Famous person is dead. R.I.P. [R]

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by That Phat Hat, Mar 16, 2011.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Just saw Brimley last week in The Firm - a very enjoyable performance.

"I get paid to be suspicious when I've got nothing to be suspicious about."

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Pete Hamill, at 85

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/nyregion/pete-hamill-dead.html

"Mr. Hamill became a celebrated reporter, columnist and the top editor of The New York Post and The Daily News; a foreign correspondent for The Post and The Saturday Evening Post; and a writer for New York Newsday, The Village Voice, Esquire and other publications. He wrote a score of books, mostly novels but also biographies, collections of short stories and essays, and screenplays, some adapted from his books."

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]

Mr. Hamill in the newsroom of The New York Post in March 1993. He had been dismissed as editor in chief by the paper’s new owner, Abraham Hirschfeld, but stayed on the job to supervise the publication of an edition devoted to criticism of Mr. Hirschfeld. :D

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  4. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jerry Garcia, 25 years ago.

5. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    "In the end there's still that song
    crying like the wind
    through all the broken dreams
    and vanished years"

Robert Hunter

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    One I saw recently, but I was caught out of position:

Trini Lopez, who had worldwide hit records in the early 1960s by creating a unique mix of American folk, Latin and rockabilly music, died on Tuesday at a hospital in Rancho Mirage, Calif. He was 83.

His longtime friend and collaborator Joe Chavira said the cause was complications of Covid-19.

Mr. Lopez’s two biggest records — “If I Had a Hammer” and “Lemon Tree” — had both been hits as well for the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary several years earlier. But Mr. Lopez’s versions soared even higher on Billboard’s Hot 100 chart.

Mr. Lopez’s version of “If I Had a Hammer” shot to No. 1 in 36 countries and sold more than a million copies. His stylistic advantage? Arrangements that listeners could dance to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/arts/music/trini-lopez-dead.html

Len repped this.
  8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    [​IMG]
    Mr. Lopez with Frank Sinatra and his daughters, Nancy (left) and Tina, in 1965 at the premiere of the movie “Von Ryan’s Express” (which starred Sinatra). Mr. Lopez recorded for Sinatra’s record company.

Len repped this.
  9. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    The absolute worst rhyme ever perpetrated on the world of pop music was on Squeeze's "East Side Story" somewhere; there's a triplet which rhymes-- allegedly-- "notice," "Trini Lopez..."and "hopeless,"

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  10. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    TimB4Last repped this.
  11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was diagnosed before filming began. Wow.

2020 can eat a bag of dicks.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It seems like by the time this year is over no one will be alive.

Except Trump. :(

16. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Keith Richards...

Dr. Wankler, Len, unclesox and 1 other person repped this.
  17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Dr. Wankler, Len, unclesox and 2 others repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    .... and the other Rolling Stones members how come the guys who probably took more drugs and alcohol than anyone else in the world are all still going strong in their seventies plus they still have all their own thick , long hair ??

Unless they’re all pickled and are as bald as a bowling ball ?

19. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I mentioned in another thread that I saw him steal a base the year he broke the stolen base record: here I'll just point out that he still may play a huge role in Chicago Cubs lore as being part of the worst trade in franchise history. Brock to St. Louis, where he had a career that led him to Cooperstown, for Ernie Broglio, a pitcher who had two great seasons (of 8) for the Cards, and went on to go 7-20 with a 5.5+ERA over three seasons for the Cubs.

Of course, among Cubs fans, it's not a foregone conclusion that this is their Worst. Trade. Ever. There are a lot to choose from.

That's kind of funny, though, in retrospect:

https://calltothepen.com/2020/09/07/st-louis-cardinals-remembering-lou-brock-trade/

At the time, Broglio was considered to be the key part of the trade, a possible ace heading to a Cubs team desperate to return to the postseason. Since he had posted a 30-17 record with a 2.99 ERA over the previous two years, Broglio was the piece the Cubs thought they needed.

Meanwhile, when the trade was announced, there was an uproar – in the Cardinals locker room. Broglio was a popular player in the clubhouse, beloved by his teammates. Brock, meanwhile, had plenty of potential, but was very raw. Bob Gibson summed up the feeling amongst the Cardinals players, saying that they thought it was the worst trade ever.

Brock quickly changed the Cardinals’ player’s minds. Those hard feelings regarding the departure of their friend changed as soon as they saw Brock running. It did not take long for the players to realize that having someone like that atop their lineup would help them win.

That would prove to be the case in 1964. At the time of the trade, the Cardinals were in eighth place in the National League with a 28-31 record, seven games out of first and on a five game losing streak. St. Louis caught fire from that point, and used an eight game winning streak at the end of September to pass the Phillies and Reds to capture the pennant. The Cardinals would then go on to win the World Series in seven games, with Brock impressing in the postseason.​

21. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    #3097 Len, Sep 7, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    I saw the headline, "Bruce Williamson Jr, former singer for The Temptations, dies at 49." Before I finished my first thought, 'Oh man....' it hit me, "49?!?". Turns out he didn't join the Temptations until the 2000s; still, RIP and ...

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    [​IMG]

Kevin Dobson, 'Kojak' & 'Knots Landing' Star, Dies At 77
    - Variety
    https://variety.com/2020/tv/obituar...son-dead-dies-kojak-knots-landing-1234761607/

Kevin Dobson, an actor best known for his starring roles on the CBS shows “Kojak” and “Knots Landing,” died on Sunday. He was 77. Dobson was born in Queens, New York, on March 18, 1943

A former Army soldier and Long Island Rail Road conductor, Dobson began his acting career in the late 1960s, first appearing on shows like “One Life to Live,” “The Doctors,” “The Mod Squad,” “Emergency!” and “Cannon.” His first major role came on “Kojak,” where he played detective Bobby Crocker, opposite star Telly Savalas’ lead role as lieutenant Theo Kojak. The show aired for five season on CBS from 1973-1978, and Dobson reunited with the cast for the 1990 TV movie “Kojak: It’s Always Something.”

Dobson joined the cast of the primetime soap opera “Knots Landing” during its fourth season in 1982. He played Marion Patrick “Mack” MacKenzie, the love interest and eventual husband of star Michele Lee’s character Karen MacKenzie. He was a main cast member of the series until its cancellation in 1993 after 14 seasons. He and the cast reunited for a miniseries called “Knots Landing: Back to the Cul-De-Sac” in 1997. For his role, he earned five Soap Opera Digest Awards throughout his career.

He appeared on several other soap operas, like “The Bold and the Beautiful” as judge Devin Owens from 2006-2007 and “Days of Our Lives” as Mickey Horton in 2008. His other film credits included “Midway,” “All Night Long” (as Barbra Streisand's husband), and “1408.”

TimB4Last repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003