Favorite name for J League or other Japanese club team

Discussion in 'Asian Football Confederation' started by watanabe2k, Jan 3, 2003.

1. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    gotta be Fukuoka, before they were Avispa, the were "Blux" whatever the hell that means!

2. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    WTF does that mean?

Yeah, the J-League has some of the coolest team names. I am partial to Oita Trinita and Ventforet Kofu.

3. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    I have heard two stories about this name. According to one story, it was supposed to mean "Blue cross" (= blu + x), and it was a registered trademark of the company Chuo Bohan, which is the origin of the team. At the time, the team was not in Fukuoka, but in Fujieda, which is in Shizuoka Prefecture, and the team was called "Fujieda Blux". When the J.League was formed, the team moved to Fukuoka since there were already so many teams in Shizuoka.

A second story says that "Blux" stands for "Brave Lads with Ultimate X". The "X" is supposed to be that extra ingredient that makes a player special. Although this name sounds a lot cooler, I think this story is just an urban legend. The blue cross explanation seems more likely, based on the team's history.

Personally, I like the name "Profesor Miyazaki" (JFL team). It sounds like the name of some mad scientist from a James Bond movie.

4. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHIMIZU S PULSE! How do you beat that?

5. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Picha Picha Picachu

6. minorthreat

minorthreat Member

Jan 1, 2001
    NYC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Ventforet? Where'd they get that from, if anyone knows? Because I believe it means, very loosely translated, something like 'strong wind' in Catalan.

7. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    San Frecce Hiroshima

"san" is "three" in Japanese and "frecce" means "arrow" in Italian. It's based on a local legend, but it's silly how they combine two languages. I love it.

8. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Kyoto Purple Sanga.

WTF is Sanga.

9. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    It is French, actually, and means "wind in the forest". The name comes from the motto of Takeda Shingen, a 16th century warlord who was famous for all the battles he fought and his excellent strategic ability. His philosophy was to move quickly and attack rapidly, so he took the motto "Furin Kasan", which means "wind in the forest, fire on the mountain", which expresses the way he thought his armies should fight. Ventforet Kofu took the first part "wind in the forest" and translated it into French to become "Ventforet".

By the way, for those who speak japanese, there is also an "oyaji gag" about how Takeda Shingen made his motto. When he was young, his mother was always cheating on her husband, so when he grew up, he took a motto that reminded him of his childhood: "Furin Kaa-san"

10. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    “ä‚Í‚·‚×‚Ä‰ð‚¯‚½

11. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hamatachi are you gonna start another Kindaichi thread again?

Yeah the Three arrows story comes from Mori Motonari, who when he was dying brought his sons into the room, broke one arrow, then grabbed there and couldn't break them.

Personally my family hates Mori cause he burned and pilaged our region.

12. n00bie deluxe

n00bie deluxe New Member

Aug 31, 2002
  13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    The Mori family was a warlord family that ruled the region around Hiroshima. Of course, Motonari's son ended up being defeated by Toyotomi Hideyoshi who ended up ruling most of Japan.

14. Korea_Fighting

Korea_Fighting Red Card

Jun 17, 2002
    Hideyoshi sounds very familiar to me. Did he invade Korea in 16th century?

15. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yes he did.

16. splinterhead

splinterhead Member

Jun 10, 2001
    Beaver, PA
    What is a Grampus? Why are there only eight of them?

17. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Almost all of these names are discussed on the team pages at my web site. I dont mind discussing some of them here, if I have time, but for those who are really interested in the source of the names, you can just go to the team pages at the RSN and find out the source of the name.

For J1:
    http://www.wldcup.com/Asia/jleague/teams.html

for J2:
    http://www.wldcup.com/Asia/j2/teams.html

By the way this what I wrote about Grampus:

Grampus took its name from an old British word for gargoyle-like characters, like the ones on the top of Nagoya Castle -- the city's most distinctive landmark. The official team name is "Nagoya Grampus Eight", and a variety of reasons have been given over the years for the word eight. Originally, some suggested that it referred to the eight arms of an octopus. However, Nagoya adopted a killer whale as its mascot, so this explanation makes little sense. The official company website states that it refers to the eight priciples of citizenship in Nagoya City, but it is unlikely that any fan can tell you what those principles are. In general, the public and the press have come to refer to the team as simply "Nagoya Grampus".

18. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It sounded liked the movie "Ran" by Akira Kurosawa. He must have combine the story with King Lear to make "Ran". I am sure the warlord in the movie told his three sons about the arrows.

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    A grampus is a dolphin, at least according to Webster.