Falcons consider Doraville Possible Stadium site?

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by DCUdiplomat96, Dec 24, 2008.

1. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what are the Soccer implication?? location would not be bad.

2. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Probably none, unless it means he's going to bail on MLS to do a stadium for the Falcons. I can't see a soccer team sharing a stadium. Seattle was a one-time deal.

3. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the Dome lease ends between 2015 and 2022. Asssuming a new falcons staduim will be built before then.

4. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I believe it ends in 2020. If the Sembler group is going build it with their money, I don't think people will have a problem with it. I don't, however, think the taxpayers would be too happy having to foot the bill. I wonder, with the developments with the Arena league taking a year off (as with the Silverbacks, "sitting out" may mean "RIP"), if Blank may step up getting a soccer stadium built. I really don't think Blank can build both a football stadium and a soccer stadium. And, like I said, I think Seattle was a one-shot deal, unless the folks in Vancouver are allowed play at BC Place temporarily.

5. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Falcons to Doraville = MLS to refurbished 1 Georgia Dome Drive? :D

Or maybe they'll reconfigure Turner Field to its Olympic Stadium size and move MLS there, so our soccer team can play there like the teams in other former Olympic cities (Rome, Torino, etc.)?

Frankly, Falcons to Doraville is, to use a technical term, damned stupid :rolleyes:

6. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Nope to both. The Dome is too narrow for soccer, and too big for MLS. It would take too much work and too much $$$ to reconfigure for soccer (and it'd still be too big, and turf on top of that). The Ted was never used for soccer, even when it was in Olympic configuration (games were played at UGA, sans hedge, among other places). Again, no way in heck to build it back. Plus, there is a baseball team (you may have heard of them--the Braves? :D), that might not like that too much (but then, if they made it look like the old Polo Grounds, and got some dude who could hit the long ball, and run like the wind, can anyone say "inside the park homer-fest?). it would be nice, though, to have a couple of "test matches" at the Ted, to measure the interest in MLS.

If the Falcons don't move to Doraville, they would be better off leveling the Dome and building something on the site (like the city would go for that), and play at Tech for a couple of years. But Tech's not on MARTA, either, although the North Ave. station isn't that far (used it when we used to go to drum corps shows there--ah, them was the days, you betcha!).

7. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Nope to both. The Dome is too narrow for soccer, and too big for MLS. It would take too much work and too much $$$ to reconfigure for soccer (and it'd still be too big, and turf on top of that). The Ted was never used for soccer, even when it was in Olympic configuration (games were played at UGA, sans hedge, among other places). Again, no way in heck to build it back. Plus, there is a baseball team (you may have heard of them--the Braves? :D), that might not like that too much (but then, if they made it look like the old Polo Grounds, and got some dude who could hit the long ball, and run like the wind, can anyone say "inside the park homer-fest?). it would be nice, though, to have a couple of "test matches" at the Ted, to measure the interest in MLS.

If the Falcons don't move to Doraville, they would be better off leveling the Dome and building something on the site (like the city would go for that), and play at Tech for a couple of years. But Tech's not on MARTA, either, although the North Ave. station isn't that far (used it when we used to go to drum corps shows there--ah, them was the days, you betcha!).

8. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Nope to both. The Dome is too narrow for soccer, and too big for MLS. It would take too much work and too much $$$ to reconfigure for soccer (and it'd still be too big, and turf on top of that). The Ted was never used for soccer, even when it was in Olympic configuration (games were played at UGA, sans hedge :)eek:) among other places). Again, no way in heck to build it back. Plus, there is a baseball team (you may have heard of them--the Braves? :D), that might not like that too much (but then, if they made it look like the old Polo Grounds, and got some dude who could hit the long ball, and run like the wind, can anyone say "inside the park homer-fest?). it would be nice, though, to have a couple of "test matches" at the Ted, to measure the interest in MLS.

9. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

10. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA

11. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I thinks its a long shot falcons wont get a new staduim to break ground til at least 2012... if they pay off the bonds before the lease run out. but still even if the falcons find a way to early out the gA dome they still need a venue to play until the stadium is built. I dont know Sanford stadium? ... but the doraville stuff is preliminary. and just a option.... Better than Gwinnet county or Kennesaw or Canton. no where near Atlanta. lolo

12. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the ga dome field can be modified for soccer ive seen several tournements played there so the field is never a issue.

13. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was kidding, especially about my beloved Bravos :D

Test matches at the Ted sounds like fun though!

14. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean Baseball Club (BC) Atlanta, aka the BirdDawgz? :D

A test soccer match at the Ted sounds like a winner, especially with that view from the Chop House :cool:

15. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleanup on aisle 5! A 5-post by DavidP, and we already have: "Stadium discussion: Location, Size, Parking, etc..." thread...

16. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    This is a test.

17. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Something, somewhere had a freak-out the night I posted that. In fact, it was only after I sent the "test message that I was able to read the newer stuff. My apologies. It has happened to some other folks in other threads as well over the weekend.

18. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Perhaps, but in order for the field to meet minimum standards, it would need to be a lot wider. It would cost a ton to do that. They'd have to do permanently what was done temporarily at Giants Stadium for the '94 World Cup. Either that, or what they did at the Cotton Bowl and Rose Bowl, and that would cost a bunch as well.

19. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    That would really be the only gauge available to test Atlanta's MLS waters. And it would have to be a weekend match, not Wednesday at 7:00, just after rush-hour. That would be literally sabotage, and would kill any Atlanta bid.

20. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I beleive Sports is more polictical in Atlanta and the State Of Georgia, than people want to give credit for..... Look at HS football just 3 weeks for the first time ever the state Championships was finally Played in the dome after all those yrs of S. Georgia HSs Complaining bout travel., When was the last time the Atlanta Silverback had any coverage from the AJC? or any Local TV or Radio?

Yes there is a fan base here, not as strong as other places but its there, but the question is when that fan base gonna step up.... i see a strong latino base but that can sometimes can be bad for over all soccer in Atlanta. 'Cause you cant simply rely on them to bring More soccer or a better hope for expansion(MLS) to Atlanta. ... We have many eligible sites for a SSS and a ready made SSS just sitting there, another stadium in MBC just sitting there and other places. So what really need to get the ball rolling is to prove to arthur Blanks (yes i said blanks cause i dont respect him alot especially after the Micheal Vick issue.) that the ATL ia Soccer worthy, i also think the Soccer has alot to prove to Atlanta really.

21. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    I know what you're insinuating. Give it up. Now.

22. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this was the first time the championship was played in the Dome. My HS played a Championship game there years ago before losing the game, again, this year ;)

BINGO!!!!! :D

23. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't really use the local media's coverage of a USL team to gauge their potential interest in an MLS team. The Toronto Lynx could have held reporters hostage and not made the news. TFC seems to be doing just fine. The Utah Blitzz was ignored, RSL gets coverage. You see where I'm going with this.

I really hope Atlanta gets a team. I have tons of family in Georgia (grandfather worked for Northeast Airlines, got bought by Delta, moved down from Boston in 1972). Snellville, Auburn, Decatur, Stone Mountain...I'd love to go down and bring them to an MLS game. My cousin's wedding reception in '06 ended up being at the same hotel that housed the Silverbacks Bar & Grille (names escapes me now) and my family was pretty impressed. They're very much "Joe Sixpack" sports fans, NASCAR/Dirty Birds/Red Sox (we kept some of them in line), and had the opinion you'd expect of soccer but that bar all by itself got them interested. Some of them even went to Silverbacks games. You could tell, though, that the fact that it was minor league did not excite them in the way a "pro" team would.

Good luck.

24. DCUdiplomat96

DCUdiplomat96 Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prior to the 2008 season all GHSA state Football Championship games was played at home HS stadiums. the SEMI finals was held in the Dome, Since 1995.

coach Hunter(ex brookwood coach) along with some other had been trying to get the Vote for the Championships in the dome for several years... but this yrs Championship games was the very first time ever

25. FC Zanarkand Abes!

Aug 13, 2007
    Resurgens Atlanta FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough :p