Fascinating Peter Hirdt Column

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JoeW, Oct 24, 2003.

1. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    At MLSNet, Peter Hirdt has his usual Friday coloumn and there is some particularly interesting info about DCU.

As reported earlier, United is the first club to have 5 OT losses. Hirdt points out that United has allowed ONLY 5 shots on goal during our 13 OTs this season--and all 5 shots went for goals! This is especially amazing given our record in the last 30 minutes of regulation (where United is one of the top 3 teams in MLS at +/-) plus our overall defensive record.

Additionally, lots of folks have groused about Hudson's lack of substitutions. Evidently, this trait is borne out among all foreign born coaches in MLS (Yallop, Schmid, etc.)--that if you're a native US coach, you're much more likely to use all 3 subs (or 4 depending upon one's take on that). If you're naturalized, you're more likely to use 2 subs or less.

2. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    It is amazing? that DCU has been prone to losing in OT. As he says (provided we don't make the playoffs) it will be the first time OT has been the deciding factor. Well that and our inability to win matches in regulation.

3. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Except that United is also one of the 3 best teams at the last 30 minutes--we score more and give up fewer goals than all but 2 other clubs (I think Metros are above us if I remember correctly). In otherwords, a team that is "money" in the last 30 minutes then chokes in OT (especially in the 99th minute). Now that is extremely amazing.

4. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing and perplexing................................................................ :confused:

5. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    All I know is it makes my peter hirdt. :(