PBP: FC Barcelona vs PSG | UEFA Champions League - QF - 2nd Leg | 16 Apr 2024

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by celito, Apr 15, 2024.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    UEFA Champions League - QF (2nd leg)
    Date: Apr 16, 2024
    Screen Shot 2024-04-15 at 7.55.35 PM.png

Here we go. Biggest match of the season. Advancing to the CL SF would be huge for the club. This match will see the team either break a bad streak of painful 2nd leg CL eliminations or fall back to "old habits" post 2015. The 1 goal lead is far from safe. The first 15 mins of both halves in the 1st leg showed that the team can be put under pressure in a way that can lead to conceding many goals. Things can shift on a dime. So hopefully Xavi can direct the team through the difficult patches over 90 mins.

For the 2nd leg, PSG will come rested since they didn't play a game on the weekend and Lucho is talking a big game full of confidence. We should be rested as well as most players who should be starting were rested or played limited minutes vs Cadiz. Roberto and Christensen will be out for this one both with YC suspension.

inswinger, Khan, Gilmango and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Gilmango

Gilmango Member+

Jul 20, 2006
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Biggest question seems to be DM with no Christensen or even Roberto. Do we dare to start Romeu (hope not, not hating Romeu or even the budget signing of him, just not comfortable in this match with him out there, please prove me wrong if you get out there). Or do we do a sort of DM by committee with FDJ and Gundo both holding down some DM duties together (on defense) or alternating (when we are on the offensive), along with Fermin or Pedri as I am guessing Pedri still cannot go 90 much less 120.

inswinger, BocaFan and Khan repped this.
  3. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    #3 Khan, Apr 16, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
    If I'm Enrique, I'd assume that Xavi will have his side aligned as per usual. To me, this means that he should look to counter in the space evacuated by Cancelo on their right. If it were me, I would look to have Dembele and Mbappe swap sides more frequently, so as to run at Cancelo more with Mbappe, and to create confusion along Barca's backline.

Agreed that having neither Christiansen nor Roberto hurts, insofar has not having a 6-ish MFer to play. I'm guessing that it'll be FDJ/Pedri/Gundogan in the MF to start. This concerns me, in that both Pedri and FDJ probably aren't at their best just yet, either tactically, or from a fitness standpoint. And, we've seen what a lack of pressure on an opponent's ball carrier in the MF can do to create counters. Fortunately, Veratti's in Saudi now, and not with P$G.

That said, being at home and rested should provide a lift. Someone will have to step up, and impress themselves on the game, as Lewandowski and Raphinha did in Paris. I'm hoping it'll be FDJ.

If Barça can score first, and head into half with a lead, I think the tie will be well won. But, if Barca are behind at half, there may not be enough on the bench to forge a remontada, especially as Pedri and FDJ are likely only 60-70 minute men at this point.

It would also be ideal to win the game in 90 minutes, so as to head to Madrid as ready and rested as possible.

inswinger and Gilmango repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    PSG comes in rested as all French clubs involved in Europe this week didn't have to play a match last weekend.

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    We rest most starters last game so fitness shouldn't be issue this game.

inswinger and BocaFan repped this.
  6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    Look like Xavi will play De Jong and Gundogan as his pivot duo while Pedri will get enough freedom to create up front. Not sure if this is good plan cause through out of season Pedri shows that he is not effective enough as an attacking midfielder. But let's see.

inswinger and Khan repped this.
  7. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BocaFan and Khan repped this.
  8. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Araujo, Frenkie de Jong, Lamine Yamal, Ferran Torres and João Félix would be suspended from the next UCL match if booked today.

BocaFan, inswinger and Gilmango repped this.
  9. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Thanks, evil allan.

Their right looks more potent coming forward, but more exposed defensively. Here's hoping Raphinha can have more joy today.

evil_allan repped this.
  10. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    You sure?

I'd thought that cards reset after the QFs...

FOUND IT: https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsl...e-yellow-cards-how-many-bookings-lead-to-a-s/

From that link: ..."in addition, all yellow cards expire on completion of the quarter-finals. They are not carried forward to the semi-finals."

Gilmango repped this.
  11. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    hm. actually i'm not sure. doesn't that just mean the cards are reset if they avoid getting suspended today?

BocaFan and Khan repped this.
  12. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    TBH, I'm not certain, either.

But that link at least sounds promising. Just put P$G to the sword, and end it in 90 minutes.

13. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    Barca fan burning Dembele shirt
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gilmango repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yikes! Could have one foot out the door even if we win tonight.

15. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Yellows are wiped clean after the quarter-finals.

BocaFan repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That's what I thought too, but on the graphic at the start of the world-wide broadcast they showed players on yellow cards (also 3 from PSG).

17. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ah yes. This explains it.

18. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Apparently defenders can foul Lewy all they like and no whistle...

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Bad news: We're getting thoroughly outplayed.
    Good news: Match is starting the same way as leg 1.

20. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The yellow card rule is, players on a yellow can be suspended for the semi 1st leg if they receive another yellow today.

But get through today's quarter unsuspended, and the yellows are gone in the semi.

BocaFan repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I am hoping Barca just have some nervous energy that will burn off in the next five minutes, and that this isn't our strategy for the game.

22. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Outplayed but not made too uncomfortable, just like in Paris :thumbsup:

BocaFan repped this.
  23. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They're the ones needing a goal. Contain them, counter when they leave space behind, possess the ball when the break isn't on.

This seems to be the tactics from what the first 10 minutes have shown.

24. evil_allan

evil_allan Member+

May 3, 2004
    Turtle Island
    raphinhav again !!!!!!!!! yamaaal tooo

Gilmango repped this.
  25. inswinger

inswinger Moderator
    Staff Member

May 17, 2001
    Club:
    FC Barcelona