Favorite John Peel Sessions: A Tribute

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by brianzappa, Oct 27, 2004.

1. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    Big Soccer Member bmurphyfl suggested that a thread like this should exist for us to post our favorite John Peel Sessions, in memory of the man.

Mercury Rev- Yerself is Steam, various cuts. (1992)

2. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Daaaaaamn. Forgot about that one...the cover of Sly Stone's "If You Want Me To Stay" could be my entry into another thread on these boards.

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    The Fall "Sparta F.C."

It blows the album version away.

4. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reissue of Pavement's Crooked Rain Crooked Rain has reminded me of the Peel session that they did in 94. I used to listen to it on a crappy bootleg so it's nice to have a clean copy of it now. But even with the crappy sound of the bootleg, it was great. Both "Brink of the Clouds" and "The Sutcliffe Catering Song" were much better versions during that session than what Pavement eventually recorded for release. Somehow, the guy often coaxed better performances out of artists than big name producers did.

5. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    That's what I always associated with the Peel Sessions. It didn't always happen, but like you said, it usually did.

6. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Yea, but how many of those did he actually do? I remember Morrissey complaining that his first solo Peel Session was a horrible experience because it was just a bunch of newcomer engineers treating it like an assembly line product.

Obviously, the early sessions were him, but I remember reading that and getting the idea that he sort of stepped aside from them after a bit.

7. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know how many he did or what kind of influence he had during the later years. But even if he wasn't directly involved, it's possible that his guidance of the newcomers carried on that influence and the general mystique of doing a Peel session may have propelled some of the bands.

Isn't Morrissey known for being a bit of a prima dona and complaining?

8. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Oh, yea...I definitely took it with a grain of salt. :)

9. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    Fugazi had some excellent Peel tracks.

10. the_baron

the_baron New Member

Jan 27, 2004
    County Tyrone
    Magazine. They put all their Peel Session tracks on a Compilation.