FC PORTO in the Uefa Cup?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Portista69, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    As a Portista i shouldnt be saying this but i'm kinda glad that Porto might not make it thru the next stage of the Champions League. I figured that even if they were to go thru i just don't see this team going very far in the competition. In the other hand i think this team would automatically be considered one of the favorites for the Uefa cup. I know that most of the money is in the Champions League but fvck the money, i would rather have the recognition of winning 3 trophies in Europe in 3 consecutive years! So Porto in the Uefa cup might not be a bad thing after all! :cool:

2. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd rather they try to go as far as they can in the CL. The money is really important as far as improving the team, not to mention the fact that the UEFA cup is less important.

The UEFA cup would also be difficult to win since some pretty good teams from the CL could be eliminated.

3. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    From what they've shown this year what makes u think they'll go anywhere in the CL?

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh, I don't think they can win..I just want them to try to win :)

5. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Let's face the facts, all that PSG has to do is beat lowly CSKA Moscow and they're thru the next phase regardless of what Porto does. Let's face it unless they're is a divine intervention were already in the UEFA CUP. All u church going boys better do a lot of praying for Porto to see them in the next phase of the CL.

6. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    they're a very good team, Vagner Love will rip their defense appart :D
    and Daniel Carvalho probably will be fit to that game, finally long months after he picked an injury

7. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Yes, it's most probable that we will end up in UEFA but it's not inconcievable that CSKA can beat PSG.
    Porto is the underdog against Chelsea, but we are also at home, and Mourinho will be resting his best players because they have nothing to gain from this game and they play Arsenal 5 days or so later.

So I wouldn't say it's not impossible to go through to the next stage...highly unlikely, but not impossible.

8. _DvA_

_DvA_ New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Almada, Portugal
    Porto play 3 days later against Once Caldas
    Chelsea play 3 days later against Arsenal
    dont have sure about the days,

9. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I know anything can happen and it often does but can u see Porto playing a first seeded team such as Juve,Arsenal or Milan and winning?

10. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    We can also get knocked out of both UEFA and CL if CSKA win and Porto loses.
    We'd be tied for third with PSG but they'd go to UEFA because they beat us.

11. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Any way we slice it, its been a very disapointing season in the CL, when the draw for the groups was made i thought we would be challenging for first place, how wrong was i?

12. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Crappy coach
    injured players
    selling the top players on the team

bad spending on overhyped players: fabiano

= inevitable drop in performance :(

13. Portista69

Portista69 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    London,Canada
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Totally agree. BTW thanks for the rep point a couple of days ago :D
    Off topic- This is the year the Leafs are finally going to win the Stanley cup, Lets make a cup out of Tin Foil and let's have a parade in downtown T.O. No worries i bleed blue and white all around(Porto,Leafs,Knickerbockers,Raps,Jays,Bills) :D

14. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    I don´t know if we will end up in Uefa Cup but i know what i want and waht i want is see FC Porto qualifying to the last 16 of CL, i don´t botter who we will get, its very important to be in the last 16, it gives money, points and reputation and obviously for the players its a great experience, last year before the games against Manchester no one would give nothing for us and we were clearly the best team, we played without Derlei, we had no wingers for that games, we hadn´t Costinha in the first game etc etc we played and won the team gained confidence and was unstoppable until the end, this year everything is different but one thing i am sure if we qualify to the last 16, in February we will be a lot better than we are know.
    Hoppefully we will win against Chelsea and CSKA will get at least a draw in Paris, if this don´t happen then lets see if we go to Uefa or our european season is finished.