FC Dallas - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 7/2) pregame thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Inferno-dom is lousy with people who like to hijack threads and go OT. That is the first time I've seen a pre-game thread that OT, but it had to happen once in a while. You should see some of the crazy S that goes on at TIDN. There literally is a "It's Friday" thread, and once was a "What did you have for lunch" thread - basically, friends goofing around.

Don't interpret that as not being focused. That would be quite the mistake. If anything, it is a sign that we're having a real good time with this team - it has been a long time since we've had a team to be proud of for anything other than effort, and we've never really had a team THIS good. And the response to the injuries has been phenominal. In some ways, we're a bit giddy about the whole thing.

But when the whistle blows, well... there is a reason why you see "Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here" under my name. :)

As far as the team, I tell you - I keep expecting them to fall flat, esp. the kids. But they seem to keep finding ways to get the job done. It is really quite humbling to see. It is as if the entire FO and team finally loves the shirt as much as we do.

2. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Good point, hadn't thought about it from that perspective.

You are correct there - certainly don't expect to, can always hope!

But I also think that you can't to expect to shut down the Quakes offense, even though we are short handed. The team just seems to find ways to score and compete.

My head tells me Dallas should be favored to win.

But my heart tells me never to count out the Earthquakes :)

3. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    I would expect nothing less from a true 'Quakes fan.

4. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    By the way, just heard who the Quakes are taking on the road with them:

Onstad, Gray, Califf, Robinson, Barrett, Clark, Mullan, Chung, Cerritos, Moreno
    and
    Conway, Cochrane, O'Rourke, Hart, Nash, and Wondolowski.

Not clear who will start where. But, if I had to guess, I'd figure that O'Rourke is going to start in midfield, otherwise I really think he'd take Russell to start on the outside wing. Hart plays outside mid, but I can't imagine Dom would start him. And I can't imagine he would start Wondolowski, who hasn't seen one minute of playing time yet.

5. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly not this weekend. You do remember that you're nine points back, right?

I'll say this (some of it a rehash, but oh well) - you have a very good keeper and central D. And Barrett is probably an above-average outside defender. Mullan is definitely a good winger, and Clarke and Chung know how to play in MLS. And Cerritos - class act, glad to see he got back into the swing of things.

And the point about San Jose playing better on the road than most MLS sides I also agree with. (We'll set aside the Chivas result.)

I doubt it will be a blowout - unless Ruiz is 100% and hungry.

But I don't see a reason why Dallas can't go into the game hungry and come out with a win unless Onstad stands on his head again.

6. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I join TG in saying that is how things ought to be.

I definitely think they will compete. I think that definitely is true. But Davis and DeRo - how much of your offense is that missing? How many goals and assists?

From what I see, you have a young, hungry team that is playing as a unit, but subject to making young-team mistakes. Califf has helped ease that some.

But you're playing a team that has taken as many (if not more) injury hits than you, played more road games by a good stretch, and is currently nine points ahead of you. We also seem to find ways to score and not just compete, but win. We're not bragging, just explaining. (That may not feel much different... but there you have it.)

Well, if I were setting the line, I'd put it at a 2-1 result for Dallas - mostly because San Jose is a good enough team that it will be a one-goal result, but that Dallas (A) as the home team, and (B) as the one with the better record, should be favored to win.

San Jose certainly is playing with confidence. And if there is a team in the league that can handle a three-in-seven stretch with the third game in Dallas, it is the young legs of the Qlash.

It will be interesting to see.

7. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    After reading the lengthy discussion, I have changed my prediction.

Quakes 4, Burn .5

8. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    :) Quakes 2, Dallas 0.

Quakes: Cerritos, Moreno.

9. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay - there is wishful thinking and then there is . . . well, let's just say that the idea of you guys keeping Dallas off the boards AND having the push to score twice?

Anyone care to wager on that? A little sig/avatar fun? Or maybe an essay?

First come, first serve - a bet that San Jose will keep a clean sheet in Dallas. Anyone?

10. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, 2-1 wouldn't be surprising. Especially if you get a goal early. In looking at your results, it will be difficult to impossible to catch Dallas. Most of your remaining games are at home and you should be getting healthy. You have some great road wins. A mark of a winner is that your getting contributions from everyone (which is what happened to us in 2003).

Of course, you are due for a bad stretch. ;) Might us well start this weekend...

11. willykirk

willykirk Member

Jan 6, 2004
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

tex, what does the pitch look like to you on tv? i'm just asking since you obviously have never been to spartan in person. while narrow, the field at spartan is as flat and smooth (very slight crown in the middle of course) as any putting green on any golf course anywhere in the world--simply not a wrinkle anywhere, even in front of the goal mouths. i've heard many players love the surface--visiting teams just cant get a passing game going to match ours though colorado did a decent job in the first half last nite. you cant grow augustine out here since its too dry so the grass is the short narrow blade (species?) so maybe players who arent golfers are unfamilar with it, but its very thick and soft. i'll remember to take a close up for you next home game...

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah - we petitioned the league and they signed the paperwork yesterday - we're not going to have a bad stretch this season.

;)

13. i_heart_the_quakes

i_heart_the_quakes New Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Home at last!
    [Balki Bartokomous]Don't be ridiculous[/Balky Bartokomous]

They would only sign off on that for LA or the MetroStars, their first "Superclub". :rolleyes:

14. Aquari

Aquari New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Yes, I do Sir. And we are the closest second---in the current standings, we are officially, SECOND---those LA Galaxatives are below us :p

But, yeah, it will be difficult to beat ya'll. Must be nice to be at the top for a change (and I am not making a sarcastic comment!). :D

15. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dam you!

16. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sure has been fun to enjoy. And I think all in Dallas see the need to take advantage of the opportunity - esp. those like Bobby Rhine, Ronnie O'Brien, Oscar Pareja. In fact, we have two guys that everyone wants us to "win it for" if you will. Oscar (because he has been Dallas' heart and soul for eight years) and Richard (who we were really getting to know and the more we knew, the more we liked). Good rallying cries.

Actually, I think you have a better chance of beating us this weekend than catching us in the standings.

17. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, you don't understand how blackmail works, do you?

(evil, twisted, feral grin)

Actually, I've loved watching Metro fail year after year. And mostly the same for LA.

18. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well not this year, because the game falls on the same day as the US/Mexico game in Columbus. But I am definitely happy I never have to go back to that stadium again.

And wow, we have some heated discussions going on here. Bring on Saturday!

19. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Heated"? Mildly warm, maybe. A *good* discussion, certainly. But check out Dallas-Chicago during Brimstone - or hell, you guys and the Gals. (Too bad you guys could never get a rivalry cup up and running.... the games deserve it.)

BTW - we're working pretty hard to have a lot of good stuff to do if you come out to the MLS Cup (whether San Jose is in it or not.) Esp. if you have never been to an MLS Cup. Good times all around.

20. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I wouldn't worry too much about that, Mr. First-Place-But-Not-For-Long :cool:

21. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to share the news, or shall I?

22. yanks02

yanks02 New Member

Mar 19, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh yeah, I'll definitely be there for MLS Cup no matter who is in it. If I can get tickets that is. I'm hoping to come out to another game sometime this year. Not sure which one, but I want to see that stadium. Hopefully yall get the US/Panama game as well.

23. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds great - check back with me as we get closer. We should have the hotel info sometime in the next month or two. We're kicking around a few ideas, including a Supporters' Cup (basically, a glorified kickaround, probably just East v. West or something) and maybe a golf tournament. (Nothing solid yet.)

BTW, word around the campfire is that we didn't get Panama. :(

24. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Whatever happened to Mullan's Sock?

I've been to the last two MLS Cups and I would like to keep the streak going by attending MLS Cup X. Fingers crossed...

25. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - Ekelund4Life was the first to come calling, and he and I now have a bet.

Two weeks.

Sig and avatar.

San Jose clean sheet.

Loser starts paying on Monday.

And yes, if I do happen to lose, I will be here.

Is now not the time to point out the last time I made this bet, we scored in the first five minutes? ;)