Falklands / Malvinas heats up

Discussion in 'International News' started by The Biscuitman, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina believes the islands are an integral part of the province of Tierra del Fuego. They amended their constitution in 1994 to reflect that. Again, the US was in a similar situation in the 1850's in regards to the San Juan Islands, today in Washington State. The Macri Admininstration is less obsessed with the islands than the Kirchners (particularly Cristina) were.

2. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Oh well, that settles the Falkland issue then. :rolleyes:
    Kaiser Willie had a word or two about the San Juan's, no conflict there either. :D

They amended their constitution in 1994 to reflect that. :p

3. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The US and British settled the San Juans sovereignty dispute, with help from the mediating Kaiser Wilhelm I. It's too bad the British see it as "Show's over. There's nothing to see here."

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If Canada decided they wanted Alaska, what do you believe the USA should do about it?

5. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    We could ask the German guy to decide the issue [I believe his handle is "Black and Blue since 1860"]. I'm sure he would settle this in a dignified manner. :coffee:

6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let them have it?

[​IMG]

:D

7. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Laugh.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    But then you would of course get around the negotiating table to resolve the dispute, no?

M repped this.
  9. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The CFB is smaller than the NYPD. The British helpfully negotiated with us over disputed territory. Canada got squadoosh.

10. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Well...Canada had better act quickly. President Trump will make the Northern Wall his 1st priority. :coffee:

Chesco United repped this.
  11. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Show's over unless and until Argentina convinces the Falkland Islanders that they should become part of Argentina. Let's just say the antics of Galtieri and, more recently, the Kirchners haven't exactly helped that cause.

england66 repped this.
  12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Imaginationland is the only place where disputes are resolved when one side gives nothing and the other side is content with that. The USA would not negotiate with Canada over Alaskan sovereignty, nor should they, and similarly nor should Britain negotiate with Argentina with regard to the Falkland Islands.

13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Canada isn't disputing sovereignty. Russia might.

14. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    FYP..:)

What else would the British do. Then or now? Only 2 ways to the San Juan's. Across the Atlantic, around the Horn and up the pacific. That's a long row. Or across Canada.
    Not much commercial or strategic value to be worth while.

Beautiful place by the way. We used to stay at a friends cabin on Orcas Island in the summers and we've sailed in the islands a lot. Visited both the Engerlish and the American camps. Both parks now with the old cabins still there.

Chesco United repped this.
  15. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    What do you think the US's reaction would be if Russia did? Say "Oh yes, we need to negotiate sovereignty with the Russians immediately" perhaps?

16. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    President Trump will send Sec. of State Moose Palin with a few Montana Militia Recruits to secure the area. :coffee:

Naughtius Maximus and Chesco United repped this.
  17. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's the first time I've seen those two words put together like that...

[​IMG]

:eek:

18. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Wow, not only does Moose have to keep one eye from her front porch at Russia. Now she has to keep her other eye out on the back porch at Canada.
    Talk about responsibility.

19. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Geez....wake up and smell the Chamomile! There will be no pussyfooting with this.

Learn it....Love it....Live it! :coffee:

Ps...a proud Leicester FC supporter since 2 May 16!

20. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    Got that covered...we'll recruit this pair.

[​IMG]

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can see your point. Argentina is a very attractive country with a rich culture, and it boasts a vibrant Welsh community in Patagonia. But until it takes serious steps to fix its economic and political corruption, it is not an attractive alternative for the islanders to being part of Britain and to the generous welfare that Britain provides them. And the antics of the Junta and later of the Kirchners didn't help.

I agree that Argentina should concentrate primarily on rebuilding its economy and its political system, and desist from using the issue of the Malvinas as a domestic political ploy. If the nation becomes stable politically and economically, then perhaps the primarily Welsh islanders -or more realistically their grandchildren/great-grandchildren - might consider joining their Welsh counterparts in Argentina as a desirable alternative to remaining a part of the distant and decaying British empire. Then Britain will have to choose whether or not to honor the desire of the islanders, as they claim to do now when it's to their advantage to use that argument.

I grant that today we are very far from something like that.

M, Naughtius Maximus and usscouse repped this.
  22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Her so called obsession had more to do with manipulating the Argentine people than with any realistic thoughts of actually recovering the Islands.

Talking about sovereignty over the Islands and disparaging Britain pleases the masses, but after the results of the disgraceful failure by the Junta the Argentine people do not have the will to support another attempt by force to regain the islands, and even a myopic leader like Cristina knew that.

Chesco United and usscouse repped this.
  23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think there's a question about it, if the islanders say they see an advantage in becoming part of Argentina, (or, more likely, having joint sovereignty of some sort), then any British government will HAVE to accept it... end of story.

For christ sake, we, (as in England, Wales and Northern Ireland), were talking not so long ago about SCOTLAND becoming independent and they're physically connected to us... we're NOT gonna do it for some islands thousands of miles away??? Of course we would!

So, yeah, if Argentina opens up trade and movement back and forth and becomes a free and functioning democracy for an extended period, (as we generally thought they HAD until quite recently, tbh :(), I can see the islanders changing their mind in time.

However, I think there would have to be some advantage to it... say, if they have joint sovereignty they'd have zero rate tariffs on trade back and forth... that sort of thing.

Maybe a vote in certain types of election or an Island council with some powers?... y'know, something that makes sense for their local interests.

It't not really for me to come up with it, is it but you get my point :)

24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Joint sovereignty is more likely to appeal to the British government than the Falklands one, if anything.

25. roby

roby Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    A more appropriate name would be in order.

Las Malvinas/Faulkland Isl.

I like it! :)