Fans in a funk?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by LordRobin, Aug 11, 2009.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't be the only one who's noticed this.

It's been maybe two weeks since I've seen any positive post in this forum about the City Stars. No one seems to be discussing their matches. Greenarmy.info has been dead for close to a week and effectively dead for far longer than that. The lack of enthusiasm is... well, alarmingly obvious.

Mind you, I can understand why. You can read my rants in the Joshua Boateng thread if you care. Long story short, team management isn't doing a good job of showing they care about the results on the field. When that happens, it's hard to generate much enthusiasm.

If anyone from the front office is reading this: YOU ARE LOSING US. Right now, I suspect that a lot of fans are in the mindset of "forget about this until next season". But if next season comes around, and you haven't done something to make it damned clear that what happened in 2009 is unacceptable, you're going to lose a lot of those fans for the entire season. So I would suggest you make some highly visible changes. And you can start by firing that incompetant bench-weight you call a coach.

And I don't want to hear about how I should just be a good fan and suck it up, or else there won't be pro soccer in Cleveland. I got news for you: Columbus ain't that far away.

------RM

2. billy bright

billy bright New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the Crew is the best team in the league playing in one of the most hostile venues in the league which makes for a great atmosphere. Adn from what i heard, the Crew will be stepping up there marketing efforts in the Cleveland/Akron area next season 500%. So, the CCS FO better start doing something for they willl lose the few fans they have.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everybody is upset with the season, and how could you not? It's been absolutely horrible. I don't think anybody was truly expecting this when the season started. Not that I was expecting the team to win it all, but I thought we'd be around 7th/8th.

And just to be technical, our attendance is actually up this season. Our average attendance from last season was a little inflated. We did not have good crowds at the start of the season last year (probably around 700-800) and we had some huge crowds (3,000 for the championship). Overall last year we probably averaged around 1,200 - 1,300. This season we're around 1,500. So we've actually averaged more fans this season than last. But I digress.

For changes? Well, we most likely will not be returning to Bedford next season. I don't think anybody likes it. The field turf is bad; so much worse than Krenzler. If only Krenzler had a press box. I'd guess that there would have to be player turn around for next season. The core of this team should return (Kante, Stewart, Pato, the 'keepers, Stovi). Pato may be the hardest working player on the team. The rest, well who knows? We shall have to wait and see.

When it comes down to it, I think this season has to go down to an expansion year. What we did in USL2 is not the norm by any means. Then there's the fact that we have the lowest payroll in the league. We can't spend $500k on a player for one season like Carolina has. Then we had a huge rash of injuries and suspensions at the start of the season and that half of our team couldn't even get into the country until April. Was it ideal? Not at all. It all contributed. The team has looked better on the field, even though we're not winning. I talked to John at the last game and I agree with what he said. The players are trying to hard and playing tight. They make one mistake and we get punished. I don't know that if Martin were still head coach that things would be better. I love Martin, but I don't think that if he were here everything would be better. The other expansion team is just one point ahead of us.

Unfortunately, this season had turned out to be the expansion season we never had. There are some other things that are planned.

@billy: I saw you mentioned the Green Army in another post and used the term "we." Showing up to a few games last season and almost none this season doesn't make you a member of the group.

4. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Carolina paying a half million for?

5. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the rumor I heard is that Carolina paid over 500k in transfer fees and salary for the guy they signed from la liga. What I remember he played for celta vigo.

He's no longer with the team, but all first year contracts are guaranteed. So they're still paying his salary.

Here is the announcement from when he signed: Cary, NC (Thursday, February 5, 2009) – The Carolina RailHawks announced today the signing of La Liga star and Uruguayan International midfielder Marcelo Romero Pending League, USSF approval and International clearance. Romero will be at training camp from the beginning, on February 9, and will make his debut in orange at the “Community Shield” on Saturday March 14, when the RailHawks host the New England Revolution. Tickets ($10, $15 and $20) are available now at the LGFCU Box Office, by calling 919-859-KICK (5425) or by visiting www.carolinarailhawks.com.

6. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a bright note, in an effort to support our shirt sponsor, I drove my lazy arse an hour away to Middlefield Cheese and must say it was pretty cool! I got some "smoked salami" cheese, some "horseradish", and their normal swiss, in addition to some BBQ sauce, Horseradish mustard, and spicy garlic.

7. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone who drives an hour for cheese cannot be considered lazy. I would say inspired.

Their horseradish cheddar is aces and makes a knock-out tuna melt.

8. Wolfff

Wolfff New Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My soccer team is from a school less than 5 minutes outside of Cleveland on the south side, Cuyahoga Heights, and we've never gotten any stuff from the CCS but Columbus has called us about 8 times since our pre-season (late July) has started trying to get us to come down. They weren't really offering much of a discount though...think it was like 10% most.

9. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a cool place. You gotta watch out for the Amish "buggy exhaust" in the parking lot, though. :D

------RM

10. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Just more proof that ACES started in Columbus.

11. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're an idiot.

12. Fenerbace

Fenerbace Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Never claimed otherwise, but you sir have zero sense of humor. Zero.

13. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No I do not

14. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL attendance numbers are crap. So, I'm not sure that we are better this year. Someone from the FO told me that they were personally responsible for 3 of the attendance numbers this season. As in, "Hey Joe, how many fans do you think are out there tonight?" "I'd say 824." And then that's what goes on the scorecard. And this is a very reliable source, so it's not BS. And I've heard that similar things go on around the league and in other leagues as well.

15. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who elected you president of the group to make such decisions about who is a member and who isn't? Hell, I didn't even know we had "members".

I missed a hell of a lot of last season because I had a death in the family and was unemployed for several months. Guess I wasn't part of the group. I think I've made it to 8 of the games this year, is that enough? What's the requirement?

Life happens, not all of us are college kids on summer break. And even so... I recall you missed several games this year because you were out of country, isn't that true?

Seriously, we're in no position to exclude people from the group. Unless someone is being an asshole and crosses certain lines I'm not going to say you can't belong. And it's not like it's any of our places to do so. There is not a single one of us who's been to every single game.

If anything, your current attachment to the team by employment kind of distances you from the group. It really appears that you've lost some perspective, or are at least presenting a different public face than you used to. But still, I don't think any of us are going to say that you aren't part of the group.

16. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think there's a difference between having an excuse and not showing up because the team isn't doing well. Maybe he does have an excuse. It just seems that from his posts that the only reason he doesn'ts how up is because the team isn't winning. From what I've seen, it appears that he prefers to go to Crew games. I don't have a problem with that, I like the Crew as well. I'm also not saying he's not a fan of the City Stars. Nor am I saying he can't be a part of the group. I know that not everybody can make every game. But there's a difference between not being able to make the game and not wanting to go.

I would love for him to come to the games and sing with us. It would be great.

17. billy bright

billy bright New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have only been to 2 games this year. I travel alot for work and for vacation. I am a fan, but it wasnt the bad season that has kept me away this season, it seriously was the stadium. I went to the Crew home opener this season vs. Toronto, it was my first time at a Crew game. You experience that, with the rowdiness and hatred of both fans, in a soccer specdfic stadium, then you watch this horrible team, in ahigh school football stadium with football lines, it wasnt hard to decide where i wanted to spend my money. I love CCS, but the move from Krenzler, which besides its size, had the best sightlines in USL1 and 2, but it was a soccer specific stadium. The football lines kill it. Plus, the rivalries were better in USL-2. I like rowdy games like vs. Shitsburg. I dont like the "family enviroment". i dont im sorry. I wish i lived in England where u dont have to worry about family enviroments. I like rowdiness. The Crew games are rowdy, Stars games are not. I just changed my preferences. I am still a fan though. This was a seaosn of change, and i just im not on board with it. A moves back down to USL-2 and Krenzler would prolly bring me back a little bit more.

18. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hate to be rude or interject, too deeply in a conversation about a team that I haven't had a chance to see in person. However I'd think it's a tough season like this that your team needs you the most. I get not making every game and all that but I'd think these time are when you need the biggest boost to build that rowdy atmosphere. After all rivalries and supporters cultures aren't built over night, sounds like your FO kinda sucks but if the ship gets righted and a decent team is fielded next year you might be in better shape. I dunno just my take on things.

Also I'm glad ya enjoyed the Crew game ya made. Terrible F*cking Club vs The Massive is becoming one of the most heated rivalries in MLS between fans and now even the players are getting at each other.

19. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't give up on a team because they are losing. It will only prove that soccer fans in US are band-wagon fans.

20. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have no clue what you're talking about. Stay out of our forums. Stick with the pro/rel threads.