Fast feet?

Discussion in 'Soccer Boots' started by hambone, Sep 13, 2002.

1. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I have noticed how all the best dribblers have extremely fast feet. They can pull one or even 2 stepovers and go in the time it takes a defender to poke at them. So, how do you develop these really quick feet that can perform deaks really quickly.

2. GreenDay

GreenDay New Member

Sep 15, 2001
    Estonia
    get yourself in the best shape possible.

3. nopheer

nopheer New Member

May 4, 2002
    Swindon, UK
    not really about shape, it's more about practice.. Like with anything, the more you practice at something, the faster you'll get at it. The best thing to do is NOT to try and do it fast, then you will get the correct technique.. without realising it, you'll get gradually faster as you practice.

4. gerr18

gerr18 New Member

Jul 11, 2002
    This is pretty elementary...but what I do a lot of is dribbling through cones at the fastest pace possible. I set out like 6 cones about 2 feet apart then a 7th cone about 10 yards from the rest at the end. I dribble through the 6 cones quickly, then sprint dribble to the 7th, around it, then back through the 6. It's a good conditioning drill as well. Try it out, it's pretty difficult at first, but you'll be amazed when your quickness on the ball improves drastically. Good luck!

blake

5. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    k thanks, I guess i'll do the cone drill more now. I have realized I can do one deak so incredibly quickly and it works like 80% I did it like 10 times in a row to this one kid and beat him over and over....then finally he caught on.

Here is the deak i am good at:
    Touch it with your right just very slightly towards the left side of your body. As you do this your right foot comes to the left side of the ball as if you were going to do inside outside. Then you step over the ball with your right from inside to outside and take the ball with your left foot.

Can you guys think of a deak that i could do continual practice on for the next two weeks that would go well with this one?

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well, I think I've become a better dribbler than I used to be (say when I was 17-18 as opposed to 25 now) plainly due to practice.

I usually play defence and am a fairly intelligent player, good at anticipating, passing, starting plays out of the back (all within my own level, just recreational), but never a good dribbler.

To improve my dribbling trapping I just make an effort to keep the ball next to my feet when practicing/running/warming up. I'm also not afraid to just experiment every now and then, see if I can do a move now a little better.

Also big on watching games as a supplement to actual practice. And since I've been recovering from surgery and watching videos of the World Cup I'll have plenty of stuff to try out.

In all seriousness though, paying attention when you watch simply adds a different awareness of what's going on and how some things are done.

Apply it all in plenty of practice and it can come through in play.

Edit: Adding a defender's perspective by the way: I just love being able to poke a ball away at the right moment, guy moves to one side I poke the ball and move in the opposite direction, round the attacker and move forward with the ball (as if I had dribbled him basically pushing the ball to one side and going around the other).

I can only do this if the guy does not have a superb touch on the ball. Speed only kills me if it's a foot race and he's faster. Once someone wants to dribble while facing you it's all about ball control - keeping the ball glued to your feet. That's what you most want to be able to do.

Robert

7. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Here is my plan....tell me if it sounds good.

1) Take ball on runs keep close dribbling
    2) Dribble more while playing fun games with friends
    3) Juggle at least every second day for 30 minutes.
    4) Dribble through cones twice a week
    5) Dribble around with my left foot at night when i am bored

8. NC_ODP02

NC_ODP02 New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    NC, USA
    you should dribble through cones every day, making the space smaller every time it becomes too easy.

Also, dribbling more in a game with friends is a good idea. I can do a lot of moves, but in games I just cut around(works the best b/c you can almost go full speed the whole time). Dribbling more may actually open the field up more for you, so once you are comforatable with dribbling you will know where your friends will be and can just pass. I like to pass more than dribble though....

9. 2ManyHeaders

2ManyHeaders Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Chicago
    most players have a few moves they practice over and over so that it becomes instintually a quick move, no thinking involved.

My advice is to develop a good skills, but have a few siganture moves that complement each other. In other words, if you have a move that gets you to the left, develop a similar move that gets you to the right. This way, when your opponent figures out the first, you can use the other.

10. soccerfan220

soccerfan220 New Member

Jun 24, 2002
    USA
    If you have a little brother , who is at least 2 years younger or who you are much better than...could be big bro, practice moves on him. That's what I do and I know all the moves in the world, as well as having fast feet.

11. hambone

hambone New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    haha i do that to one of my friends all the time soccer fan.