fakes/posers/band-wagon fans.

Discussion in 'England Rivalries' started by Jacinto, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Jacinto

Jacinto New Member

Apr 13, 2006
    England
    one word for you lot "WANKERS" i have come across a few people who are trying to look like hard-core football fans but frankly cant even name there "teams" line-up or manger. I was in california during my easter-break for 1 week, I went into a subway and I was wearing my man united kit, a guy sits down and says "hey a man u fan" i said "alright mate" then he says he is also a supporter of the club and he think SAF should be sacked, I asked him on what basis, he tell me because he doesnt like him and he is to old? I ignored that and asked him and which other teams he likes he says he likes chelsea and liverpool aswell. THIS GOES AGAINST THE 10 COMMANDMENTS OF FOOTBALL!
    "THOU SHALL ONLY SUPPORT ONE CLUB AND LOVE THAT CLUB AS IF IT WAS YOUR CHILD."

anyways we left, and me and my cousins had a good laugh about it afterwards, but seriously somthing needs to be done about these people who think they know about football and try and teach you about the game, surly someone can agree with me.

2. act smiley

act smiley Member

Feb 8, 2005
    Cardiff
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Well, I guess I'm a little soft - I understand a guy I know being a Tottenham and Portsmouth fan as he was at Portsmouth's youth academy and had been a Tottenham fan before that, but you're right - plastic fans can be hilariously annoying.

3. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    other than fans who were first taken to games by someone else (be it family members or mates) pretty much every fan starts off as something of a bandwagon jumper. When a team starts doing well then they attract more fans. More people take an interest. That's the way it's always been. I've got no problem at all with new fans and find those who have some kidn of bitterness twoards them kind of sad.

However, I do really dislike fans, like the one above, who have strong opinions despite clearly knowing F all about what they are talking about. I also hate the kind of fan who tries to hide the part-ttime nature of his support by going over the top in trying to show how much it means to him. That kind of fan is very much in evidence if you watch an England match in a pub, particularly during wolrd cup time.

4. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Well I support 3 clubs, 2 properly.

Newcastle United because that was my home club and I love them, and have done since I was 11. I was fairly regular visitor to st James Park, which was difficult back then as there was a 6 year waiting list for season tickets. I have been at some of there best and worst European nights too. No-one goes before these lot, no matter how depressing it gets.

I support actively KSC (Karlsruhe) here in Germany no since I moved here for work. I have a season ticket and go to all the home games. I am going to the Allianz Arena on Friday to watch them away against 1860 Munich.

I also keep an eye out for Stoke City results, having studied there and visited the old Victoria ground on several occasions.

You can support several clubs, especially if they are in different leagues if not countries. However if any two of them met, I would be bleeding black and white. I see nothing wrong with supporting KSC and NUFC, I just love going to the football and have alsways chosen my local team no matter where they were when I started.

5. momocfc

momocfc New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    swansboro nc
    fakes/posers/band-wagon fans

there are some genuine fansofenglish soccer,living in the usa we aint all wankers,ive supported chelsea since 1965,iwent to every home gametill 1978 when i moved out of london,i also made it to few away games,ie fulham ,spurs ,birmingham, west ham,arsenal,bruges,old trafford,and anfield,so i will challenge you to answer five questions about england or english football,ihave now lived in the usa since 1988,but i could still answer those questions,i have to be honest i could not answer what show that was iaint been home since 1988.now this year if england get to meet brazil and score first,they should park the busto make sure that they win,we have the best damn defenders in the world ,who are capable of doing it.

6. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Well i do think plastics/band-wagon fans are kinda annoying myself but i don't have any hate over it, pretty funny story you said there.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ??

When was "back then"?

Not trying to be funny, but 19 years ago, when you were 11 (according to your profile) there was not a 6 year waiting list for season tickets. Crowds were around the 23,000 mark.

8. tino11

tino11 New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Karlsruhe - Germany
    Not when I was eleven, but during the era after we survived relagation from the second division and Hall pumped a load of cash into the club sparking the regeneration of the club and it's facilities. Keegan was in charge and we won promotion to the Premiership. There were a number of years where you could not buy single match day tickets as it was exclusively season ticket, which created a demand and a waiting list. It was only about 4 years ago that NUFC created enough space with the season ticket holders to allow 3,000 or 4,000 general sales tickets as rule.

9. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    heheh one time a guy saw my united jersey and said he was a fan, and then preceded to tell me how soccer was the worlds #1 sport, and how overseas "they go crazy for that stuff". We were in a restaurant and my face turned red. I was just hoping he would go away, but I'm sure if he were here he'd be claiming to be a "real" fan.

10. momocfc

momocfc New Member

Feb 15, 2005
    swansboro nc
    the same thing happens when i wear one of my sooccer team shirts,i just enjoy any one who questions myallegiance,being put in their places,i dont start nothing,just hope i get to finish.

11. StoneIsland

StoneIsland Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, aren't you all hardcore. You probably don't need a dirty mag or anything get it up, the thought of your own rightousness is more than enough.

12. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    Well said. I am an American and a new fan to football. I am addicted and have been doing lot's of research...asked lot's of questions....because I am passionate about the game and the EPL. I will always admit I am a newbie, but I don't consider myself plastic or whatever.

You have to start somewhere... the guy from Subway sounds foolish. (casting his opinions around that way). Be open, not bitter or arrogant...and remember, not all new fans are like that guy. Especially us soccer chicks!;)

13. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    BTW Jacinto...Michael Jackson is your fav music? Tell me it's not true.:eek: :p

14. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Far worse than so called "posers" are the elitist pricks who for whatever reason think their own myopic opinions about the sport are somehow gospel and that anyone who disagree's with them is some kind of retard glory hunter.

Not saying thats you btw....just saying like.

15. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    heheh it's true

16. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    Well, I usually support the team that has my favorite players, it is not necessarily the same team season after season, because with changing lineups, I find I don't feel the same passion as before and the team is totally different. If this is what you are referring to, then sorry, but I like what I like, unless you are referring only to English supporters, OH, but you are not since that subway guy wasn't, I don't agree with him, but if you think non English fans will support an english team forever as if it were ther child, you are very wrong, why would they???

17. Three Rivers

Three Rivers Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make good points about being a fan of certain players. I also think that playing style might affect what teams you'd like. However, I think that a home town team should presidence over all others. Yes, because of Bobby and Marcus I took an actve interest in Reading this year (like all Americans):)
    and because Bob Kraft was reported to be interested in investing in Liverpool, I paid close attention to the Reds as well(gotta love that Stevie G.). However, the Revs come first and foremost in my mind. And if anyone called me plastic for taking an interest in two other clubs (that were both doing so well lately) there's nothing I can do but shrug my shoulders.

18. OrlandoSPUR

OrlandoSPUR **** the Nomads

Apr 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'm a self confessed band wagon fan, jumped on it in '81. But I can only be pissed at myself for that.

19. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights

Ahhh, come on Spurs! :)

20. marseillefan22

marseillefan22 New Member

Apr 27, 2006
    Baltimore
    wat really pisses me off are the people that accuse you of being a bandwagoner because you barrack for a good team, ive been supporting manchester united ever since i learned how to play soccer and ive not even thought of voting for another epl team. bandwagoners are the people that suddenly become united fans when they turn 20.

21. Footie4ever

Footie4ever New Member

Oct 30, 2005
    The Heights
    So I only started watching after 20....b/c in America in the 80's and 90's....it has always been about baseball and American football. Now, I'm addicted...so am I bandwagon or plastic?

I think if any fan gets into the sport, it's good for the sport....especially to spread it in the US.

Know-it-all's are always tedious company...in any situation. If you love and know your team...you are not plastic. ;)

22. chipotaple

chipotaple Member

Mar 31, 2006
    CA
    Club:
    CD Chalatenango
    This type of "Bandwagon haters" kind of atmosphere is just felt with epl team english supporters by the way, don't ask if you are plastic, only you know who you are, and to me nothing else matters as long as you are true to yourself. That is why epl atmosphere is usually weird like that, I like some of the players in the epl teams, but prefer to stay at serie A or eredivisie and to a certain extent even laliga before epl, just because of the tense atmosphere they keep instead of just enjoying the subject.

23. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

AKA, American Chelsea supporters.

24. SpursGlory

SpursGlory Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Seattle Sounders FC
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You might as well throw in American Arse and Man U fans too... they easily out number the newest flavor of the week. Most just haven't gotten their shiny new blue jerseys yet.

25. ToBeAGooner

ToBeAGooner New Member

Jan 3, 2006

What Spursglory? Spurs have had glory? More like a glory hole in the dressing room.