Family killed in landslide at Portuguese resort

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by jec1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8215048.stm

2. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Its unfortunate, but it appears they were probably walking along the far stretch of the beach where the water comes up against the rocks. Its a sad event, but something that happens once and a while at places like Albufeira, or Praia de Roca

3. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    I saw this on the news last Friday at the local bar while waiting for my dinner. Then I realized it was close to my home in Algarve, and couldn't wait to get home and call the family to make sure they were Ok.

Once I found out all were fine, I still couldn't stop thinking of the five people that perished there in Albufeira.

People tend to go to the these beaches, and stay in the shade by the rocks. We have the same type of rocks by our beaches, and I love to walk by there take pictures, but never camp there.

4. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    Apparently a minor scale earthquake nearby Faro occurred a few days before the incident. That might contributed to the degradation of that particular rock. But anyway, that family died out of stupidity. There was a clear sign advising people not to approach the rocks.

5. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well, this is the rock that collapsed at the Praia de Maria Luisa in Albufeira.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see in the first picture, people are positioned almost directly under it. I have done it as well on a few different beaches in Portugal, my mom and pops did it at Praia de Rocha in Portimao... It just a sad situation...

P.S: Praia de Maria Luisa looks really nice though. The water is a gorgeous light blue in midday...

6. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    In the midday sun it's hard not to search for the shade of the rocks while at the beach there. Done it myself. Right place at the wrong time .

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Exactly...I am pretty sure most of us have been guilty of this.

8. PassItOn

PassItOn New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    NJ
    My God this picture really explains it all, the law of gravity.
    When you look at the rock, it's much larger at the top, then the bottom.

I stay at beaches like this all summer, and I rather take a umbrella for shade. Their are so many beaches were you can get great shades, but the rocks are part of land.
    Personally I like to go to the beach around 10 come home for lunch at 1, then go back at 4, and stay till 7.
    That's my perfect beach day.

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sometimes I use that regime. But often we have heavy nights, so we only get to the beach at 11, and we stay till about 3, then go back for 5. till about 8. Everyonce in a while we still right there on the beach, bring a lunch or eat on one of the nearby resturants/Cafe's. It really is a beautiful life...