I'd have to stay here the whole day.

Thanks for the lesson. I will go to bed a little bit smarter tonight.

What I know is that you guys are last with two very difficult games ahead. I have no interest in how FCP does. Unlike you however, I don't feel the need to rub it in during bad times. It's funny for you to keep bringing out embarrassing SLB results, but you get all defensive when someone throws a dig at your FCP.

I assure you I do not mind. I wish FCP the best of luck in their remaining CL matches. <------------not being sarcastic.