Fastest dribblers you've ever seen?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dark Savante, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    I'm sure BS is split down the middle almost 50/50 between those who saw pre-injury Ronaldo week in week out and those who came into football and have only ever seen post injury Ronaldo.

I've never ever, not once, seen a player as fast as he was with the ball at his feet. I've seen every other all-timer, I've seen many current players who are quick, but still I don't think i'll ever see a player who could move so fast and have complete control of the ball.

The question I ask as the thread header is about the fastest dribblers you've seen in your time watching football. My second paragraph is to put pre-injury Ronaldo forth as the premier name for this catergory and this third pargraph is to ask which players come behind him in this department.

For my money it'd be C.Ronaldo next. His movement at top speed with regard to dribbling is amazing. Some other names I would put forward:

Gento, Giggs, Overmaars, Eusebio, Boniek, Robben, Giuly (at Monaco)

remember for this thread the players have to be extremely fast runners in the first place. That rules out many of the very best dribblers in the history of the game and makes this thread very specific and elitist. Don't put forth names like Zidane and Maradona* or players who use a slower paced guile and trickery to beat their men normally such as Figo, Ibrahimovic Ronaldinho etc.. I'm looking for players who can maintain control of the ball whilst running at full speed and do so regularly, not on one off occassions..

I'd like to know if anyone thinks anybody who has ever played the game comes close to pre-injury Ronaldo in this catergory as well.

*Maradona whilst quick would not come close to any of these players in a footrace. Before the usuals come in and offer nothing at all to this thread I'll put up this disclaimer and paste it if neccessary.

2. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    You sound like Franz Beckenbauer. ;)

Nope, I have never seen any such player.

Pele comes closest. He could dribble at top speed and yet have full control on the ball. I'd also name players like Roberto Carlos, Leonardo (at LB) and Cafu, who needed to have not only trickery but also great speed to attack down the flanks. How about Denilson? He was fast.

3. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Platini
    Beardsley

4. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Fastest dribbler I've personally ever seen is Quincy Owusu. He's not very effective with his end-pass but he'd make Overmars look slow.

5. Kaushik

Kaushik Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Toronto
    Yeah, Overmas too. A very fast dribbler. Abedi Pele as well.

6. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Too be fair Overmars wasn't that good of a dribbler, but since he was faster then most players he could just play the ball past his defender and run past him.

7. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Ronaldo in his Barca season was extreme, so incredibly direct with his runs, cutting through defences like they weren't even there.

The one you're missing from your list is David Ginola. The best dribbler we've had in english football, only player I've ever seen who was actually faster with the ball than without. When Ginola peaked he was one of the greatest in the world, sadly he'll never get the recognition because of the lack of tournament play with France.

8. Xeneize12

Xeneize12 New Member

Jan 28, 2005
    La Palma, CA
    Rodrigo Palacio - while not relying on BS "tricky" dribbling like C. Ronaldo - Palacio - has very fast pace (is almost always one step ahead of the defense)- and keeps the ball at his foot on a string - he was instrumental in Boca's winning season this year (and hopefully will represent the Argentine NT this summer - something with Pekerman hinted at recently) Juventus recently offered a presumed 6Million E's for him - too low IMO - he will most likely stay at Boca- at least till 2007.

9. jameseyla

jameseyla Member

Jun 8, 2003
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon Donovan and Bixente Lizerazu come to mind for me.

10. GRBomber

GRBomber Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Brasília - Brazil
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Robben is very fast, isn't he?

11. J_J_Okocha

J_J_Okocha New Member

Sep 28, 2004
    how can yall not name thierry henry.

12. Mephistor

Mephistor Member

Mar 26, 2004
    Essen
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    David Odonkor, German U-21, Borussia Dortmund, right wing player

Fastest player I have ever seen. His weakness is that he is sometimes to fast for the ball and that he hasn't the killer-instinct in front of the goal. But he is on the way to eliminate this weakness...

13. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    he's fast, but he just uses it in spurts and doesn't keep the ball close to him when sprinting.

14. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Yes he is, accelleration and ball-control are his biggest ups tough.

15. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Shouldn't there be a differentiation between fast players that just kick the ball past the defender (eg. Owen) and those who keep the ball close (eg. Barca Ronaldo?

They can both be effective, but the first type isn't dribbling imho

16. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    read the first post again... DS talks about being in complete control at high speeds.

17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it may have seemed that way, that is physically impossible.

18. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maradona and Michael Laudrup.

19. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    That might be a way of subtly saying that Ginola was a lazy twat without the ball ;)

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Just to remind folks.

21. CoenD2

CoenD2 New Member

Aug 27, 2004
    Utrecht
    I agree. He is definately the fastest of all the players mentioned here. In terms of pace he's in a different league. In terms of lack of effectiveness unfortunately too.....

Anyway, keep an eye on this guys. He's getting more minutes at Arsenal by the week.

22. Football Ronin

May 13, 2002
    Oregon, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the pre-injury Ronaldo was something. He was equally impressive without the ball he was just so explosive. To me the other guy that really stands out is Ryan Giggs. He has lost a step the last season or two, but man I remember runs of his where is just leaving everyone behind and closing the distance to the next defenders so fast and in complete control. Pulling away from the midfield and still able to flick around the next guy. He still has runs that just eat up space, just not quite like a few seasons ago. I just really enjoy watching him play. Cristiano Ronaldo is very fast and an amazing dribbler but doesn't seem to do it at the electric pace that Ronaldo and Giggs did.

23. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    That's a great shout ;) especially from a Juve fan :D Giggs from his debut to about 2001/02 was ridiculously fast with the ball at his feet. I remember my first time watching him in person you really get to comprehend the acceleration and pace when you see him leaving others for dead and actually getting faster and faster. His goal against Arsenal in the FA cup reply was a perfect example of what I'm talking about in this thread. Also some of the goals he's scored against Juve over the years ;)

24. dor02

dor02 Member

Aug 9, 2004
    Melbourne
    Club:
    UC Sampdoria
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't notice that Dark Savante quote.

Claudio Caniggia was a fast dribbler. At Italia 90 his pace and dribbling gave Argentina's attack (whenever they would somehow attack) more cutting edge and drive. One example was when Argentina played Cameroon. The Argentinians did lose but when they were in the game, Argentina were more deadly when Caniggia came on. In the first half, Argentina only had Abel Balbo upfront and they couldn't produce any real threats for the Cameroon squad. Once Caniggia came on, his fast dribbling really made the Cameroonian defence look vulnerable and he helped to bring his teammates into the game. At the same time it caused his opponents to react and Cameroon got two players sent off because of his play.

25. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Cannigia is a fantastic shout. In fact, he would have been in my initial list. He was dynamite in his younger days. What a waste.