Fan-sponsored Cup with Seattle?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by sounderfan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Let's say Seattle gets a team in MLS for 2009...:D

I think it would be cool and also appropriate to start a 'fan cup' between Seattle and San Jose.

If we come in as the "Sounders," even more reason. If not, still a good idea with the decades of play between the two cities in soccer.

(See FC Seattle's 1988 thrashing of the San Jose Earthquakes in the WSA Final: http://goalseattle.com/museum/FCSeattleStorm1988.htm)

I realize that LAG will always be the biggest Quakes rival, but can anyone else on these forums see Seattle as a possible #2? Oh, wait....Houston. OK then, a possible #3?

2. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could get Starbucks and Peets to sponsor it and call it the Coffee Cup.
    That way we could show that we have better coffee and soccer all at once.

3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Good one.

Of course the silicon angle would work well with both cities too.

Or, how about this:

The Traditions Cup
    A cup pitting the two longest-running names in American soccer history... (Again, IF Seattle comes in as the "Sounders," or as an FC that fans can call Sounders.)

The trophy could be called "The Old 74" in honor of the year both clubs began. We could celebrate our dual histories while going at each other at the same time! :D

4. bluenblack

bluenblack New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    San Leandro, CA
    I love the idea of commemorating the long histories of the Quakes and Sounders with a Cup. I also would like it if the Seattle club was called the Sounders.

However, what if they are called something else? (Goodsy: I'm only playing devil's advocate here...:D ) If this was the case, what if we had something like the Pacific Cup and include all 4 West Coast teams?

On the other hand, I can see this diluting the rivalry with The Filth. Then again are we going to consider Houston an extra bitter rival or lump them together with other teams like Columbus and KC? Just wondering.

5. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah yes, the good and righteous innovators of new ideas vs the evil monopolistic
    idea stealers of the north.

Yes that works too.

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is an excellent suggestion.

Of course, we will always have a rivalry with the evil, cheating, hated, league-favored, water-stealing, smog-breathing galactofilth. That goes way beyond sports.

A rivalry with Seattle, and perhaps also Portland and Vancouver in the future would be excellent as well, and not quite so nasty. So I think that calling it the Traditions Cup allows us to add other teams in the future, should Portland and Vancouver join MLS. Don't make too specific to SJ vs Sea.

And forget coffee houses, let's get a brew pub or six to sponsor it!

Oh, and I really, really want your side to be called the Sounders. I think you should play in the '08 season, even if in USL, and then bring your FO and some of your players up to MLS. That's a model that MLS needs, beyond the fact that it would be good for your side. (And yeah, I don't like your team, but we're talking logistics and building the beautiful game here, which are a whole lot more important that team rivalries.)

GOOOOO QUAAAAAAKES!!!!!! :D :D :D

- Mark

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bleh. These kinds of cups are lame. If a rivalry develops, we won't need a contrived "cup" to make it interesting. If a rivalry doesn't develop, nobody will care about a "cup."

8. GOALSeattle

GOALSeattle Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the heart of most traditions you'll usually find some lame-o idea that people ran with...add a dose of time...now it's a cherished 'tradition.'

Of course, Seattle will kick the hell out of Santa Clara High School FC anyway, so perhaps you all should decline. ;)