FC Cinci v SKC, 10/28/20

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by mschofield, Oct 27, 2020.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So away to Cinci, riding high on our one in a row winning streak. This is the second time we've met, the first was last year and we tied 1-1. The odd numbers suggest Cinci +300. SKC-118. So, you know, bet on that, whatever it means.
    Overall, Cinci has pretty much sucked. 4 wins on the season, 11 goals scored, 31 conceded. For SKC thats 10 wins, 35 goals scored and 25 conceded. Still, MLS this week nudged us into the fifth spot in their power rankings, so I can hear the 5-2 thrashing coming.
    Cinci is coached by Japp Staam, which would be a lot more impressive if it meant he was playing. I was a kid in Reading, England, so continue to follow their club, and while there Reading bounced between great and horrible, but that makes sense because he's a total football devotee,. meaning looks to dominate possession, even when he does not have the players capable of doing that.He never really seemed to have a plan b. Wow, having stubborn, grumpy former star player as manager? What's that like? Weird, eh? Seriously, they're completely different. Staam is bald.
    Guti, of course, is joined by Zui, Busi and, uhm, Winsi, on the injured list.
    MLS predicts we start Dia Fontas Puncec and Linsey on the back line. I suppose this is possible, and they played well enough two days ago, but do we trot our fella of perpetual injury out for a third game in a row, esp when he just played? No idea, but if this is true it's a really sad statement on where Besler is at the moment.
    Our midfield is thought to be Kinda, Roger and Ilie, which is probably true.
    And up top Shelton, Pulido and Russell. I don't know that Gerso hasn't earned a start, but I do love him coming off the bench and blazing at tired legs.

siskoeva repped this.
  2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Busio and Reid aren't out per Vermes.

mschofield repped this.
  3. Dirt

Dirt Member

May 11, 2006
    KCMO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure I'm just late to the party here but what was the deal with dust up between Roger and Salloi?

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was an old video from like a year ago that Salloi reposted for Roger's bday.

5. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    winning sure is better than losing, but that was not pretty again.

6. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you look at the stats, it shows the basic strength in Jurgen Klopp's approach versus possession football. They had most of the ball, they got off as many shots, though they only had two on target. That said, aside from the penalty, was there a moment when you thought they'd score? We gave up most of the ball, out passing percent was lower (78 to 86 percent) but we were the only team that really showed any threat. I have to say that, my little joke aside, we've all watched Vermes develop a very strong plan B and this morning, last night, I thought SKC executed it quite well. They controlled huge stretches of the game to little or no effect, we seized moments and looked like the winners from about 15 minutes in. .

7. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, about Fontas: By the numbers, he was very solid. 48 completed passes, and 8 inc, but three of those were long balls, where everybody's numbers tank. He had a number of recoveries. He had a couple interceptions. He had a block. He didn't lose any challenges, according to MLS. It was a nice night.
    By the eye test, imo at least, pretty much the same. He looked both very solid defensively (about which I have had doubts in the past) and quite classy on the ball, which IMO has never been an issue.

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The spin move Vazquez did on Dia and then hit the post after Melia got a save that'll go uncredited.

My question though is has either of the last 2 teams REALLY offered much going forward to really test the deficiencies in his game that were readily apparent last year? Sure that's part of KC's game plan at times, but the Rapids were absolutely atrocious when trying to attack and Cincinnati was only marginally better than that.

mschofield repped this.
  9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    forgot that. So, if they'd scored on their real chances, 2-2. Even so, I thought we looked much more dangerous. They were kind of possessing to possess.

10. Spassapparat

Spassapparat Member

SKC/Werder Bremen
    May 14, 2017
    first half there was a cross to a wide open player who totally shanked his shot which ended up being a pass to another player in the 6yard box who skyed the shot

second half they had a shot from a wide open player just outside the box that looked fairly dangerous as well. both chances are included in the mls highlight video for the game.

I think on the balance of play they at least deserved a draw.

We were absolutely horrendous in the first half. Are there passing stats divvied about between halfs? Felt like our passing % was below 50% in the first half.